03-04-10 11:10 AM
166 1234 ...
tools
    I am on the Nationwide plan, and the BIS $29.99 does NOT show on my online account as an option to choose, or an option I am paying for.

Verizon has 3 different data plans

BIS $29.99 for email and web unlimited (the 5G is for tethering)
    10MB for $24.99 for email and web
    BES $44.95 for corporate email and web.

When I went into get my BB, I asked for the BIS $29.99 plan and they put me on the 10MG plan. The person in the store had no clue about the BIS plan.

If you are still not sure you are on the unlimited data plan, when you log into my Verizon and click on the link to check your minutes, you can also check your data usage. If the bar is yellow, that means you don't have unlimited data, if the bar is clear then you have unlimited data and their will be a link to click on to show you how much data you have used to date.
    Before you freak out and see a yellow bar, If you are in the middle of a billing cycle and where paying for data before it will be yellow until the next billing cycle. For example: I had an LG Voyager and paid for 1.99/MB for data. It shows up as such on the data usage. I know have have the $29.99 data option and that shows as unlimited blackberry. The yellow slider keeps movng but that will just be until the next billing cycle (Because there is billable data usage) Clear as mud?
    07-19-08 04:25 AM
    If you have unlimited on your bb it is unlimited with no restrictions. The other has to do with tethering to a laptop. I have unlimited on my bb device and have gone over and over it with customer support. We just got EVDO and they assure me that I can download as much as I want no limit. It is 29.95. It is confusing though. So I call in and make sure it is on record.
    07-26-08 10:03 PM
    Be very careful when dealing with data plans from verizon. I requested the $29.99 unlimited plan when I got my pearl some time ago. I have paperless billing, and rarely check my account online; I just pay my bill every month and call it good. Just last week I logged in to my account online only to find that the rep who setup my account had signed me up for the $44.99/month BES plan. Needless to say, I was angry. Vzw pretty much refused to credit my over-payments and told me my account was my responsibility. Ok, I understand. Fine. The second rep I spoke to about this (the 1st rep was clueless) told me that the $29.99 plan didn't even exist when I initially bought my phone, and that it was only implemented in may. So which is it? A mess up by the initial rep? A non-existent plan that couldn't have even been added to my service to begin with? Who knows. Bottom line? Pay close attention to your account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-08 10:10 PM
    BroadBand Access (BBA) is tethering - the BIS plan for BlackBerries (29.99/mo) is unlimited. On my bill, it says how many megabytes I've used, and how many I'm allotted - and in "Allotted" it says "unlimited."
    07-26-08 11:51 PM
    BroadBand Access (BBA) is tethering - the BIS plan for BlackBerries (29.99/mo) is unlimited. On my bill, it says how many megabytes I've used, and how many I'm allotted - and in "Allotted" it says "unlimited."
    Your statement is true, are you able to tether right now as well? If you are, do you also an extra $30 a month for this feature?
    07-27-08 08:37 AM

Apparently the new BBA plan allows tethering for BIS users as part of the plan. From what I can gather from vzw's website, it is "unlimited" with a cap of 5gb a month in regards to tethering and unlimited for email and mms and sms.
    With Verizon, SMS and MMS are NOT included in your data plan. They can be included as part of your VOICE plan, but they are not included with the data plan. The only company I know that includes SMS in any of their BB plans is Sprint.
    07-27-08 11:35 AM
    The $29.99 plan at VZW DOES NOT include tethering.
    07-27-08 11:54 AM
    geez, I'm glad I did a search on this instead of posting a new topic lol, but this was a lot to take in. I got real curious when I was reading about tethering and not needing VZW Access/air card. Here's my situation, and why I am so curious.
    My bill this month is $185! (getting a little rediculous for me personally). I just got my new Curve a couple of weeks ago. I knew going in I would have to get some kind of BB data package? The rep offered me a 30 or 60 dollar plan? I opted for the $30 - not even real sure what I was getting (I hate going in that place, just wanted to get my phone and get out).
    I'm currently on a $59.99 nationwide plan, 450 mins, unlimited text/pics, etc. On top of that, back in January, I decided to get internet through Verizon. So i'm paying $59.99 a month for VZWaccess. My bill lately had been right around where it should be... the $135-$140 range? My new bill, I assumed, would have the extra $29.99 a month added on. Indeed it apparently has.
    Here's my question, from what I've read on this post, if I upgraded my BB package to allow 'tethering' from my BB, couldn't I just cancel my VZWBroadband plan?? Quick math here, but seems like I could be saving $30 a month..
    This make sense to anybody, am I reading right? And are there pros/cons to tethering as opposed to just having the broadband through my USB card?
    thanks, sorry for all the questions
    mike
    07-27-08 11:47 PM
    Hey guys found this forum and it looks like you all know alot of the ins to this. Do any of you guys have a plan that is both data and voice? that pay under 79.99? if so what is it called because im looking to get a curve but the price to start for the voice data plan is 79.
    07-28-08 12:32 AM
    Hey guys found this forum and it looks like you all know alot of the ins to this. Do any of you guys have a plan that is both data and voice? that pay under 79.99? if so what is it called because im looking to get a curve but the price to start for the voice data plan is 79.
    Are you talking about verizon specifically?

If not check out Sprints Simply Everything Plans

69.99 for Unlimited Blackberry Data
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited Nights Weekends @ 7
    450 Minutes
    Unlimited Nav
    Unlimited Sprint TV
    07-28-08 12:38 AM
    Be very careful when dealing with data plans from verizon. I requested the $29.99 unlimited plan when I got my pearl some time ago. I have paperless billing, and rarely check my account online; I just pay my bill every month and call it good. Just last week I logged in to my account online only to find that the rep who setup my account had signed me up for the $44.99/month BES plan. Needless to say, I was angry. Vzw pretty much refused to credit my over-payments and told me my account was my responsibility. Ok, I understand. Fine. The second rep I spoke to about this (the 1st rep was clueless) told me that the $29.99 plan didn't even exist when I initially bought my phone, and that it was only implemented in may. So which is it? A mess up by the initial rep? A non-existent plan that couldn't have even been added to my service to begin with? Who knows. Bottom line? Pay close attention to your account.

The first rep was clueless, when my upgrade went into affect in May I had already started looking at the data plans and the only one they offered was the $45 one...when I did the upgrade a few weeks ago I had the option of either one. you would think that since you have a data plan they would ask you if you wanted to change and give you the option
    07-28-08 12:39 AM
    yea just for vz
    07-28-08 12:39 AM
    yea just for vz
    I believe for verizon to get unlimited Data, and text its 99.99 for 450 daytime min, and so forth
    07-28-08 12:42 AM
    Here's my question, from what I've read on this post, if I upgraded my BB package to allow 'tethering' from my BB, couldn't I just cancel my VZWBroadband plan?? Quick math here, but seems like I could be saving $30 a month..
    This make sense to anybody, am I reading right? And are there pros/cons to tethering as opposed to just having the broadband through my USB card?
    thanks, sorry for all the questions
    mike
    Tethering would be an additional $15 if you have the $29.99 data plan like me, or at least that's how much it was tonight when I called and had it added on. So let's get this straight...you are at:

$59.99 - Voice/Unltd. text+pix+flix any network
    $59.99 - BroadbandAccess 5GB for your home connection
    $29.99 - Unlimited Web & Email (Data) BlackBerry
    $150 - Total

Here is what it could be with tethering instead.

$59.99 - Voice+texting
    $29.99 - Data
    $15.00 - Tethering Broadband Connect 5GB
    $105 - Total

You could be saving about $45 a month. However, some key things to think about.

- While tethering, you cannot receive phone calls on your blackberry.

- Your phone only supports EV-DO Rev.0 so your speeds would average 400-700kbps down, and 100-200kbps upload.

- Your USB adapter probably supports Rev.A so it can achieve up to 450-800kbps down, and 300-400kbps up. If you are just browsing and doing email and simple things, it wouldn't be an issue, but more is not impossible. I can still stream youtube videos decently but sometimes it needs to rebuffer.

- If you tether via bluetooth, expect lower speeds. If you tether via USB, expect your greatest available/possible speeds for your area, signal, and current time (peak/off peak). For me, I can achieve (down/up) 250/100 over bluetooth, and about 600/130 over USB.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask us

-Caleb
    Last edited by cwake16; 07-28-08 at 01:49 AM.
    07-28-08 01:47 AM
    Sounds like that's what I need to do!! Thanks for the breakdown!!
    I'll hold off a couple more weeks because I'm about to move out and have a roomate, we'll probably look into purchasing cable/internet through our local provider so I can get away from VZW all together as far as my internet goes. I just hate paying that much for a monthly cell bill when I really don't use it 24-7. I use the internet constantly, just to browse and email, but I probably use less than 200 mins a month talking lol. Well, and I do tend to text a lot.
    I'll definitely check into this though, I'd love to save money for a change lol
    thanks again
    07-28-08 10:47 AM
    On verizon's website, if you look at the data plans first, they have them bundled with airtime minutes starting at 79.99. They are called their unlimited data plans. But they are including the Blackberry Enterprise service with this and don't give you the option of signing up for the Blackberry "personal" internet and e-mail service, which also features unlimited data and it is also approx $10 cheaper. The Blackberry enterprise service is for having your company's e-mail pushed to your device, and more than likely you don't want this.
    So if you ever buy a Blackberry from Verizon's website, select the airtime minutes that you want first, select your device second, and then lastly, select the option for Blackberry personal internet and e-mail. Don't just get the bundle that is thrown in front of you. It's kind of misleading and I made that mistake. But to Verizon's credit, they did gladly fix it for me. If you follow these steps, you can get 450 minutes airtime for 39.99 and unlimited personal internet & email for 29.99, bringing your total to 69.98 excluding taxes. Hope this helps.
    08-12-08 11:19 PM
    This has been an enlightening thread... I am not yet a BB phone owner and have the Americas Choice phone plan with 450 minutes a month with no Data plan. Currently using a Samsung i730 MS OS phone.

I didn't know you needed a different specific BB data plan if I got a BB phone. So I have a few questions...

1: It looks like I will have change my current plan and get a BB plan. If I get a 450 minute plan plus a $29 Data plan, does accessing the internet or email effect my voice minutes if I access them during my day time hours... ie. does it count against my monthly voice minutes when I access the net or email?

2: Does BB phones have WiFi enabled or does VZN disable this feature?

3: If WiFi is enabled, couldn't I just have the 450 minute plan and access the net during my night time and weekend free times and have it not cost me anything?

Still trying to sort this all out.
    Dennis
    08-13-08 02:44 AM
    This has been an enlightening thread... I am not yet a BB phone owner and have the Americas Choice phone plan with 450 minutes a month with no Data plan. Currently using a Samsung i730 MS OS phone.

I didn't know you needed a different specific BB data plan if I got a BB phone. So I have a few questions...

1: It looks like I will have change my current plan and get a BB plan. If I get a 450 minute plan plus a $29 Data plan, does accessing the internet or email effect my voice minutes if I access them during my day time hours... ie. does it count against my monthly voice minutes when I access the net or email?

2: Does BB phones have WiFi enabled or does VZN disable this feature?

3: If WiFi is enabled, couldn't I just have the 450 minute plan and access the net during my night time and weekend free times and have it not cost me anything?

Still trying to sort this all out.
    Dennis
    1. no

2. no

3. see 1 or 2
    08-13-08 02:45 AM

This EXACT same thing happened to me...only I think the first time I inquired about the $29.99 plan, they told me I couldn't drop my data plan any (from the $44.99). I called a week or so later and spoke with another rep and he straightened everything out (including my employee discount I wasn't aware was still even on there). He was more than helpful. I'll be watching my bill closer from now on-
    08-13-08 03:27 PM
    I am confused now, so why am I paying $44.95? I have unlimited. So your saying I should only be paying $29.95?
    Unless you're hooked up with a BB Corporate Enterprise System "BES" at work, (which basically pushes email and calendar features to your phone and networks BB users within the company) then no. The $29.99 is what you need
    08-13-08 04:19 PM
    This EXACT same thing happened to me...only I think the first time I inquired about the $29.99 plan, they told me I couldn't drop my data plan any (from the $44.99). I called a week or so later and spoke with another rep and he straightened everything out (including my employee discount I wasn't aware was still even on there). He was more than helpful. I'll be watching my bill closer from now on-
    See? I keep hearing about this more and more.... I mean, ok, technically I am responsible for my own bill, and I should have payed more attention. But come on... When I ask for a certain service at a certain price, as a consumer, that is what I should get. I shouldn't have to babysit VZW.
    08-13-08 04:21 PM
    See? I keep hearing about this more and more.... I mean, ok, technically I am responsible for my own bill, and I should have payed more attention. But come on... When I ask for a certain service at a certain price, as a consumer, that is what I should get. I shouldn't have to babysit VZW.
    You know, I've been a VZN customer for around 10 years, but the more I deal with them it seems that they enjoy preying on the ignorance of their customers.

I just called VZN and asked about their BB plans and was told I would need the $44.95 plan, after confronting the rep about the $29 plan, he went off line for a few minutes then came back and said I could get the $29 plan.

I am really *very* disappointed with VZN and I am seriously thinking of moving over to ATT since I am gaining nothing by staying with VZN.

I hear VZN has a better network, but where I live, Portland Oregon, this doesn't seem to be an issue with my friends who have ATT.

Personally, I think VZN borders on unethical business practices. I know this sounds harsh, but come on, they're big enough to know better and teach their reps what the correct prices are.

The more I think about this the more it's making me mad and I really might leave for ATT. This is the kind business tactics that help me rationalize my reasons for leaving a company for another. Besides, I would really like the Bold phone anyway.

So what do you think, is VZN preying on customer ignorance?

Dennis
    Last edited by dlt123; 08-13-08 at 06:38 PM.
    08-13-08 06:27 PM
    You know, I've been a VZN customer for around 10 years, but the more I deal with them it seems that they enjoy preying on the ignorance of their customers.

I just called VZN and asked about their BB plans and was told I would need the $44.95 plan, after confronting the rep about the $29 plan, he went off line for a few minutes then came back and said I could get the $29 plan.

I am really *very* disappointed with VZN and I am seriously thinking of moving over to ATT since I am gaining nothing by staying with VZN.

I hear VZN has a better network, but where I live, Portland Oregon, this doesn't seem to be an issue with my friends who have ATT.

Personally, I think VZN borders on unethical business practices. I know this sounds harsh, but come on, they're big enough to know better and teach their reps what the correct prices are.

The more I think about this the more it's making me mad and I really might leave for ATT. I want the Bold phone anyway.

So what do you think, is VZN preying on customer ignorance?

Dennis
    I have always been very satisfied with Verizon, up until this point. I'm sure that this is borderling preying on the "ignorance," for lack of better phrase, of customers.

Their reps are generally clueless when it comes to ANYTHING Blackberry-related. They are not properly trained, and the training that they do receive is basically just how to read the BB manual. Um. Really? I am not a complete *****. I can read the manual. Customers call in because they have issues which are not addressed in the manual, so how is this beneficial when a rep pulls up the manual and that is all they have to go by? It isn't.

As far as automatically signing people up for the $45 BES, that is what Verizon does regardless. Period. If you ask for unlimited, they will recommend that plan. When I had my issues, I had three different reps tell me three different things. So, either the reps don't have a working knowledge of their company's plans and pricing, or they are trying to extort extra money. Either way, it's wrong and unacceptable.
    08-13-08 06:35 PM
    WOW....and I thought Sprint CS was bad....At least we only have two options now...just a SEP plan with BIS included, or if we need BES, at about $20 onto the plan and get BES. Maybe they had to simplify it so that they CS reps didn't get confused!
    08-13-08 06:49 PM
    I guess I am pretty lucky - both local Verizon (Seattle) shops that I dealt with offered me the $29.00 plan. No additional prompting was necessary. Actually, I cancelled the phone sale the first time at one shop (boy was he upset and the return paper work as a real hassle) because we misunderstood one another - I did not WANT DATA or the $29.00 plan. I only wanted a qwerty phone and my old "limited data plan" which was the limited verizon browser for about $10.00 per month.

I went home reconsidered, dropped TEXT Messaging (saved $10 per month) and went to a different shop. Again, both immediately offered the $29.00 plan.
    08-13-08 07:40 PM
166 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD