Hi all,

I have a VZW Blackberry Tour with a voice+txt+data plan. This phone has been unlocked. I also have a separate phone and voice+txt line with Singtel in Singapore, which is where I will be for the next six weeks.

I'm currently in Singapore, and I want to use my Singapore line on my Blackberry device. I was told by the VZW rep that since my phone has been unlocked, I can insert my Singapore SIM card and make and receive calls at local rates.

My question is about text and data. I already have texting on my Singapore plan and I'm considering adding data. If I do, will that allow me to use text and data on my Blackberry, also at local rates?

I'm paranoid because the prices VZW quoted for text and data when roaming are really high, and I want to make sure I don't get charged extravagant prices.

Basically, I want to ensure that I'm being charged at local rates for voice, text AND data since I have them all on the plan that is attached to my Singapore SIM card. Any help is much appreciated!
    07-06-10 09:04 PM
    Just make sure that your phone is set to GSM only and with the other carrier SIM in the phone you will not have worry about VZW rates at all. But you will have to have your pin released from the VZW BIS in order to use Blackberry data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 09:20 PM
    Thanks supermario28. The VZW rep who helped unlock my phone didn't say anything about the VZW BIS pin. I also called again and spoke to a different rep to confirm that I wouldn't be charged any VZW rates. Who should I call to get my VZW BIS pin released?
    07-06-10 09:41 PM
    Vzw can do that for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 09:51 PM
    Can you tell me what the difference is between Blackberry data and just regular data? What if I just use the data that's on my plan now?
    07-07-10 12:05 AM
    BlackBerry Data goes through the RIM servers.

You will not be able to use BlackBerry Data features (browser, push email, MMS, BBM, other IM applications, Facebook, Google applications, etc) without a BlackBerry specific data plan.
    07-07-10 05:58 AM
    I ran into the same problem when I moved to London for several months. I was told I would have to have the PIN released to use Orange's data plan. I made many calls to Verizon,spoke to supervisors etc. and I was told by everybody at Verizon it was their policy not to release a PIN (my phone is unlocked). Once I arrived in London I decided to try Orange's data plan anyway since it was only 5 pounds a month and lo and behold it worked, even though my PIN is still registered to Verizon. I can't say it will work for you, but it can't hurt to try.
    07-07-10 06:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD