05-26-10 01:09 AM
40 12
tools
    Umm...VzW is not some non-profit organization here. Everything they do is for revenue. As I stated before your choices are to not get the phone or go somewhere else.
    Thanks captain obvious. In case you haven't figured out, I know what the options are, I'm explaining why VZW's policy is crap. It's nice to have the $10/month data plan option for people who actually use data, but it shouldn't be required.
    05-24-10 12:48 PM
    Thanks captain obvious. In case you haven't figured out, I know what the options are, I'm explaining why VZW's policy is crap. It's nice to have the $10/month data plan option for people who actually use data, but it shouldn't be required.
    It's not crap...sorry...VZW policies are solid...that's why they are one of the largest networks out there. You have options if you don't want to pay for data. VZW has two nice full QWERTY keyboard (feature phones). They have nice QWERTY (3G multimedia phones). If you want a nice phone, be prepared to pay for it. VZ isn't UNICEF...

So say what you want about their policies, but they are obviously doing something right. If you don't like it, leave. It's that simple.
    05-24-10 03:28 PM
    The policy is crap; but if the device was released before the mandatory data requirement you can have them block *ALL* data.
    This does mean no MMS. You will not be able to activate the device via the web. You will have to talk to a CSR.

I just activated a Treo 700W for my daughter with a data block.
    05-24-10 04:34 PM
    It's not crap...sorry...VZW policies are solid...that's why they are one of the largest networks out there. You have options if you don't want to pay for data. VZW has two nice full QWERTY keyboard (feature phones). They have nice QWERTY (3G multimedia phones). If you want a nice phone, be prepared to pay for it. VZ isn't UNICEF...

So say what you want about their policies, but they are obviously doing something right. If you don't like it, leave. It's that simple.
    So you like paying for something you don't use? This is coming from a customer standpoint, not a shareholder standpoint. I agree its good business. Hey who wouldn't want to make an extra $10/month from 30 or 40 million people (just an estimate.. i could be way off.. but you get the point)

Say you buy a car with Onstar, but you don't want on-star and you don't use it, but you still have to pay for it whether you use it or not.

Or you buy a house and there is a security system installed, except you don't want to use it and turn it off, but you still have to pay for it.

Yes, I know I have the choice to not buy said car or said house... but the issue remains, why should I be forced to pay for something I still don't use. It's not about paying for the nice phone or VZW recouping the cost of subsidizing the phone via the data plan. You can buy any of those multimedia phones outright and you're still on the hook for a data plan.

Whine all you like to me about how on its policy and what Verizon says goes and they know best... that's how us consumers get stuck with crappy policies like mandatory data plans on dumb phones, because you assume its for the best and bend over.
    05-24-10 05:09 PM
    If you don't want On-Star, then don't buy a car that has On-Star.
    If you don't want to pay for BioDiesel, then don't buy a vehicle that requires BioDiesel.

Seems pretty simple.

You have a CHOICE before you even purchase a device or service.

It doesn't matter if you use it or not.

These are the same arguments that people made when carriers started requiring data plans on BlackBerry devices and smartphones.

And it don't "assume its for the best", but I understand that it is the COMPANY's prerogative not ours. And I accept that or I go elsewhere.

Again, seems pretty simple to me.
    05-24-10 06:12 PM
    So you like paying for something you don't use? This is coming from a customer standpoint, not a shareholder standpoint. I agree its good business. Hey who wouldn't want to make an extra $10/month from 30 or 40 million people (just an estimate.. i could be way off.. but you get the point)

Say you buy a car with Onstar, but you don't want on-star and you don't use it, but you still have to pay for it whether you use it or not.

Or you buy a house and there is a security system installed, except you don't want to use it and turn it off, but you still have to pay for it.

Yes, I know I have the choice to not buy said car or said house... but the issue remains, why should I be forced to pay for something I still don't use. It's not about paying for the nice phone or VZW recouping the cost of subsidizing the phone via the data plan. You can buy any of those multimedia phones outright and you're still on the hook for a data plan.

Whine all you like to me about how on its policy and what Verizon says goes and they know best... that's how us consumers get stuck with crappy policies like mandatory data plans on dumb phones, because you assume its for the best and bend over.

Great post. Too many VZW fanboys on here. Our best option is to refuse to pay for it, which is what I'm doing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 07:49 PM
    I think it's crazy as well to require a data plan on a feature phone.

But what is even crazier is the people that are acting like they own VZW or are VZW just cause they work for them. The OP is only venting his frustration over the situation as a customer. All the "oh well deal with it or leave" stuff is not necessary.
    05-24-10 09:51 PM

Those phones are built to use data just not in a way of a smartphone/pda. This is for people who love data but don't want to learn a more complicated device. There are people who don't do enough data that warrant having a pda/smartphone.
    05-25-10 03:07 AM

Lord have mercy. Get a simple feat phone and be done with it. Leave if you're not happy with the phone choices. VZW is demanding due to people wanting credits for "accidentally" accessing data. That lie won't fly anymore. Get use to it. Sugar Honey Ice Tea, they've started as of today, you will get capped and credited up to 50% of broadband access. NO MORE 100%. So get ready. VZW will make you pay or you can pay to bounce if you don't like. It's your choice.
    05-25-10 03:14 AM
    Apparently he needs a dumbphone since he is to dumb to figure out your point.
    "he is too dumb.." Spell/grammar check before insulting someone.
    05-25-10 09:35 AM
    Lord have mercy. Get a simple feat phone and be done with it. Leave if you're not happy with the phone choices. VZW is demanding due to people wanting credits for "accidentally" accessing data. That lie won't fly anymore. Get use to it. Sugar Honey Ice Tea, they've started as of today, you will get capped and credited up to 50% of broadband access. NO MORE 100%. So get ready. VZW will make you pay or you can pay to bounce if you don't like. It's your choice.
    Might wanna wipe that brown stuff off your nose.

You just aren't getting it. It's not hard to tell who is intentionally accessing data and who is accidentally accessing data. VZW can tell how much you use, everytime you use data it pops up on your bill when you used it and how much you used. They will know if you just hit the button, went the the home screen and realized you hit the wrong button, compared to the person who actually wanted to use the web but is too cheap to pay for it.

Those phones are built to use data just not in a way of a smartphone/pda. This is for people who love data but don't want to learn a more complicated device. There are people who don't do enough data that warrant having a pda/smartphone.
    It's great to have the option of a smaller data plan for less frequent data users. I'm also totally cool with them capping credits for web usage or limiting how many times they will credit, what I'm not okay with is requiring a data plan for non smart phones. And that's okay.. you don't need to brown nose VZW and tell me if I don't like it I can leave. I have the phone I wanted (can't wait to get rid of it now, but when I bought it it was what I wanted) and all of the features I want.
    05-25-10 10:30 AM
    Too many VZW fanboys/girls.
    The policy is crap and a money grab.
    They can and do block data as a routine thing.
    My daughter has a Treo 700w just for that reason.
    I wanted a decent phone with a music players games, etc. I didn't want to pay for a data plan she will not be using.

She also needed a keyboard.
    The Treo 700w predates the policy, you just ask for a data block.
    It's easy. VZW can block data on *ANY* phone, they chose to rip people off.

Call it what you like, but it is a *RIP* and the idiotic policy ought to rest in pieces.
    Last edited by tech_head; 05-25-10 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
    05-25-10 07:32 PM
    You'll need to be on a Nationwide plan and you can activate the Envy 2 w/out data, but not an Envy 3.
    05-25-10 08:35 PM
    it's not hard to tell who is intentionally accessing data and who is accidentally accessing data. VZW can tell how much you use, everytime you use data it pops up on your bill when you used it and how much you used. They will know if you just hit the button, went the the home screen and realized you hit the wrong button, compared to the person who actually wanted to use the web but is too cheap to pay for it.

I know cause I see it every day.
    05-26-10 01:07 AM
    "he is too dumb.." Spell/grammar check before insulting someone.
    I know I typed it wrong. I didn't care enough to correct it. Apparently, YOU DO!
    05-26-10 01:09 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD