08-24-09 02:53 AM
63 123
tools
    Well...

When the storm came out I figured okay, visual voicemail will be free on it like it is with the Iphone, didn't happen. T-Mobile gives you free vvm with the mytouch3g now, still no free vvm with Verizon on their flagship phone. Then the family and friends plan didn't count for the cheapest individual and family plan, not even one friend or family to call unlimited, even At&t gives you rollover minutes with their cheapest plan. Now, they release Vcast for the Storm (finally, Sprint and At&t have had their mobile video service on their smartphones for a long time now) and I am hoping that it will arrive on other smartphones as well down the road, it should. Well you have to pay $9.99 a month for the service. It is included free with Sprint and At&t on their smartphones as part of your data package but no Verizon again doesn't care about competition and thinks their $#! don't stink and they don't have to worry about that. If you have a smartphone plan with Verizon you must be rich or stupid so you don't have to worry about paying for things other carriers offer free (VVM on a flagship phone included). Their dummyphone plans are $15 for data/vcast, it comes with it. $29.99 and it doesn't include it, it's extra.
    I wrote to Verizon using the feedback topic about this matter. If anyone here doesn't agree with what they have been doing now is the time to write to them. If you think Verizon is in the right then just take my post as my opinion and pay for what you want. But for those who feel as I do people need to start letting Verizon know in a loud way that enough is enough and that charging for add ons that other carriers give you for free is bad business practice and unfair to the loyal customers. Thanks for the time to read my rantings, I was just waiting a long time for vcast and then I read about the charge and I was just really P'od, I already had a bit brewing in me about the vvm charge with the Storm.
    Take care everyone.

Verizon just called back only ten minutes after my feedback to let me know they will forward it to the right person! Wow.

Previous poster, I didn't sign a contract I didn't understand, I have been a customer since 2003, you see other carriers getting certain things and you are pissed it doesn't come to you. I am trying to voice my opinions so people don't have to pay an etf and leave, that isn't the answer, it should be fixed to keep customers. I added the part if you don't agree to ignore my rantings and pay for what you want, no trolling allowed in here.
    Last edited by PamelaBB; 08-21-09 at 04:30 PM.
    08-21-09 04:16 PM
    In the time it took you to post this you could have paid the ETF and gotten a plan elsewhere. We don't feel bad for you, you signed a contract you didnt understand. We pity your ignorance.
    08-21-09 04:21 PM
    Well...

When the storm came out I figured okay, visual voicemail will be free on it like it is with the Iphone, didn't happen. T-Mobile gives you free vvm with the mytouch3g now, still no free vvm with Verizon on their flagship phone. Then the family and friends plan didn't count for the cheapest individual and family plan, not even one friend or family to call unlimited, even At&t gives you rollover minutes with their cheapest plan. Now, they release Vcast for the Storm (finally, Sprint and At&t have had their mobile video service on their smartphones for a long time now) and I am hoping that it will arrive on other smartphones as well down the road, it should. Well you have to pay $9.99 a month for the service. It is included free with Sprint and At&t on their smartphones as part of your data package but no Verizon again doesn't care about competition and thinks their $#! don't stink and they don't have to worry about that. If you have a smartphone plan with Verizon you must be rich or stupid so you don't have to worry about paying for things other carriers offer free (VVM on a flagship phone included). Their dummyphone plans are $15 for data/vcast, it comes with it. $29.99 and it doesn't include it, it's extra.
    I wrote to Verizon using the feedback topic about this matter. If anyone here doesn't agree with what they have been doing now is the time to write to them. If you think Verizon is in the right then just take my post as my opinion and pay for what you want. But for those who feel as I do people need to start letting Verizon know in a loud way that enough is enough and that charging for add ons that other carriers give you for free is bad business practice and unfair to the loyal customers. Thanks for the time to read my rantings, I was just waiting a long time for vcast and then I read about the charge and I was just really P'od, I already had a bit brewing in me about the vvm charge with the Storm.
    Take care everyone.

Verizon just called back only ten minutes after my feedback to let me know they will forward it to the right person! Wow.

Previous poster, I didn't sign a contract I didn't understand, I have been a customer since 2003, you see other carriers getting certain things and you are pissed it doesn't come to you. I am trying to voice my opinions so people don't have to pay an etf and leave, that isn't the answer, it should be fixed to keep customers. I added the part if you don't agree to ignore my rantings and pay for what you want, no trolling allowed in here.
    First off I would like asy good luck with your quest.

With that said. Where is written that just beacuse companies do something, other have to do the samething. If VZW chooses to charge for certain services so be it. Business are in business to make money. There are services available today that years when they came out had a charge or fee. Voicemail is one of these.

Also with companies like ATT you can have smartphones and PDA's without data plans, very inviting for some. Guess what, effective next month ATT is going to require data plans for all these devices as well. I am sure there will be many that will not like this, but it is the way of the future and more and more carriers are going this route. This is mainly for all those folks that do not want data, swear they do not use the data that these devices are designed to have and end up with huge bills. These companies are tired of having to issue credits and lose revenue, so they are now going to require these plans.

If you wish not pay for this, then get a regular phone.

Also effective this weekend, Vcast video has become avail for the Storm, I am sure tour and maybe other devices are to follow. Not sure if there is a cost involved as I have not had the time yet to get into the nitty gritty about it. It would nice if no cost additions are involved and logically would be included in the data plan.
    Last edited by lastraid; 08-21-09 at 06:28 PM.
    08-21-09 04:50 PM
    Youmail for Free VVM.

Customizable. Easy to use. Free.
    08-21-09 04:55 PM
    Also with companies like ATT you can have smartphones and PDA's wothout data plans, very inviting for some. Guess what, effective next month ATT is going to require data plans for all these devices as well.
    September 6, to be more precise. T-Mobile is scheduled to split out VVM and start charging for it, as well. Services that people are willing to pay for have a charge.

There are changes coming industrywide that will put many of these comparisons in the rearview mirror.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 04:56 PM
    To the OP, I feel the same way. I don't feel entitled to anything but when the dumbphone gets an unlimited data package+Vcast mobile TV included in a $25 a month fee & I'm paying $30 a month and for the Vcast mobile TV I would have to pay an additional $10 a month, to me that is bogus....Screwww that...
    08-21-09 06:34 PM
    To the OP, I feel the same way. I don't feel entitled to anything but when the dumbphone gets an unlimited data package+Vcast mobile TV included in a $25 a month fee & I'm paying $30 a month and for the Vcast mobile TV I would have to pay an additional $10 a month, to me that is bogus....Screwww that...
    Or $40 per month extra to get all that plus Navigator and texts which is $10 less than smartphone users pay just for data and unlimited texting.

08-21-09 06:37 PM
    There is so much going on with this post that i don't even know where to begin, but VZW has no flagship phone.
    The Storm is supposed to be verizons flagship smartphone.
    I just don't see what is so wrong with what I am saying though, Verizon is charging separately for a service that other carriers include for free with your data plan. I don't know the details about VVM for T-Mobile and if they will charge for all phones soon. AT&T will still have it free for one of the best selling phones though.
    08-21-09 08:34 PM
    I just don't see what is so wrong with what I am saying though, Verizon is charging separately for a service that other carriers include for free with your data plan. I don't know the details about VVM for T-Mobile and if they will charge for all phones soon. AT&T will still have it free for one of the best selling phones though.
    The Storm is not Verizon's flagship phone. The flagship phone is the latest and most capable phone in any of the main categories. Smartphone/PDA, Blackberry, Advanced Device and Phones. The flagship Blackberry is currently the Tour, like the one I am posting from. The flagship smartphone/PDA is soon to be the Omnia 2 like the one I have been carrying for a month. The flagship Advanced Device is currently the enV Touch, but that will change with Rogue.

I don't see a problem with your question as to why Verizon charges for something that some other carriers do not charge for. I would humbly ask you feel VVM pricing is of greater importance to you than network quality?

08-21-09 08:44 PM
    What you're doing wrong is trashing a provider in its forum, which is the equivalent of starting a flame war.. This needs to go in a RANTS section because thats what it is. Nobody signs a contract not knowing what the provider has and what they charge and if they do they're a moron. I'm sick of the complainers, Verizon doesnt have to give away from VVM or VCast because people pay for it and Verizon Wireless has the smallest churn percentage in the industry for a reason, the network. Go get your free VVM from T-Mobile good luck using it when you can't get a signal.

I've been a VZW employee for 9 years, Verizon Wireless DOES NOT HAVE a flagship phone.. The Storm was billed as the Iphone competitor for VZW but was NEVER called a flagship phone.
    08-21-09 09:29 PM
    The Storm is not Verizon's flagship phone. The flagship phone is the latest and most capable phone in any of the main categories. Smartphone/PDA, Blackberry, Advanced Device and Phones. The flagship Blackberry is currently the Tour, like the one I am posting from. The flagship smartphone/PDA is soon to be the Omnia 2 like the one I have been carrying for a month. The flagship Advanced Device is currently the enV Touch, but that will change with Rogue.

I don't see a problem with your question as to why Verizon charges for something that some other carriers do not charge for. I would humbly ask you feel VVM pricing is of greater importance to you than network quality?

I thought it was the storm because the screen is big and it has the touch thing going on, the closest thing to a mytouch3g or Iphone, at least that is what verizon wanted. I have the tour for my job and honestly the tour is the same old news as the curve imo just with a nicer screen, until blackberry gets a new os all the phones are the same just with a different physical look and the ability to run certain apps better imo of course.

Well you know what it is, where I live all the networks are the same. If I was someplace else, even upstate new york then i would just have to take whatever verzion wants to dish to me. I just think that verizon is like a dog you have to tame, if enough people complain i think it's definitely possible they will go with the trend ya know?
    08-21-09 09:34 PM
    if enough people complain i think it's definitely possible they will go with the trend ya know?
    Maybe, but the problem always is getting enough to complain. It sells well for phones that can handle it.

08-21-09 09:40 PM
    I hate it when people whine too & yes companies are out to make money...but uh if her complaints gives us something free I WILL TAKE IT....businesses are out to make money & there are some that need a catch to lure people in...Verizon is like a Mercedes of a carrier....sure you could get a Honda...but which do you prefer...look for carriers to charge as much as they can...there isssss a recession lol
    08-21-09 09:40 PM
    At least with VZW they haven't given us vvm free and THEN charged like T-Mobile. Customers would really be upset then.
    I really don't see complaining about paying for a service from a service company.
    This complaint is like complaining that Carraba's gives you only one bowl of salad with your meal while Olive Garden gives you unlimited.
    08-21-09 10:05 PM
    I hate it when people whine too & yes companies are out to make money...but uh if her complaints gives us something free I WILL TAKE IT....businesses are out to make money & there are some that need a catch to lure people in...Verizon is like a Mercedes of a carrier....sure you could get a Honda...but which do you prefer...look for carriers to charge as much as they can...there isssss a recession lol
    Well, you would think the metro areas are where the wireless companies make most of their money from. where I live in new york all the carriers are good over here, only sprint has reception issues at certain places, if it wasn't the case I would go to sprint in a heartbeat because they offer the best deal out of all the carriers for their $30 data plan. Verizon can't use their network as an excuse to always charge more or do something devious because in many metro areas most of the networks are reliable or you at least have one other network that is just as good. With the recession going on you would think they would lower the prices or at least offer what other carriers do and expect more volume to make their money. The pilgrims could have went back to england when times were tough but they fought to stay where they were and make it work
    08-21-09 10:10 PM
    I'm sick to death of these threads started by people who think they should get something for nothing...
    In a couple past threads certain ranters were stating that vzw is "forcing" them to do things... Vzw is not forcing you to pay for vvm or vcast video. What's wrong with free basic vm????
    Just because its offered on the phone doesn't mean that a company should offer it free.
    Dish Network OFFERS multiple movie chennels. I'm not ENTITLED to them I have to PAY for them. I'm not forced to have them so I don't. That's what redbox and netflix is for.
    The company is Verizon, At&t is At&t and Tmobile is Tmobile... They have their own plans their own compititions if one of those other carrier plans is more appealing.. GO
    And don't let the door hit'cha where the good Lord split'cha.

08-21-09 10:11 PM
    I thought it was the storm because the screen is big and it has the touch thing going on, the closest thing to a mytouch3g or Iphone, at least that is what verizon wanted.
    You'll notice that VZW has never advertised the Storm as an iPhone killer of any kind. That's more Sprint's cup o' tea. Does it work? Beats me.

Consider this, though...People have been clamoring for a touchscreen blackberry since Palm was the big cheese of PDAs. This is long before the iPhone was even a rumor. (Apple was still nursing their bumps and buises from the Newton.) My PDA at the time? An M105. Everybody who had a PDA had a Palm. Windows Mobile (Pocket PC) was an occasional oddity.

Now, I'm not gonna lie. Releasing the Storm was obviously meant to give the iPhone a run for its money. But it's also something that was destined to happen, one way or another. A touchscreen Blackberry is a gimmick all its own. Don't forget that. Heck, the only reason the iPhone gained so much ground (aside from being an apple product, which gets it instant +10 snob appeal) was because Palm pretty much lost their way, dumping their nice, large touchscreens and slim, cute form factors in favor of ugly, clunky thumb boards and unstable devices. There was simply a hole that needed filling, and Apple did it.

Anywho, we really don't have a "flagship" device. Having a network that works with all services outside the metropolitan areas of the US has always been our big thing. Want broadband in the middle of Mimbres, and some gaming-quality latency to boot? Toss out that dish 'cause we got it! That's our "flagship". Fancy PDAs are merely a pleasant extra that naturally follows. And hey, I hear Palm recently got a clue, so times are a-changin'.
    08-21-09 10:17 PM
    I'm sick to death of these threads started by people who think they should get something for nothing...
    Just don't read them, Heather. It is as simple as that. People commenting on how sick they are of a topic keep it up top where everyone sees it.

No one is forcing you to read any thread and no one is forcing you to even log in.

08-21-09 10:27 PM
    Just don't read them, Heather. It is as simple as that. People commenting on how sick they are of a topic keep it up top where everyone sees it.

No one is forcing you to read any thread and no one is forcing you to even log in.

I agree.
    And It's people like that, that make the wireless companies think they can do what they do. I'm very shocked by the response I've received in this thread for the most part, I was really expecting everyone to agree with me and not defend the companies. I'm not out to get companies to give me free products, I just don't understand that if the main competition offers something for free why verizon thinks they are too good to follow suit.
    08-21-09 10:52 PM
    I agree.
    And It's people like that, that make the wireless companies think they can do what they do. I'm very shocked by the response I've received in this thread for the most part, I was really expecting everyone to agree with me and not defend the companies. I'm not out to get companies to give me free products, I just don't understand that if the main competition offers something for free why verizon thinks they are too good to follow suit.
    There is a very serious problem with employee conduct on this site. Some are not really employees, but there are those who think they can tell everyone where they work, then act with impugnity. That should be changing very soon.

If I had my way, Verizon rates would be halved, text messaging would be free and voicemail would hold 100 messages. But I don't make policy. I just facilitate it.

08-21-09 11:03 PM
    There is a very serious problem with employee conduct on this site. Some are not really employees, but there are those who think they can tell everyone where they work, then act with impugnity. That should be changing very soon.

If I had my way, Verizon rates would be halved, text messaging would be free and voicemail would hold 100 messages. But I don't make policy. I just facilitate it.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Employee conduct.. oh please Mr. HR don't take them into the room with the round table!!
    08-21-09 11:13 PM
    I agree.
    Interesting - I would think that if folks did not agree with you, this means they do not agree with what you are saying. Just a thought. Also keep in mind that folks that have not agreed with you are not just employees as implied by another user.

There are many reason one stays with a carrier and reason why people change carriers. This is individual and personal decision.
    08-21-09 11:34 PM
    I agree to an extent.

Sprint's "Simply everything 450" plan includes everything Sprint has to offer, GPS, TV, Data, Email, 450 minutes, Free nights and weekends, free after 7, radio. This is $69.99. The only phone sprint has visual voicemail for are the Instinct series and this was because they more or less "bought" the rights for it for those phones only.

The issue with Sprint is their network is not as good as Verizon's when it comes to the size of it and the people serviced. If you live in an area where you get good coverage by all means go with Sprint. I have and liked it but finally got sick of the dropped calls and crappy customer service. I jumped on the Instinct bandwagon only to return it when you couldnt even get an IM client. I had Sprint 3 years.

AT&T is just as expensive as Verizon for both iPhone and BlackBerry if you want it all. Infact people have had horrendus bills over the iPhone, some have had them fixed others have complained to Apple.

Now to me Verizon's network and customer service and support makes the little more I pay worth it. They have always taken care of me when other carriers did not.

My current load out:
    Storm with $39.99 450 min, $30 BB Data, $10 unlim mob to mob text w/500, $10 VCast video, $2 extended war, $3 roadside, $3 Visual VM, $1 ringback. Around $100 before taxes. This is the pricepoint my brothers iPhone is at.

--

Now when I hear people say Verizon and RIM made the Storm to be an iPhone killer I just want to beat the person upside the head repeatidly. Never once has either company ever stated that it was an iPhone killer. RIM has gone so fare is to say WORK FIRST then play. A lot of people got on the Samsung Instinct bandwagon because Sprint made direct opposition to Apple so much as to make websites and huge theater commercials. Than they'd get the phone like I did only to find out it was missing features like an IM client. Tons left like I did. Heck they even made a desktop program that tried to mirror iTunes only to fail miserably. That was the buggiest software I ever tried to use...

I think it's pretty obvious Verizon knows that the Storm is one of their top phones and I'd be willing to bet their best selling smart phone. They are making all their VCast features available to it because they realize that the general public is buying it. In the Verizon store I was in waiting on tech support all I heard from verizons tv's was the Storm... non stop...

This probably went way off topic but oh well.
    Last edited by mrspock2002; 08-22-09 at 12:21 AM.
    08-22-09 12:18 AM
    In a couple past threads certain ranters were stating that vzw is "forcing" them to do things... Vzw is not forcing you to pay for vvm or vcast video. What's wrong with free basic vm????
    Just because its offered on the phone doesn't mean that a company should offer it free.
    Dish Network OFFERS multiple movie chennels. I'm not ENTITLED to them I have to PAY for them. I'm not forced to have them so I don't. That's what redbox and netflix is for.
    The company is Verizon, At&t is At&t and Tmobile is Tmobile... They have their own plans their own compititions if one of those other carrier plans is more appealing.. GO
    And don't let the door hit'cha where the good Lord split'cha.

I think the opinion comes from the fact that Verizon is perceived as a number 1 (and is), but still suffers from many problems.

They have not supported the Storm very well, have a poor selection of phones, and aside from nice CS reps they don't make consumer friendly choices. Billing is a mess and I don't think they understand their market very well.
    08-22-09 01:31 AM

Now when I hear people say Verizon and RIM made the Storm to be an iPhone killer I just want to beat the person upside the head repeatidly. Never once has either company ever stated that it was an iPhone killer. RIM has gone so fare is to say WORK FIRST then play.
    A good post but....BS! This thing was definitely marketed as VZW's touchscreen iphone competitor. They promoted the apps, innovative touch interface, and a lot of consumer features...they don't have to mention the iphone. This "it was never meant to compete with the iphone!" argument sounds more like an excuse for how the Storm has failed compared to that device...
    08-22-09 01:34 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD