06-07-09 06:46 PM
36 12
tools
    UPDATE:

Everything went fine on my trip except I lost my Storm the morning I was leaving Italy between the hotel and the airport, (but that's another thread!) The Global Data plan worked great. And I actually got to see the "3G" and the BlackBerry symbol on the screen of my phone. The service in Rome and Naples was good. Not so good between Rome and Naples while on the train, however. Another problem I noticed was that the phone lost its signal in my hotel, which was an old stone building. The hotel had free WiFi available throughout the facility, but as we know...... (Minus 1 for Verizon). The GPS for Google Maps worked, except there was no 'traffic info' or 'directions info' available in Rome. BB Pin Messages worked too.

After experiencing a lost phone in Europe, I highly recommend bringing the "Verizon Global Support Wallet Guide" with you on your trip. Having quick access to the Verizon # in Italy to report the lost phone was very helpful since I was at Rome Airport waiting for my flight home when I noticed it was gone. I had cashed in all my Euros at that point, but the nice lady at the Air France Club let me use her phone to call Verizon and report it. Assurion took my report the night I returned and had a new Storm to me by 11 AM the next day. Great Service!

Otherwise, I enjoyed the trip and being able to use the Storm while in Italy.

Rich
    Last edited by richs10; 05-16-09 at 06:47 PM.
    05-16-09 06:44 PM
    Hello,
    I'm new here and I also got my first smartphone (Blackberry Storm) a few days ago.

I will be going to Germany in a few days and I will be gone for about two months. I would like to use my phone in Germany with unlimited Data and I read all of your posts about how to set it up etc., but I still have a few questions. I'm on a family share plan and two of us have the Storm with the $30 data package(just signed the two year contract for the data). So my question is can I just change my phone, not the other data package on the family plan, to the Global Data Package for $69.99 a month?

Also, do I still pay the $30 for the US Data package(so for real the whole data would cost me $30 + $69.99 = $99.99 a month, since I have a two year contract for the US data package with Verizon?) Or would it be just the $69.99 for the days that I will be gone and then I can go back to my normal $30 us data package?

Thanks so much!
    Sandra
    05-27-09 01:45 PM
    Sandra

I don't know about the family share plan issue, but a quick call to the number in the first post should get the info you need. As to cost, it appears that Verizon stops billing on your normal data plan and substitutes the Global Date Plan instead, so I don't think you pay for both while on the Global Plan. I'm waiting for my next bill to confirm this.

Rich
    05-28-09 06:20 AM
    Thanks Rich!

Anyone else experience with the family share plan?
    05-28-09 11:12 AM
    Assuming one goes the prepaid local SIM route.... the cost of SMS TXT messages would be deducted from that SIM, no? My understanding was that SMS uses the traditional "cell voice network" and not the data network - is that correct?
    05-28-09 12:17 PM
    UPDATE:

Everything went fine on my trip except I lost my Storm the morning I was leaving Italy between the hotel and the airport, (but that's another thread!) The Global Data plan worked great. And I actually got to see the "3G" and the BlackBerry symbol on the screen of my phone. The service in Rome and Naples was good. Not so good between Rome and Naples while on the train, however. Another problem I noticed was that the phone lost its signal in my hotel, which was an old stone building. The hotel had free WiFi available throughout the facility, but as we know...... (Minus 1 for Verizon). The GPS for Google Maps worked, except there was no 'traffic info' or 'directions info' available in Rome. BB Pin Messages worked too.

After experiencing a lost phone in Europe, I highly recommend bringing the "Verizon Global Support Wallet Guide" with you on your trip. Having quick access to the Verizon # in Italy to report the lost phone was very helpful since I was at Rome Airport waiting for my flight home when I noticed it was gone. I had cashed in all my Euros at that point, but the nice lady at the Air France Club let me use her phone to call Verizon and report it. Assurion took my report the night I returned and had a new Storm to me by 11 AM the next day. Great Service!

Otherwise, I enjoyed the trip and being able to use the Storm while in Italy.

Rich
    Thanks for the update (I must have missed it when initially posted).

Sorry you lost your phone.

Just some more follow up questions about costs/charges.

Under this Global Plan or Global Data Plan, you do NOT pay additional for the DATA or do you still pay that what was it $.002/whatever?

For instance using my current bill, I used 21,076 Kilobytes last month. Do I pay for those separately or are those included in their billing?

I think my very weather-dependent friend will want weather all the time to decide on hour hiking/climbing ambitions for the day. Also checking websites would be nice. So I want to get an idea of what to expect.

The .99 per minute includes any calls or only calls within Europe. Can "ET" call home for that rate?

Since my 8830 is encased in an Otterbox, I don't think I will be attempting to swap micro-sized SIM cards anytime soon.

Thanks, again, and I will re-read this entire thread again.
    05-28-09 01:36 PM
    With the Global Data and Email plan, you do not pay extra for data. Its included. My understanding is that the .99 per min (varies by country) covers local calls and calls back to the US.
    05-29-09 06:09 AM
    Thanks again.

I finally called the global number (now it seems to just ring Verizon and you have to go through menus to actually get to global).

He was very meticulous. He specifically told me this global fee would not be in addition to my current data fee but in place of it. So my $29 bis fee would be suspended and this new fee would replace it. And when I returned, I could get the pro rata fee for length of trip and the $29 would be restored. All very good.

And he also verified that for Italy/Austria/Germany, the calls would be .99/min including back to the US.

So thanks for starting this thread and posting your info and insights.

Now I need to find some good local urls and bookmark them for weather, sites, etc.

Ah, the only potential wrinkle in this, I think, is that if you meet anyone in Europe or want some hotel to call you back to confirm a reservation or such will be calling a US number and, therefore, an International call for them. That's where, I guess, the local sim card would be a benefit.
    Last edited by F2; 05-29-09 at 08:28 PM.
    05-29-09 09:41 AM
    I have a Curve with Verizon. I also have the data plan with it. I will be in England for 2 weeks. I called Verizon today and they forwarded me to someone at Vodaphone that i could barely understand, i was told that i need to rent a phone. If i wanted all of the accessories (gps, text, sending pictutes, etc) of my Curve I will need to rent a Storm for 10.00 per day.

This doesn't seem to agree with is posted here. Any and all advice will be appreciated
    Thank you
    Diana
    06-02-09 12:57 AM
    I don't know anything about their rental policy but your phone does not work in Europe.

But see this link on use in foreign lands where verizon is discussed:

Going abroad? Don't be afraid to pack the cell phone | Wireless - CNET News
    06-02-09 08:49 AM
    So are you saying you can definitely have the Global Data Plan from Verizon PLUS use a local GSM SIM card (UK) without any interuption to the Global Data Plan?
    06-07-09 06:46 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD