08-24-09 01:53 AM
63 123
tools
    I think the opinion comes from the fact that Verizon is perceived as a number 1 (and is), but still suffers from many problems.

They have not supported the Storm very well, have a poor selection of phones, and aside from nice CS reps they don't make consumer friendly choices. Billing is a mess and I don't think they understand their market very well.
    Ok im a verizon employee, first of all if you look at the facts for verizon, we do know the market very well.

We're the only company that works with the customer.. Accidently make a $800 bill and we will work with you to lower it.. we understand, get the right rep and they WILL HELP.. Now do the same thing at tmo, att, and sprint, and they will laugh at you so hard you can still hear them after you hang up.. Call Sprint customer service.. you will know have to wait 30 mins to have a question answered because their cs is outsourced and you will be transfered from one person to another with a heavy accent and not know what they are payed for..

Through correct marketing and revenue we were able to buy 50% of the analog channel for 4g.. tmo barely has 3g.. att has the iphone, sure, read the news.. they haven't made jack s%#^t in revenue, apple gets it all and it stresses their 3g system so badly, they have class action suits so often in their new contract, read the fine print, you can't start one. Now trying a single suit against a company that big.. you better have a d#$m good lawyer or you better eat it.

The Storm may not be supported well but you have the support of others.. such as this forum.. We're not perfect.. we make mistakes.. its life..

My family has tmo.. i have never understood that paper bill when you need to figure out what the h#^l you did wrong to jack up a bill.

And with the selection of phones we got the env3, env touch, storm, and the tour.. all very good phones imo, i've stuck with my storm since day one and plan on getting a storm 2, not gonna lie, had plenty of bumps, but hey i love watching movies on it

my 2 cents
    Last edited by KungWei; 08-22-09 at 01:02 AM.
    08-22-09 12:56 AM
    A good post but....BS! This thing was definitely marketed as VZW's touchscreen iphone competitor. They promoted the apps, innovative touch interface, and a lot of consumer features...they don't have to mention the iphone. This "it was never meant to compete with the iphone!" argument sounds more like an excuse for how the Storm has failed compared to that device...
    Promoted apps, interface, and conusumer features? what else are you supposed to talk about? copy and paste? it has internet? a camera? if you want a toy get an iphone and be happy. People who have kept the Storm have been happy with what it has, sure once and awhile another phone has something we want but hey imagine if jailbreaking never existed.. or the app store never hit it off.. the only thing that phone had was a smooth ui.. 2.0 camera, you can't multitask. Did you forget how bad the first 6 months of the first iphone was? Wait till the Storm 2 comes out, i bet you its gonna be like how the iphone 3g was like.. People will be waiting in lines and say OMG THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER, cause people learn how to make things better as they make them
    08-22-09 01:12 AM
    P.S not to break any hearts but before anyone says anything about sprints everything plan compared to verizons.. the only reason that plan exists is because sprint cannot afford to lose anymore customers.. in Q1 of this year, they went -5 billion in profits (yes that is a negative infront of the 5), the moment they get back on their feet they will grandfather the plan and all the new phones will be incompatible no matter how much you complain, so if you break your phone, you are SOL
    Last edited by KungWei; 08-22-09 at 01:48 AM.
    08-22-09 01:19 AM
    I've got to admit I hate paying for vvm (free versions performing same function are available as prev posters have mentioned). I also hate paying for minutes and text messaging and a data plan. This gets exponentially worse with each family member whose phone service I'm paying for. When it comes down to it, I hate paying for stuff in general. I'm pretty sure we all do. Corporations try to strike a balance between how much people dislike forking over their hard earned dough and how much people like the services that dough gives them access to. And like anything else, you generally get what you pay for... I'm certainly not switching carriers anytime soon.

I think the only way to make a really effective difference is either to work your way up into corporate management and try to make changes from the inside OR spend a billion on stock and see if you can throw some weight around at shareholder meetings. Either way, if someone can work that out I've got 5 x blackberry data plans and would LOVE to have some sort of discounted blackberry family share plan. I'd be eternally grateful.
    08-22-09 01:55 AM
    Corporations try to strike a balance between how much people dislike forking over their hard earned dough and how much people like the services that dough gives them access to.
    That is what plays out here too. It is hard to imagine a business reducing the cost of something that has sold better than expectations. It does cost the carrier money in licensing and provisioning. If we offered it up for free, what else would we cut? Could it be the new tower by your house getting delayed or maybe LTE service might not make it to your area for an extra year or two.

It sells. Until it stops selling better than we expect it to, there won't be any cuts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 02:17 AM
    Corporations try to strike a balance between how much people dislike forking over their hard earned dough and how much people like the services that dough gives them access to.
    That is what plays out here too. It is hard to imagine a business reducing the cost of something that has sold better than expectations. It does cost the carrier money in licensing and provisioning. If we offered it up for free, what else would we cut? Could it be the new tower by your house getting delayed or maybe LTE service might not make it to your area for an extra year or two.

It sells. Until it stops selling better than we expect it to, there won't be any cuts.

08-22-09 02:24 AM

08-22-09 02:32 AM
    I agree.
    And It's people like that, that make the wireless companies think they can do what they do. I'm very shocked by the response I've received in this thread for the most part, I was really expecting everyone to agree with me and not defend the companies. I'm not out to get companies to give me free products, I just don't understand that if the main competition offers something for free why verizon thinks they are too good to follow suit.
    I don't work for Verizon and I'm not really a Verizon fanatic. (I got switched over from Alltel.)

But your premise is all wrong and your methodology is doomed for failure.

The fact that you have expected Verizon to "follow suit" with some competition indicates that you understand their business philosophy. They don't operate that way. Most major corporations don't. Most carve out a big niche using a business model that suits their corporate philosophy. Following the pack and competing "tit for tat" is not a long term strategy for a major corporation.

Secondly, to expect something for free that was not promised to you when you purchase the device and entered into a contract is either extremely naive or indicative of having an extreme sense of entitlement. Neither is a very mature or realistic position. It's one thing to want/desire it. It's another to expect to be entitled to it and then want to throw a tantrum when you don't get it.

And third, starting a forum topic is not likely to inspire and sort of change to a major corporation. I'm mean really? You didn't seriously think that starting thread and getting a bunch of people to respond in agreement was going to change anything on a corporate level, did you? Come on now.

In the customer/corporate environment, people vote with their feet and their money. Period.
    08-22-09 06:34 AM
    Want visual voicemail ? Guess its time to learn about google voice huh ? Want to know how visual voicemail works ? Terribly...Sure the idea sounds great, but text to speech unless whoever is calling you has perfect annunciation your translation is going to end up so choppy and mixed up it will be impossible to decipher what your voice mail actually says. Pay for it or get it for free, take it or leave it, I can do without it until the technology gets better. If anyone can make this work correctly lets be honest google can, and if they still dont have the kinks worked out I would say its pretty useless right now regardless.

As for anyone who could possibly say given the release time, the rushed release and the make and shape of the blackberry storm was not meant to be RIM and Verizon's iPhone killer, well whatever helps you sleep at night.

Did the Steve Jobs originally show up at Verizons door looking to give his phone a home ? Sure of course he did. Did Verizon turn it down because Steve Jobs was asking for too much of a cut on his phone ? 100% true. Well look what happened Steve Jobs went and is now on his third generation of one of the best selling phones of all time, think AT&T isn't getting their fair cut ? Think again, they're better off then ever before. Not too mention Verizon has their arms wide open to welcome the iPhone in to their store by Christmas 2010. So stop pretending the Storm wasn't Verizon and Rim's shot at the iPhone killer. Definitely don't act like the iPhone is any less of a business phone then the BlackBerry because it definitely is not. And for the guy that said this Apple product automatically gets a +10 snob appeal...get over yourself and prepare to get off of Verizon because your carrier is about to look like a snob too then.
    08-22-09 07:44 AM
    Just don't read them, Heather. It is as simple as that. People commenting on how sick they are of a topic keep it up top where everyone sees it.

No one is forcing you to read any thread and no one is forcing you to even log in.

You need to just keep to your own and allow others to have their opinion.. thats why its called a FORUM!
    You're starting to tork my bolts a little; we have every right to be here as much as you do; I hope the mod's tag your fanny quick.
    (I'd use more explicite language but the forum filter would just star it out)
    08-22-09 07:52 AM
    I think that its pitiful that verizon still charges for vcast!
    08-22-09 08:42 AM
    If I had my way, Verizon rates would be halved, text messaging would be free and voicemail would hold 100 messages. But I don't make policy. I just facilitate it.

Contradict ourselves much?
    08-22-09 08:52 AM
    I'm sick to death of these threads started by people who think they should get something for nothing...

You need to just keep to your own and allow others to have their opinion.. thats why its called a FORUM!
    You're starting to tork my bolts a little; we have every right to be here as much as you do; I hope the mod's tag your fanny quick.
    (I'd use more explicite language but the forum filter would just star it out)
    Look who's talking...
    08-22-09 09:17 AM
    ^^^^ Burn
    08-22-09 09:54 AM
    the key is to use free apps like youmail and spread the word that there are free alternatives. If everyone knows, then VZ will get the message in time. If you complain but dont switch carriers, then they have no initiative to please you since your loyal. But hey, I'm all for writing letters, lol... I've done my share and planetfeedback is great. But in the end, there are other great ways to make ur voice heard. The power of the $$$

I dont recommend switching carriers over vvm, lol. But just write letters, spread the word of the free alternatives. I do the same thing with the VZ Nav monopoly. I let it be known, write letters, and NEVER pay for the app considering that I have no option to use an alternative
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-22-09 at 10:16 AM.
    08-22-09 10:09 AM
    ppppppft!
    08-22-09 10:29 AM
    I would never use Youmail, security issues abound with that service.

Why would you expect VVM to be free?? When Apple debuted VVM they were soon after sued because the technology was patented by Klausner. Every company that uses VVM pays a licensing fee to Klausner, even Google. In fact Klausner just sat back for a while and then proceeded to sue Cisco, LG, Google and Apple over VVM.

Klausner visual voicemail - Yahoo! Search Results

Verizon Wireless Licenses Klausner's Visual Voicemail Tech (Phone Scoop)

My point it, VVM aint free buddy, not for Verizon, LG, Cisco, Apple or Google. Why would it be free for you and me??
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-22-09 at 12:07 PM.
    08-22-09 12:03 PM
    ppppppft!
    lol

u know me, always truthful...

VZ still the best... just a tad bit on the greedy side with the small stuff, but hey, no carrier is perfect right?
    08-22-09 12:16 PM
    Contradict ourselves much?
    Look who's talking...
    Thanks Mike. It seems some people can't see the difference between what I like to see and what I have to do.

No contradiction in what I say Heather. You might look at your own house before you incorrectly criticize others and subject your own words to more scrutiny than you really want to have brought up.

08-22-09 12:19 PM
    Thanks Mike. It seems some people can't see the difference between what I like to see and what I have to do.

No contradiction in what I say Heather. You might look at your own house before you incorrectly criticize others and subject your own words to more scrutiny than you really want to have brought up.

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Please follow the posting guidelines while making posts in the forum.
    08-22-09 12:27 PM
    Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

brought out the big guns!

good job!
    08-22-09 12:38 PM
    ppppppft!
    I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist
    08-22-09 12:52 PM
    Make Meaningful Posts

Personal Attacks

Jake, do you even understand the meaning of that which you posted? If you did, you might want to quote some others which it evidently doesn't apply to in your mind, but who are far more guilty of violating it than I am.

Big guns = little minds.

Oh no, AmericanMade made fun of the TOU and a poster.

08-22-09 01:21 PM
    Jake, do you even understand the meaning of that which you posted? If you did, you might want to quote some others which it evidently doesn't apply to in your mind, but who are far more guilty of violating it than I am.

Big guns = little minds.

Oh no, AmericanMade made fun of the TOU and a poster.

your diplomatic skills are left to be desired
    08-22-09 01:57 PM
    The Storm may not be supported well but you have the support of others.. such as this forum.. We're not perfect.. we make mistakes.. its life..
    wtf do they pay you for?

"oh, mr. customer, i'm sorry your phone doesn't work. that's life!!!!"

worst response ever
    08-22-09 08:25 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD