Carrier: Verizon
    Uses: domestic USA & South America (mostly Lima, Peru)
    Possible purchases: Bold Touch, Storm 3 (if they drop in time)

Hi all.

I guess my basic question is: has anyone ever had any trouble taking a global-ready Verizon Wireless BlackBerry to another country and installing a pre-paid SIM card from a local wireless carrier?

I'm researching options for a family member. She is going to need a Verizon phone that will work in the US & in Peru. She does not like the current set of "world" Android phones; so, I think BlackBerry will be the choice for her.

Thank you.
    02-20-11 05:54 PM
    ive never had a problem using my bold on pre-paid sims in 6 different countries.

just make sure the phone is unlocked before traveling to peru, and then pop the sim card in and switch to the GSM network setting. you should be good to go!
    TBolt likes this.
    02-21-11 12:14 AM
    I had a relative go to Peru as well....she decided to get the unlimited international data plan....I wouldn't recommend it....really the only way we kept in touch was over wifi through bbm and email....coverage was so poor that it wasn't worth it.....if nycfly89 has used prepaid sim cards I would go with that instead of the unlimited international data plan.....just my .02

Kenny
    Verizon Bold 9650

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    TBolt likes this.
    02-22-11 09:12 AM
    Some Peruvian operators, such as Claro offer Prepaid BIS Service (which is actually not uncommon to find in Latin America)

If your wife can understand Spanish, she can activate it and not only save on Verizon roaming but communicate over BBM (everything works fine, but I would not recommend registering e-mails with the Peruvian operator's BIS, otherwise she wouldn't be able to re-register on Verizon back home)
    TBolt likes this.
    02-22-11 09:17 AM
    Okay . . . thank all of you for the helpful feedback.
    02-22-11 12:19 PM
    I see the specs of the Touch here:
    New BlackBerry Touch (monaco) Hands-On Photos Emerge | CrackBerry.com

I do not see 'GSM' listed on the same line as the CDMA version:
    Monaco / CDMA: Dual band CDMA, EV-DO Rev A, RX Diversity ; Quad band EDGE / Single Band UMTS

Although, I do see mention of 'Quad band.' I just need to know -- will this work in both CDMA and GSM environments with both voice & data?

Thank you, guys!
    04-05-11 02:50 AM
    Just make sure it's unlocked... i have used prepaid Sim cards in Russia and it worked fine.
    TBolt likes this.
    04-11-11 10:18 AM
    Thanks, guys.

Fortunately, though, the new Droid Incredible 2 is all but confirmed to have a GSM radio in it. This user really likes my Incredible, and she's happy that she can have the next generation Incredible 2 and use it abroad, too. (I'm a bit jealous, really.) hehe

I'll make sure Verizon unlocks the GSM radio. Big thanks again!
    04-11-11 10:26 AM
    I see the specs of the Touch here:
    New BlackBerry Touch (monaco) Hands-On Photos Emerge | CrackBerry.com

I do not see 'GSM' listed on the same line as the CDMA version:
    Monaco / CDMA: Dual band CDMA, EV-DO Rev A, RX Diversity ; Quad band EDGE / Single Band UMTS

Although, I do see mention of 'Quad band.' I just need to know -- will this work in both CDMA and GSM environments with both voice & data?

Thank you, guys!
    No. There are two different versions being developed. They are not world phones.
    TBolt likes this.
    04-11-11 11:40 AM
    I have used pre-paid SIMs in BB Storm2 9550 throughout Asia, Middle East & Africa. No problems ... except one ! I cannot input a scratch card number directly to my phone. I have to remove the SIM, put it in a standard phone (in my case a Nokia 6020), key in the credit, then replace the SIM into my BB. Does anyone know how I can overcome this ONE problem?
    06-12-11 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD