I hope I don't get blasted, but I didn't find any threads on it. I've read on the Verizon site that they have 3G service and have read on here that Verizon provides GSM service, but not 3G. Given the fact I don't know the in's and out's of the difference between the two, does Verizon provide 3G service? The reason I ask is because on the site it shows the 3G service EV-DO for Verizon and HSPA for AT&T. Does this mean it can do certain types of 3G and depending on an unlocked phone, that phone may or may not fall within the bands that Verizon supports? I'm asking in reference to the N900 which is a 3G phone, yet I have read here and other places it won't work on Verizon, only T-mobile. So if Verizon supports 3G or has a 3G network, why won't it work? I'm asking in regards to the phone, but in essence why does Verizon show the 3G map yet it won't support this phone?

Thanks in advance for the information!
    03-18-10 04:10 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier, same with Sprint. Tmobile and Att are GSM carriers. 3G is just the data speeds, it has nothing to do with phone compatibility. If the N900 is on Tmobile then it won't work at all because it's a GSM phone and Verizon is a CDMA carrier. GSM phones use SIM cards, and CDMA ones don't. I hope this helps a little, but it sounds like you need to do some more research.
    03-18-10 04:33 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier, same with Sprint. Tmobile and Att are GSM carriers. 3G is just the data speeds, it has nothing to do with phone compatibility. If the N900 is on Tmobile then it won't work at all because it's a GSM phone and Verizon is a CDMA carrier. GSM phones use SIM cards, and CDMA ones don't. I hope this helps a little, but it sounds like you need to do some more research.
    Well I definitely won't bite at $500+ for a phone without confirming it will work. I figured it was something like that, just kinda sad that they don't support 3G. This phone looks pretty incredible.

Thanks for the explanation too!
    03-18-10 04:35 PM
    Verizon does have 3G, it's data speeds, not phone compatibility, like I said before. Tmobile and Verizon have completely different networks. One is CDMA and one is GSM. They are not compatible with each other, like I said before. It's two completely different ways of operating a network, and has nothing to do with 3G. Some CDMA phones, like Tour and Storm, have GSM radios in them. They are considered "World Phones," but it doesn't work the other way around. that's just how it is. It seems you need to do more research on networks and not phones is what I meant before.
    03-18-10 04:49 PM
    Who needs 3G anyway...

03-18-10 05:00 PM
    Who needs 3G anyway...

awesome 4G
    03-18-10 05:05 PM
    You might be getting confused with unlocked Verizon phones. Yes, there are phones (only a few) that Verizon makes that can be unlocked. The Storms, Tour, 8830, and a few others are considered world phones because they do have a SIM card slot. The SIM card that is already there is for international roaming ONLY. You can buy an unlocked Verizon phone and use it on GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) but you won't get 3G speeds because the radios in the world phones are not the same frequency as the GSM US carriers actually use.
    03-18-10 05:14 PM
    awesome 4G
    It's actually a free theme, but people are like, "You have 4G?!?"

http://forums.crackberry.com/f148/na...bracht-438162/
    03-18-10 05:15 PM
    You can blame ATT for the confusion, after naming their 3rd generation network, 3G.
    03-19-10 12:18 PM
    EV-DO is the version of 3G used by CDMA providers. HSPA/UMTS is the version of 3G used by GSM providers. As mentioned in a previous post, it was a smart move for the GSM providers to use the generic term "3G", as if theirs was the only kind of third-generation network. They get a lot of mileage over the "my friend's at&t phone says 3G; why doesn't Verizon have 3G?" confusion.

As pointed out, there are a few Verizon phones that both CDMA and GSM radios in them, but while they can be unlocked and provide voice and 2G data service on GSM networks in North America, they can only get GSM 3G service outside of North America, due to North American GSM providers using a different frequency for their 3G service than is used in other parts of the world.

There is a similar situation for 4G. Sprint is using Wi-Max for their 4G; Verizon, at&t, and practically everyone else in the world is using or plans to use LTE for their 4G network, but they are both "4G".
    Last edited by CharlesH; 03-21-10 at 04:19 PM.
    03-21-10 04:11 PM
    You can blame ATT for the confusion, after naming their 3rd generation network, 3G.
    I dunno if they're completely at fault for that. Most carriers are doing it now.

Even VZW phones now display 3G instead of EVDO half the time. :P
    03-21-10 05:46 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier
    Ok????? Thanks for clearing that up?????????
    03-24-10 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD