05-26-10 12:09 AM
40 12
tools
    If I buy say, an env3 on eBay, will I be forced into the $10/month data plan? I'm looking to pick up two dumbphones. Both users have never incurred data charges and don't plan on using data. The only "feature" phones at VZW seem lacking right now compared to the well-designed env3. What about an env2 even?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 11:12 AM
    As soon at the device is ACTIVATED on the network, you will automatically have the REQUIRED data plan added to your account.

Note the enV2 does not require data.
    05-22-10 11:32 AM
    Check out the LG Cosmos. This device is slick and does not require a data plan. It is a slider with full qwerty keyboard.
    05-22-10 11:42 AM
    As soon at the device is ACTIVATED on the network, you will automatically have the REQUIRED data plan added to your account.

Note the enV2 does not require data.
    Well technically I'm on the older nationwide plan (or whatever they call it..."select" instead of "talk and text"). So would activating that myself and not getting the plan "upgrade' matter?

05-22-10 12:12 PM
    Well technically I'm on the older nationwide plan (or whatever they call it..."select" instead of "talk and text"). So would activating that myself and not getting the plan "upgrade' matter?

You would get to keep your same plan but you would be required to add the data plan with any 3G Multimedia phone you add to your plan, even if you buy it from a 3rd party like eBay, Craigslist or a friend.
    05-22-10 12:18 PM
    No, when you activate the phone the system will determine if a data plan is required based on the equipment type and require that the proper plan is applied. You got to love technology don't ya.
    05-22-10 12:19 PM
    such crap. i get that for smartphones, they require a data plan, but its ridiculous requiring it for other phones.

My gripe on them requiring for the EnV3, EnV Touch and a few others is that they were released BEFORE Verizon started requiring a $9.99 data plan.

To the OP, sorry, but if you want to get around the 9.99 data plan you have to go with an older enhanced multimedia phone.
    05-22-10 12:48 PM
    such crap. i get that for smartphones, they require a data plan, but its ridiculous requiring it for other phones.

My gripe on them requiring for the EnV3, EnV Touch and a few others is that they were released BEFORE Verizon started requiring a $9.99 data plan.

To the OP, sorry, but if you want to get around the 9.99 data plan you have to go with an older enhanced multimedia phone.
    Even though they were released before the required data, you are trying to activate it after you already knew that that specific phone requires data. My wife upgraded her phone to the EnV3 a few days before they required it in January. So I got lucky there, but unfortuately, there is no loop hole on this one. If you got the phone before they required it, than you're grandfathered in.
    05-22-10 12:56 PM
    What's your point? You used to be able to get a Blackberry without a data plan. Then they added the requirement.

If you have a Blackberry that was added to your account without data from before the requirement kicked in, then it's grandfathered in, as is the case for anyone that has a "3G Multimedia Phone" that was added to the account before the requirement was added.

Things change, and if you had it before the change, then you're set. Otherwise, it's new rules. Is it really that annoying? There are QWERTY "Simple Feature Phones" that don't require a data plan.
    05-22-10 01:04 PM

There are two simple solutions to your gripe: Don't get the phone or go some where else.
    05-22-10 01:35 PM
    And that's exactly it. No new /two year agreements to VZW. Having a QWERTY keyboard doesn't make the phone equal to the env3.

"is it really that annoying?" Hand me $240 over two years for an unused feature and let me know how that feels

05-22-10 01:52 PM
    And that's exactly it. No new /two year agreements to VZW. Having a QWERTY keyboard doesn't make the phone equal to the env3.

"is it really that annoying?" Hand me $240 over two years for an unused feature and let me know how that feels

I would never hand over something I didn't feel I should. But if I want a phone I pay for whats required. You buy a luxury car and it requires Premium gas, do you take it back or do you pay the extra .30+ cents a gallon? You buy a Blu-Ray and it requires a HDMI cable, do you take it back or do you pay for a 70 dollar cable that allows you to enjoy your new toy? Because even if you buy a used luxury car a a used Blu-Ray player it still requires those extras. Moral of the story, if you're to cheap to pay for a phone and the feature requirements, they have phones for you: Simple Feature phones.
    05-22-10 02:10 PM
    Doesn't matter.

And even though you think that you are "activating that myself", the SYSTEM is activating the device.

The system knows what kind of phone it is by the ESN.

And they system will AUTOMATICALLY add the REQUIRED data plan to your account.

Get a different phone if you don't want to pay for data.
    05-22-10 02:24 PM
    I would never hand over something I didn't feel I should. But if I want a phone I pay for whats required. You buy a luxury car and it requires Premium gas, do you take it back or do you pay the extra .30+ cents a gallon? You buy a Blu-Ray and it requires a HDMI cable, do you take it back or do you pay for a 70 dollar cable that allows you to enjoy your new toy? Because even if you buy a used luxury car a a used Blu-Ray player it still requires those extras. Moral of the story, if you're to cheap to pay for a phone and the feature requirements, they have phones for you: Simple Feature phones.
    You need HDMI cables for HD. You don't need data on a dumbphone.

05-22-10 02:35 PM

According to VzW you do. That's why there's Simple Feature phones. I have no idea why this is so hard to understand...if you don't want to pay for it, don't get it.
    05-22-10 03:15 PM
    It's not a dumbphone it's a Feature Phone. You don't have to like it. You don't even have to agree with it. But it is still a fact. And you cannot get around it.

Get a different device.
    05-22-10 03:21 PM
    If you dont want to pay the $10 then dont get the phone, its that simple.

BKVic
    05-22-10 03:39 PM
    Exactly. I'm not getting it. And neither is VZW getting the money. I wish they'd design some decent non-data phones.

Moto, you must work with VZW. By dumbphone I mean a non-smartphone. No one calls them "feature phones". LOL

05-22-10 03:50 PM
    I absolutely do NOT (repeat NOT) work for Verizon or any other communications company.

But wrong is wrong. And you are wrong. Sorry.

And Verizon calls them Feature Phones. That's the whole point that you are missing. You do NOT have the option. They do. It's their "house". You have to go by their rules. Period.
    05-22-10 04:21 PM

Apparently he needs a dumbphone since he is to dumb to figure out your point.
    05-23-10 01:21 AM
    it is simply stated and I don't understand why people don't get it.
    05-23-10 02:10 AM
    Lol, I do get it. And it's useless on VZW's part to require this. They aren't smartphones. I guess that's another thread. Thanks to those who answered the initial question.

05-23-10 07:46 AM

Well, if we're gonna get technical, you could just as easily get HD with component cables, DVI, a VGA port, etc....

People mention buying premium gas for a luxury car... that's not really the right analogy. It's more like having the luxury car or sports car, and not having any gas at all. (As my boss puts it.)

Many of these devices were specifically intended for data. But people kept buying 'em and shutting off the data just because they "looked cool", or buying them for their kids, NOT shutting off the data, and harassed us monthly when the kiddos treated the ringtone previews like a little radio and generated data charges. Don't even get me started on people who accidentally hit the mobile web button constantly.

Well, after us call center folks dealing with these scenarios for several years, the suits eventually got a clue. If people want "just plain phone", they should buy "just plain phone". Data phones should be specifically for the audience that will use them as such. The solution? Increase the selection of "just plain phone", and make the data phones require a plan to prevent "accidents", and so that people who buy these phones can use them as intended.
    05-23-10 02:32 PM
    Well, if we're gonna get technical, you could just as easily get HD with component cables, DVI, a VGA port, etc....

People mention buying premium gas for a luxury car... that's not really the right analogy. It's more like having the luxury car or sports car, and not having any gas at all. (As my boss puts it.)

Many of these devices were specifically intended for data. But people kept buying 'em and shutting off the data just because they "looked cool", or buying them for their kids, NOT shutting off the data, and harassed us monthly when the kiddos treated the ringtone previews like a little radio and generated data charges. Don't even get me started on people who accidentally hit the mobile web button constantly.

Well, after us call center folks dealing with these scenarios for several years, the suits eventually got a clue. If people want "just plain phone", they should buy "just plain phone". Data phones should be specifically for the audience that will use them as such. The solution? Increase the selection of "just plain phone", and make the data phones require a plan to prevent "accidents", and so that people who buy these phones can use them as intended.
    And you don't agree that it's crap? Look I get that enough people make mistakes and use data when they didn't mean to, or forget to disable the data on their child's phone, but that's no reason to punish the rest of the customer base.

There are plenty of people who want a nice multimedia phone to put their music on, text with a full keyboard but NOT use data. Instead we're punished with a limited selection of phones because too many people were 'accidentally' using data. As if the feature phones can't browse the web too. They can, and they still incur those pesky data charges for accidentally hitting the wrong button. The easy fix would be a little disclaimer screen that says hey if you proceed you'll incur data charges...and the option to disable it by the customer AFTER reading and understanding the disclaimer. But oh no, why would VZW want to do that? That will just lose them money.

It may have been an issue for all you call center folks, but at the end of the day the decision wasn't to help the customer, it was to drive up revenue.
    05-24-10 01:27 AM
    .... but at the end of the day the decision wasn't to help the customer, it was to drive up revenue.
    Umm...VzW is not some non-profit organization here. Everything they do is for revenue. As I stated before your choices are to not get the phone or go somewhere else.
    05-24-10 01:34 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD