Hi -

I'm having an issue that I can't quite solve on my own.

*THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ABOUT UNLOCKING A STORM, OR USING A NON-VERIZON SIM IN MY STORM!*

I am on assignment in the UK. I have a Verizon Storm and a Vodafone Bold.

I have the Verizon GlobalEmail plan, so unlimited data is mine on the Verizon SIM. This works great.

I put the Verizon SIM card into the Bold. It works. Phone service in works fine. However, DATA is not working. I get all lowercase gprs at my desk whereas on the Vodafone SIM I get 3G right off the bat. I've tried registering the network manually but that does not work either. Any ideas? I've combed through the forum for how to fix this but nothing comes to mind. I suspect the Verizon SIM has some sort of lock (not a SIM lock exactly) preventing data use on a non Verizon-issued phone but I can't figure that quite out.

Thanks!
    05-27-09 08:50 AM
    the VZW sim is actually just a vodafone SIM for VZW quad band devices.

the issue is that the GSM network configuration and service books for a VZW provisioned device and a vodafone provisioned device are different.

you would need to get the VZW service books for a quad band device, then you could get data.

but if you have a voda device, the only benefit is a VZW phone number. why not just enable call forwarding or something?
    05-27-09 02:30 PM
    Thanks Patches.

My logic here was to use the Verizon data plan while roaming w/ my Bold, which I prefer by a great amount to the Storm. I assume a quad-band Verizon service book is nonexistent since VZW has no quad-band phones, so not sure where to go from here. Wouldn't a tri-band service book still work since in the UK, Verizon gets 3G coverage on the Storm typically (i.e., in the 1900MHz band).
    05-27-09 08:00 PM
    well there is no verizon network there, there is vodafone network to roam on...so the VZW data is ******** expensive. you're only benefit for using the SIM provided is that you have your same U.S. number for calls/sms, but the roaming rates will kill you. prolly be cheaper to get a local number, and use vodafone while you're there. maybe even unlock or trade your storm for a 9500...

but quad band means CDMA and GSM...so the 8830 and 9530 are both quad band. the service books aren't quad band or tri band limited, they're based on the carrier, and the provisioning that you're given on your account, and RIM takes that info and sends the appropriate service books.

i still say you just get a voda account and use that, you're gonna get killed on costs while you're in UK. or use both, one for your VZW number, and a VODA number...and carry both...like a boss!
    05-27-09 08:17 PM
    I do carry both

My main concern is traveling through Europe. I spend 1-2 weeks a month in Paris. I do have a UK Vodafone SIM w/ data that's perfect in the UK. I never use the US phone part, so I have no need for the Storm in the UK. However when I'm in France, I'd prefer to use the Bold over the Storm form-factor-wise. However the Storm has unlimited data (via GlobalEmail) so I can only afford to use the Verizon data plan in France.

This would necessitate putting the Storm SIM into the Bold, hence my concern.

It works perfectly well to just suck it up and use my Storm in France, but it's more of a preference thing not to carry the Storm and to type w/ the keyboard.

Re the quad and tri-band - the Storm is missing one of the 3G bands in Europe (I believe it's the 850MHz 3G band). No big deal. However, no matter what I do, I can't get the lowercase GPRS off the Bold with the Storm SIM to even resend the service books.
    05-27-09 08:31 PM
    sounds like you got it figured out then bob, good luck with your travels. i'd suggest you just carry both, anything else will be more trouble than its worth!

and it's only missing one of the GSM bands, but it has 4 total. there are 3 GSM bands in europe, isn't there? so if they have two of the GSM, and two CDMA then that's a total 4
    05-27-09 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD