02-20-11 10:58 PM
29 12
tools

I've done 10 tests between 3 servers and they all get a minimum of 20 down. I thought I was still plugged into my home network until I checked my Network properties and the 4G is the only service connected. All I have to say is....damn.
    12-10-10 01:18 PM
    That is pretty good. The difference appears to be latency. I just did about 5 speed tests here at work and the ping was never over 32 ms. Still not bad though.
    12-10-10 02:09 PM
    I would like to ask how you used speedtest.net on your Blackberry. I have a Bold 9650 and have been trying to do this for months, with no luck. Any help?
    This isn't from his blackberry. Verizons 4G/LTE is not out for mobile phones yet. This is from a modem card.
    12-10-10 02:33 PM
    Apologies the test were done on a Pantech UML290 LTE USB Modem. If a MOD wants to move this to another forum be my guest. I wasn't sure where to post this.
    12-10-10 02:50 PM
    Its all good I was just curious. Does anyone know of a way to test the speed of your data connection on a Verizon Blackberry?
    Just tether to your computer and run a speedtest.
    12-10-10 05:05 PM
    Just to let you all know the Mobile phone speeds will only be about 1.5 MB tops. Average was like 900KBPS. yea it sucks. Hope it will get better later
    12-21-10 10:57 PM
    Just to let you all know the Mobile phone speeds will only be about 1.5 MB tops. Average was like 900KBPS. yea it sucks. Hope it will get better later
    Where did you get those numbers from? A link or source would be nice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by lastraid; 12-30-10 at 08:08 PM.
    12-22-10 04:38 PM
    I'm fairly certain that this isn't true. I get faster speeds than that on 3G.
    12-22-10 07:30 PM
    I'm fairly certain that this isn't true. I get faster speeds than that on 3G.
    No joke there. I ran a speed test on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network (using a Samsung Vibrant) and pulled down 5mbps.
    12-30-10 02:02 PM
    Rerun the speed test using a Java based speed test. Speedtest.net and Flash apps are not accurate. You aren't getting 20 Mbs down, maybe 5. Dslreports.com has a java app for speed testing. Use that.
    12-30-10 05:09 PM
    12-31-10 09:33 PM

I've done 10 tests between 3 servers and they all get a minimum of 20 down. I thought I was still plugged into my home network until I checked my Network properties and the 4G is the only service connected. All I have to say is....damn.
    Damn! is right dude. Those DL speeds are impressive. I have Charter Communications at Home 25down/5up, and those Verizon Wireless speeds pretty much mirror my speeds at home. Other than my ping latency being much better at home, that is downright awesome speed. Thanks for posting this.
    01-01-11 12:03 PM
    Rerun the speed test using a Java based speed test. Speedtest.net and Flash apps are not accurate. You aren't getting 20 Mbs down, maybe 5. Dslreports.com has a java app for speed testing. Use that.
    I went to a Verizon store today in an LTE market. They have netbooks with LTE aircards plugged into them so you can try out the network.

Let me start by saying, the LTE network is so fast, the netbook cannot keep up. I regularly typed in web addresses for sites I normally go to, and the computer would stop, and about a second later, the entire page popped up. They really shouldn't use a netbook to demo the network. (And, they have it set up so you don't use a "normal" web browser ... it's through a portal.) Even so, it was fast.

So fast, that when I did speedtest.net, I got very similar results to those posted above. I also ran a DSLreports.com speedtest using the Java test. I got just short of 6 mbps down and just over 5 mbps up. Regardless of the speedtest application you use, LTE is fast!!
    01-09-11 04:08 PM
    I went to a Verizon store today in an LTE market. They have netbooks with LTE aircards plugged into them so you can try out the network.

Let me start by saying, the LTE network is so fast, the netbook cannot keep up. I regularly typed in web addresses for sites I normally go to, and the computer would stop, and about a second later, the entire page popped up. They really shouldn't use a netbook to demo the network. (And, they have it set up so you don't use a "normal" web browser ... it's through a portal.) Even so, it was fast.

So fast, that when I did speedtest.net, I got very similar results to those posted above. I also ran a DSLreports.com speedtest using the Java test. I got just short of 6 mbps down and just over 5 mbps up. Regardless of the speedtest application you use, LTE is fast!!
    It's fast but you are going to pay for those bits.
    01-09-11 06:59 PM
    I've been considering whether or not I should upgrade to a 4G USB modem, and service, since I use mobile broadband on my notebook PC. I currently have the old (no longer offered) "unlimited" plan for $59.99/mo.

Got the brochure in the mail yesterday promoting VZW's new 4G LTE gadget. No more "unlimited" plans, as we know, so I when I saw the $50/5GB and $80/10GB offering, I figured I'd check to see the current going rate for the regular 3G service.... and was surprised to see that it's actually the SAME price.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans

But, here's the rub.

If I want to upgrade my modem, I'll have to buy one of the two new 4G styles offered. That's all they have now. The specs say that both are "backward-compatible with 3G," which makes sense, so that they'd work in an area that didn't yet have 4G coverage. But... I also get the message that says, "this device requires a plan change."

So... it looks like I CAN'T get a new modem and still keep my old "unlimited" plan.
    01-30-11 05:06 PM
    I've been considering whether or not I should upgrade to a 4G USB modem, and service, since I use mobile broadband on my notebook PC. I currently have the old (no longer offered) "unlimited" plan for $59.99/mo.

Got the brochure in the mail yesterday promoting VZW's new 4G LTE gadget. No more "unlimited" plans, as we know, so I when I saw the $50/5GB and $80/10GB offering, I figured I'd check to see the current going rate for the regular 3G service.... and was surprised to see that it's actually the SAME price.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans

But, here's the rub.

If I want to upgrade my modem, I'll have to buy one of the two new 4G styles offered. That's all they have now. The specs say that both are "backward-compatible with 3G," which makes sense, so that they'd work in an area that didn't yet have 4G coverage. But... I also get the message that says, "this device requires a plan change."

So... it looks like I CAN'T get a new modem and still keep my old "unlimited" plan.
    The unlimited plan has been gone for a long time. If you had it, you were grandfathered into it. And you can not keep your old plan with a new 4G modem.
    01-30-11 05:24 PM
    Its all good I was just curious. Does anyone know of a way to test the speed of your data connection on a Verizon Blackberry?
    To do a speed test from you blackberry search app world for "gist" (Global Internet Speed Test) I think its a free Cisco app.
    01-30-11 06:08 PM
    The unlimited plan has been gone for a long time. If you had it, you were grandfathered into it. And you can not keep your old plan with a new 4G modem.
    Oh, I know that once a plan is discontinued, you're grandfathered into it, and can't switch back once you change. But in the case of phones, you can get a new one without changing your whole plan (as long as the phone will work on it, of course...if you go from a standard phone to a smartphone, you'd have to add a data plan). I also have a discontinued Family Share plan (not unlimited), and have never been required to change it when we've upgraded phones, or activated different ones, except to add the data package when I got a BB. That's why this surprised me... if the new modems work on 3G as well as 4G, you're just switching a device.
    01-30-11 08:35 PM
    Oh, I know that once a plan is discontinued, you're grandfathered into it, and can't switch back once you change. But in the case of phones, you can get a new one without changing your whole plan (as long as the phone will work on it, of course...if you go from a standard phone to a smartphone, you'd have to add a data plan). I also have a discontinued Family Share plan (not unlimited), and have never been required to change it when we've upgraded phones, or activated different ones, except to add the data package when I got a BB. That's why this surprised me... if the new modems work on 3G as well as 4G, you're just switching a device.
    It's their subtle way of phasing those unlimited MB plans out. Could you imagine....4G unlimited? They ain't having that.
    01-30-11 09:28 PM
    Yeah unfortunately verizon is trying to phase out the unlimited plans, with the launch of iPhone we may see them discontinuing the unlimited data plans for phones too. One way to try out the 4G data card but keep your grandfathered unlimited plan would be to add a line. You could try out the new 4G card on a new plan and worse case just return the device and cancel the new contract. Then if you didn't like the 4G air card you could just keep your old one and still have your grandfathered unlimited plan.

01-30-11 09:50 PM
    Yeah unfortunately verizon is trying to phase out the unlimited plans, with the launch of iPhone we may see them discontinuing the unlimited data plans for phones too. One way to try out the 4G data card but keep your grandfathered unlimited plan would be to add a line. You could try out the new 4G card on a new plan and worse case just return the device and cancel the new contract. Then if you didn't like the 4G air card you could just keep your old one and still have your grandfathered unlimited plan.

If you were to get a 4G modem and ditch the Unlimited Promo plan but you returned the 4G modem within the WFG...you can get it back. But you have to ask them, they won't offer it. They just fill out an inactive pricing form.
    01-30-11 09:57 PM
    Those are pretty good speeds. I'll be interested to see what happens when the network gets phones on LTE and their user per tower increases atleast 100x in the first couple months.
    02-02-11 01:15 PM
    It's their subtle way of phasing those unlimited MB plans out. Could you imagine....4G unlimited? They ain't having that.
    Yeah, I guess it's just another move in that direction. My old modem is still working, but I guess I'll have to give up the unlimited plan whenever I finally HAVE to replace it... whether it stops working, or whenever the whole network goes to 4G, whatever happens first.
    02-02-11 06:36 PM

I thought of that too...but don't really want to bother with an extra line, since I already have 4 on my account. So I'll end up switching to the 4G broadband plan eventually, either when my current modem gives out, or when just stops working because the whole network goes to 4G.
    02-02-11 06:39 PM
    I usually don't like resurrecting threads but I did a firmware update on my Pantech LTE modem....

I was averaging 25-28Mb/s. I've ran 10 tests since 6pm and they average 35 down. Whenever Verizon get some LTE devices....

I hate to say it but when Verizon gets an LTE iPhone I'm gone, bye RIM. I think that's why sales are lagging. No one wants to use their upgrade yet.
    02-18-11 12:53 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD