01-14-11 02:17 PM
95 123 ...
tools
    According to the link below, Verizon is dropping two year contracts. I don't have the capacity right now to figure out what that means long term - but I think it sucks. Imagine going to buy a Lexus and the guy says he can only give you a 1 year lease.

Watching all the holiday commericals where spouses are 'surprised' at the new car they just got as a present... all I can think of is about what world are they talking about where a spouse is not consulted about expensive purchases? How much wealth does it take to buy a car without your spouse being part of the decision? My point? I'm beginning to feel like the world has many many more people in it with much more money. I thought I was middle class... but.. every day I'm feeling poorer and poorer. I have six people in my house and I'm the only person with a phone that has today's technology and even that phone is losing ground. Why? I can't afford to get my family today's cell phones when I can use that money to buy a Lexus. Which, I can't do either because of $$$ - but you get the point.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...nths-new-phone
    01-04-11 01:42 PM
    Yea I read this too. I hope my next device gets a decent discount. I am eligible for an anual upgrade right now which I will use once the LTE devices are out.
    01-04-11 01:46 PM
    Maybe it's time to move on from Big Red then. which sucks because I don't like the other carriers at all.
    01-04-11 01:57 PM
    Speculation is this is part of the iPhone agreement. They will probably let people upgrade early to iPhone but they will be stuck with it for 20 months. So when the iPhone 5 comes out that works on Verizon and AT&T this summer people will be pissed.
    01-04-11 01:58 PM
    Seriously? Live with what you can afford. Look for bargains, strike when it suits you. The latest and greatest is put before you to create anxiety, sleight-of-hand to pick your pocket. Don't let 'em fool ya, once the gleam is off, they'll shove something else shiny, and it still won't be enough http://photocdn.sohu.com/20060111/Img227720335.mp3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-04-11 at 02:07 PM.
    01-04-11 02:01 PM
    I guess this doesn't bother me much since I've always stuck with phones for 2 years most of the time anyway because I made my mother the primary line because I can afford new phones moreso than she can and she would use the new every two. I guess it would bother some people, but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    01-04-11 02:06 PM
    sorry, but i read it as they will still offer two-year contracts, but they will limit when you can upgrade if you sign a two year contract. makes sense to me - you sign a two year contract because you want a better phone for less money up front. verizon just wants to make sure they are getting their money's worth out of your contract by limiting when you can upgrade from that original contract.

i see nothing in that link that implies that verizon will not allow two year contracts after january 16th.
    01-04-11 02:14 PM
    read that again.. they arent getting rid of the 2 year contracts... they are only making people wait longer before allowing them to upgrade. So, instead of like 13-17 months.. you MUST wait 20 months before getting an upgrade. And they are getting rid of the NE2 deal... doesnt mean that 2 years are gone, its just that program is gone.
    01-04-11 02:14 PM
    Where does it say they are abandoning 2 year contracts? All I see if they are modifying their upgrade terms and are going to make people wait long to do so. Nothing about 2 year contracts being gone. I'm not sure if the OP read it. I'm also not sure why they went on a rant about how poor they feel. Ok anyway.....

I guess Verizon may be feeling like they aren't recouping all the costs of the subsidized device when they let you upgrade early. Who knows. I always thought they carrier would love for you to upgrade every year to keep you in a long contract and with the new ETF fees they rolled out with, leaves them at a point where it's a win-win. Either they keep you for the duration of the contract or you pay a massive ETF fee for a smartphone. Anyhow this is what the customers have to live with to be on the nation's largest carrier, I guess. I left them because of all their nickel and dime tactics and upgrade rules. Great carrier in general but not worth the hassle for me.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 01-04-11 at 02:29 PM.
    01-04-11 02:23 PM
    Seriously? Live with what you can afford. Look for bargains, strike when it suits you. The latest and greatest is put before you to create anxiety, sleight-of-hand to pick your pocket. Don't let 'em fool ya, once the gleam is off, they'll shove something else shiny, and it still won't be enough http://photocdn.sohu.com/20060111/Img227720335.mp3

Jesus **** i cant like this post enough.

This is NOT A BIG DEAL! I upgrade my phones on average every 2-4 months. Verizon is changing its upgrade policy to not kill themselves when the iPhone comes. You know Apple isnt selling them any less than 499 and 599 to Verizon, and they aren't going to sell them to consumers any less.

If you want a new device, sell your current one and buy a new one for not even 200 bucks more, the same cost of buying one on contract. I dont see why this is a big deal at all to anyone.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-04-11 02:26 PM
    Well it doesnt actually say they are getting rid of 2 year contracts. It says customers on a 2 year contract will no longer be eligible for early upgrade durung months 13-20, which can be done right now. It also says they will be getting rid of the new every 2 discounts. So no, they arent getting rid of 2 years contracts, but I cant say I agree with what they are doing!
    Where does it say they are abandoning 2 year contracts? All I see if they are modifying their upgrade terms and are going to make people wait long to do so. Nothing about 2 year contracts being gone. I'm not sure if the OP read it. I'm also not sure why they went on a rant about how poor they feel. Ok anyway.....
    that's the way I read it, but it still sucks, I like my annual upgrade on my primary line.
    01-04-11 02:26 PM
    that's the way I read it, but it still sucks, I like my annual upgrade on my primary line.
    I agree. And I had that on AT&T and now with Sprint so I'm good.

Here's my question, if they change this policy does that change the terms on your contract and allow you to opt out if you like? Or is the upgrade stuff not written in the actual contract? Anyone?
    01-04-11 02:33 PM

Here's my question, if they change this policy does that change the terms on your contract and allow you to opt out if you like? Or is the upgrade stuff not written in the actual contract? Anyone?
    my take is that this policy will be applied to new or upgrade contracts.
    01-04-11 02:35 PM
    Jesus **** i cant like this post enough.

This is NOT A BIG DEAL! I upgrade my phones on average every 2-4 months. Verizon is changing its upgrade policy to not kill themselves when the iPhone comes. You know Apple isnt selling them any less than 499 and 599 to Verizon, and they aren't going to sell them to consumers any less.

If you want a new device, sell your current one and buy a new one for not even 200 bucks more, the same cost of buying one on contract. I dont see why this is a big deal at all to anyone.
    I do agree with you that all you need to do is sell your current device but that will also depend on your device because you'd have to buy the new device full retail if not through a 3rd party. I agree and that's the method I always take.

I believe with AT&T, Apple gets all the money on every iPhone. The carrier gets the benefit of the contract and data costs and of course some behind the scenes stuff. So I don't think Apple actually sells the devices to the carrier. It's almost like you are buying it from Apple just through your carrier. I think this is why AT&T has more strict policies when it comes to purchasing and upgrading to iPhones because they don't make any money off the sales and any lost on a device they owe to Apple.
    01-04-11 02:38 PM

from what it seems like after the 16th if you do upgrade you agree to the new terms and no longer get the annual upgrade. New upgrade = New Contract + New Terms.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-04-11 02:41 PM
    verizon not dropping two year contracts. OP not getting a job at new york post as headline writer.
    01-04-11 02:41 PM
    Wow! this sucks, I guess I will stay with buying on ebay. Kind of wish I could get away from verizon.
    01-04-11 02:46 PM
    from what it seems like after the 16th if you do upgrade you agree to the new terms and no longer get the annual upgrade. New upgrade = New Contract + New Terms.

Yeah that makes the most sense. If I bought high end phones all the time every couple months, I would never extend my contract. I would always sell that one and use the money to purchase the next one at full retail. Obviously, it's not the best thing to do financially, but I guess if you have the money putting out 200 bucks every 3-6 months isn't bad if you like having the newest phone out.
    01-04-11 02:50 PM
    I do agree with you that all you need to do is sell your current device but that will also depend on your device because you'd have to buy the new device full retail if not through a 3rd party. I agree and that's the method I always take.

I believe with AT&T, Apple gets all the money on every iPhone. The carrier gets the benefit of the contract and data costs and of course some behind the scenes stuff. So I don't think Apple actually sells the devices to the carrier. It's almost like you are buying it from Apple just through your carrier. I think this is why AT&T has more strict policies when it comes to purchasing and upgrading to iPhones because they don't make any money off the sales and any lost on a device they owe to Apple.
    Well for your average HIGH END device, you can sell it on say craigslist for 200-350 a year after launch and only pay marginally to get the new device, which would be 150-300 if the new phone MSRPs at 499. This is what i do right now, but on a quarterly basis to keep up with the newest phones.

And you are right, but iirc Apple makes more than 499 on every iPhone sold due to their exclusive agreement. Its why AT&T is so strict with it, and wont even sell them to anyone NOT on a contract.
    01-04-11 02:52 PM
    Well for your average HIGH END device, you can sell it on say craigslist for 200-350 a year after launch and only pay marginally to get the new device, which would be 150-300 if the new phone MSRPs at 499. This is what i do right now, but on a quarterly basis to keep up with the newest phones.

And you are right, but iirc Apple makes more than 499 on every iPhone sold due to their exclusive agreement. Its why AT&T is so strict with it, and wont even sell them to anyone NOT on a contract.
    Yeah I agree. The more and more a person does this, the bigger whole they are in (money wise) and don't even know it or they don't know what they are doing. But like I said, paying out a few hundred bucks every few months isn't a lot for many people who love upgrading their gadgets. It doesn't seem like much over a period of time. But if put down on paper it's a pretty penny to stay up. The example below is what the potential out of pocket costs are for someone who initially bought a phone on contract for 200 and upgraded 3 times by selling it and using the funds to purchase a new phone every 3 months.

-200 Amt paid initially
    400 Amt sold in 3 mos

200 Profit to towards new device
    -500 Price of new device

-300 Amount out of pocket for new device
    400 Amt sold in 3 mos

100 Profit to towards new device
    -500 Price of new device

-400 Amount out of pocket for new device
    400 Amt sold in 3 mos

0 Profit to towards new device
    -500 Price of new device

-500 Total spent to upgrade twice in 9 mos

So at the end of the day this person actually spent 500 bucks to get the newest phone every 3 months over a 9 month period. For many that's nothing because that what they choose to spend their money on. I am like that. iPhone is probably the only device that is an exception because a person could buy an iPhone for 200, unlock it and sell it for several times the price. I did that this summer. Got one for 200. Unlocked it and sold it for a little over 700. But for most devices, the customers stands to take a monetary loss and the more a person does it, the more money it's costing overall. Like I said, people that love gadgets, the cost is irrelevant as long as they get what they want and they feel they are paying a good price.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 01-04-11 at 03:20 PM.
    01-04-11 03:07 PM
    My bad... The change posted is that the "New every two" would be dropped and not the regular 2 year contracts. I only got to take advantage of the 'new every two' once.
    01-04-11 03:10 PM
    LOL everyone I know (myself included) upgrades their phones every 2 - 3 years. So this really isn't a big deal.
    01-04-11 03:17 PM
    LOL everyone I know (myself included) upgrades their phones every 2 - 3 years. So this really isn't a big deal.
    Yeah most people upgrade every 2 years or longer. The gadget geeks that go about these forums and others are minority. Many general consumers don't even know when they are eligible or even care. My friend has a jailbroken iPhone 3G on TMO. He's been using it for over a year. Well the other day, it started having problems and screen wouldn't come on. So I told him, that he could probably get a free upgrade (via wirefly or letstalk) if he's eligible for an upgrade. He said "How do I determine if I'm eligible". I starting laughing and then told him to contact Tmo (since he doesn't use the website) and see if he's eligible. Turns out he's always been eligible because he started a no contract plan with TMO and didn't even know it. So he's been rocking a 2+ year old iPhone when he could have had something newer but didn't know he could upgrade.

I know this may sound like an extreme case but many general consumers don't care or pay attention to this stuff. They usually don't find out until someone else (like myself) tells them or they go into a store and an associate tells them. It's quite funny.

When I was on AT&T I would buy phones all the time because of the GSM network. Now that I am on Sprint I have to wait for them. It's a pain but it saves me dollars. I know I have blown hundreds of dollars tryna have the best phone possible.
    01-04-11 03:28 PM
    Not a big deal because you don't upgrade often? Some of us have annual upgrades and take VZW up on them. So yeah, it is a big deal.
    01-04-11 03:32 PM
    Upgrading every two years is fine with me.

01-04-11 03:33 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD