I recently was on vacation and called and activated the mobile broadband option to connect to my laptop. You can connect/disconnect on a daily basis, so you're only charged for the time you use it. Frankly, it was disappointing. Speed was very marginal, even with good reception. Also, they give you a prorated estimate of allowed usage. I was told that I could use 990mb for the 6 days that I planned on using the service. In light usage, i.e. downloading emails, looking up news/weather, and reading forums, I used over 500mb of the allowance. I did not stream music/videos, which would not have worked anyway because of slow speed. If anyone was using this on a serious basis it would seem to me inadequate in terms of performance and allotted usage.

Mike
    08-08-10 12:12 PM
    I activated this service a few months ago and have been pleased with the performance. While not up to the speeds of my land line connection, I have found the 3G speed up to any of my tasks. Over a month, I would have to characterize my use as moderate and have yet to incur any additional charges over my $25 per month fee. Allowance is set at 5120 megabytes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 01:16 PM
    I recently was on vacation and called and activated the mobile broadband option to connect to my laptop. You can connect/disconnect on a daily basis, so you're only charged for the time you use it. Frankly, it was disappointing. Speed was very marginal, even with good reception. Also, they give you a prorated estimate of allowed usage. I was told that I could use 990mb for the 6 days that I planned on using the service. In light usage, i.e. downloading emails, looking up news/weather, and reading forums, I used over 500mb of the allowance. I did not stream music/videos, which would not have worked anyway because of slow speed. If anyone was using this on a serious basis it would seem to me inadequate in terms of performance and allotted usage.
    Actually I'm also surprised at your results. Because of my new living situation and job, I use my Palm Pre with 3G Wireless Hotspot for my home internet service, and it's been working great. I average close to 1 mbps down, which allows me to stream shows from ABC.com with very little lag or interruption, and I can stream a slingbox again with acceptable clarity. I have noticed that speed varies from location to location and is not dependent on signal strength (I average 3 bars when I'm getting 1 mbps down).

Also, usage is totally user-dependent. In 16 days I've used short of 2 GB with what I would call decent usage, which averages to about 1 GB per week. You used half that. I think people sometimes either don't realize just how much bandwidth they use, or they don't realize how many viruses they have on their computer eating their usage.
    08-08-10 05:17 PM
    I had to use it last month. I was getting about 50k a second in good coverage. My Palm Pre was 3 times faster but I'd rather have a Blackberry.

You should get about 170MB a day allowance. I used about 3/4 of that during the 3 weeks I had it. If you have used more and only keep the service part of the time, leave it on for a few extra days instead of paying the per MB if the overages cost more.

I was pleased at the quality, and surprised I could leave it on and it wouldn't use any bandwidth, just sit there. I was able to receive sms and voice with no interruption. I could also reply to text and make phone calls. When receiving/sending any of these, the web did freeze. It just didn't break my connection.

Email and MMS of course couldn't come through until after I disconnected.
    08-09-10 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD