Any and all advice that you can give on the matter would be more than appreciated!

Long story (not very) short - I got a BlackBerry Storm in May of this year. I had a Alltel plan under my mother's service for years. However, they were unable to port the phone number over to Verizon when I created a new service under my own name when I got the Storm. The Alltel number was no longer under contract, but nobody could figure out why in the world the number wouldn't port over. So they suggested I call the Alltel support to figure out why the number couldn't be ported.

I called the Alltel number, and they didn't know why it couldn't be ported either. It wasn't in a divested area, as it was set to switch over to Verizon fully when the time came. I then called Verizon support back, and relayed the information to them. I was told by the rep that I had two choices:

1) Wait out the service until Alltel became merged with Verizon, at which point my Alltel number (once Verizon) would switch to a Verizon number, and I could do a number change, making my Blackberry Storm Verizon number the old Alltel number, and then being able to cancel the old Alltel plan (as it wasn't needed any longer).

or

2) He was going to allow me to completely cancel my account (it was within the 30 day grace period), return all equipment back to the Verizon store, and waive the restocking fee. Then once Alltel became merged with Verizon, I could create a new service, and use the old Alltel number as the number for my new phone, and cancel the old Alltel service.

I chose option 1. I had already fallen in love with my smartphone, and didn't want to give it up for an unknown amount of months until Alltel finally merged with Verizon. So I left my Alltel plan active as well, so that I wouldn't lose my Alltel number in the wait.

Fast forward to today. My mother, who my old Alltel number was under, and I went to the Verizon store to make the number switch and cancel the old plan. When we got there, the customer service rep said that they were unable to perform that type of transfer using their system, and that I had to call the Verizon support number and make the switch with them. I figured that wouldn't be a problem, and we went home to call the support number to make the switch.

I called the number, got a hold of a rep, told him the situation, and explained what I would like to do, and what I was told that I could do. He put me on hold while he tried to figure out what to do. After awhile, he came back on and informed me that what I was requesting was impossible, and that he was in no way able to do it.

When I inquired more about what the problem was, he said that it was an old "Alltel number", and that "it wouldn't fully work if used as a Verizon phone number". He stated that things like Visual Voicemail, email, GPS, etc wouldn't work with it, because it was an old Alltel number. He went on to tel me that they encourage anyone with an old Alltel number to upgrade to a Verizon plan with a Verizon phone number.

I then asked him what would happen to the millions of Alltel phone numbers that people were currently using, if they were all suposed to switch to a Verizon phone number in order to get full functionality with their service plan. He said that the numbers would eventually be recycled, but as of right now they were useless.

He said that my only option was to open another line under my current plan (changing it to a family plan), move the Alltel number over to my plan, get a Verizon phone to use with the number, and then at that point it would "kind of work". But it still wouldn't fully work, and I wouldn't be able to use it with my BlackBerry because it was an Alltel number.

So now I'm upset, frustrated, and out a fair amount of money for keeping my old Alltel number active for so long, since I was told that I would be able to switch to that number once Alltel switched over to Verizon! I'm also a bit confused, because I've never heard anything yet in regards to an Alltel number being incompatible with Verizon service! I've heard issues with the phones themselves not being fully compatible, but nothing with the phone numbers!

Can anybody shed some light on my situation? Am I completely unreasonable with what I am trying to do? Or was the guy completely blowing smoke and that it should be able to be switched over? Any and all information that you can give on the situation would be more than helpful. And if i didn't clarify myself fully, please feel free to ask questions, and I will try to respond with as much information as I can to help out with this.

Thanks!
    10-26-09 09:28 PM
    No its not all the same. What are the area codes and exchanges of your numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 12:01 PM
    No its not all the same. What are the area codes and exchanges of your numbers.

Sorry for my delayed response - just got off of work.

The area code for the number that I currently am using is 402. The exchange is 943.

The area code for the number that I want to switch over is 402. The exchange is 750.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ElectroWolf; 10-27-09 at 07:30 PM.
    10-27-09 06:00 PM
    To expand on the topic - I called Verizon again tonight to see what I could do. This time, I was told that the phone number is in fact fully capable of taking advantage of Verizon's services, just like any other number would. However, I was also told that since the merger has taken place, and that the phone number is now a Verizon number, that there is no way to "port" the phone number to replace the number currently on my account with! This is exactly the opposite of what I was told prior to the Alltel takeover, in that I needed to wait UNTIL the number was a Verizon number before I could do anything.

I was told that my only option was to file an Assumption of Liability, take control of the phone number under my account, sign a new contract with it (if I wanted to), and to file for an ETF for my current number. Without paying an ETF, I would have to have both numbers on my account active, as there was absolutely no way to switch numbers on the account from one phone to another.

Does this seem right? Essentially, with this method, I would have to pay $160.00 for an ETF fee for my current account, and do an AOL to get my old number moved as a new line on my current account.

Man, this is starting to get frustrating!
    10-27-09 09:17 PM
    Does this seem right? Essentially, with this method, I would have to pay $160.00 for an ETF fee for my current account, and do an AOL to get my old number moved as a new line on my current account.

Man, this is starting to get frustrating!
    Yeah, this sounds legit. But since you were given incorrect information from the beginning I'd complain till someone waived the ETF.
    10-27-09 09:47 PM
    I'm really sorry for the trouble you are having with the merger. I wish I had some insight into your situation, except that you just have to keep pushing the matter and don't be afraid to get nasty about it. You are a paying and obviously loyal customer and you deserve more than them giving you the running around.

I can share with you what happened to me.
    In March I went into Alltel and before signing the contract I let them know that I was moving to Ohio, to an area where they never had Alltel. I told them that when I was moving I had all intentions of changing my phone number to a local number and they assured me that I would be able to make changes to my account as normal. So the time came when I moved, so I tried to call and get them to change my phone number and they said they couldn't do it over the phone that i would have better luck at a verizon store. So i go, and they can't do anything for me. They insist that if I want a new number I would have to get a Verizon phone with a new contract. So I did, but then they wanted to charge me another deposit and another ETF. that was about all I could stand, I called Alltel/Verizon every day demanding to talk to supervisors until I got my $600 back. I know this has nothing to do with your problem, but you just have to be persistent and dont let their ignorance stop you, good luck with trying to reach a compromise.

Just makes me wonder where Alltel ends and Verizon begins.
    My favorite response to a call I made was that Alltel and Verizon were still acting as separate companies, and that they would continue to do so until the merger had been complete in all areas. I think they just meant until they've pretty much forced everyone to jump the Alltel ship.
    10-27-09 09:53 PM
    I'm not sure, because I don't work in customer service or sales. Is there a way to transfer contracts to another MDN?

I think the AOL would be your best option and then put the Storm on that line obviously if you can transfer the contract to that line and cancel your vzw number.

Even then you won't be able to use Visual Voicemail as the number will still use the Alltel VM platform. Your old Alltel number may come with a VZW bill now, but is hardly seen as a true VZW number.

There are still a lot of stuff that has to convert before you can say the number is a true VZW number. And no they are not going to trash the old Alltel numbers...

Voicemail Platforms will need to convert over and this will take place by markets. It will be sometime next year if not later before your area converts. Text Messaging will also still route through the Alltel SMSC. So when Alltel has an intercarrier issue - you won't be able to text even a VZW number.

Your data, e-mail, gps will work with an Alltel MDN. Don't worry about that.
    10-27-09 10:27 PM
    Well...

First off... I would highly advise NOT to get "nasty" with Verizon. Don't call in demanding stuff, 90% of the time it will get you NO WHERE. If it worked for whoever, good for them, but for the most part you'll get more from the reps if you try to be as understanding as possible....

You'll probably have to do an AOL to get your current account connected to the Alltel account with your number on it...

The problem is the ETF. If they waive it, then you'll have your Storm, your number, and no contract. So that would be unfair in the completely opposite direction.

Its a really difficult situation to be in, and unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is much that can be done. I don't believe its possible to add a contract a contract to the line with your Alltel number on it, then disconnect the new line you opened with Verizon...

You really would have to call in...

As for this post...

My favorite response to a call I made was that Alltel and Verizon were still acting as separate companies, and that they would continue to do so until the merger had been complete in all areas. I think they just meant until they've pretty much forced everyone to jump the Alltel ship.
    This was said just a couple sentences after you said...

dont let their ignorance stop you
    Just shows that someone can make a statement, then contradict themself just seconds later... You are clearly ignorant of how the merger happened, and what Verizon/Alltel was and wasn't capable of before the merger...
    Since the merger was NOT yet complete at the time, the two companies were, in a sense, acting as separate companies, this just ended here on the 17th of this month, when all (except hold backs) billing converted...
    Yes, if they in fact told you that you could change numbers to a local number, in an area where Alltel did not offer service (which I highly doubt they did), then they misinformed you. But a rep would have to be pretty stupid to tell you that you can get an Alltel number in an area that Alltel doesn't provide service in...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 10-28-09 at 03:37 AM.
    10-28-09 03:34 AM
    Don't be so sure they wouldn't tell you that you can get a number where there's no market. Verizon told me it was no problem when I was moving to Florida to get my Ohio number switched to a local number once I got there. Guess what, there was no Verizon service in that area and no I couldn't get a number there. I had to cancel the account. No ETF either.

11-01-09 09:01 AM
    It's been awhile since I've been able to find time to call them back and delve more into the issue at hand. However, I managed to find some time again this evening, and essentially ran into the same situation.

It sounds as though my only choice is to do an Assumption of Liability (AOL), cancel my current plan, pay its ETF, and then either move the phone onto that number, or create a new contract and get a new phone, etc. I was really hoping that there was a way that I could just move the contract from my current phone number to that other number. I wasn't trying to get out of paying any ETF, as I was wanting to maintain my current contract, but just on another number. However, it's starting to seem like that's an impossibility to do.

I can probably sell the BB Storm that I have now to cover the ETF, and then put that money towards the purchase of a Storm 2 under a new contract. So, it's not as though I'll be out too much money. But it's just frustrating to have to go this route, especially when the number I wanted to switch it to has been available for months, but nobody knew why it wasn't able to be ported over, and I was told to wait until it became a Verizon number before anything could happen.

So, does this seem like my only resort to everyone? I know reps cant waive ETF fees, and I'm not wanting to outright waive the ETF. If anything, it would be great to just transfer the contract over to another number. Or, cancel and create a new contract immediately on the other number, extending the due date to next November (compared to May when the current one is up), and avoid paying the ETF, as it is in essence migrating the contract to the other number.

Thanks again for all of your help.
    11-08-09 07:04 PM
    Can anybody comment on this and let me know if that in fact does seem like my only option? Or should I be able to either get around the ETF, or get the contract moved to a different number?

Thanks.
    11-10-09 07:37 PM
    Can anybody comment on this and let me know if that in fact does seem like my only option? Or should I be able to either get around the ETF, or get the contract moved to a different number?

Thanks.
    It does seem like your only option. Unless you want to write a letter to Executive Relations through Planetfeedback to see if they will do anything.
    11-10-09 09:33 PM
    It does seem like your only option. Unless you want to write a letter to Executive Relations through Planetfeedback to see if they will do anything.
    Thanks for the idea! Anybody else have any thoughts? It still seems weird to me that I can't change the phone number itself on the phone, as they're telling me it's tied to the contract. Because I thought you could easily get a new number for your phone if you're being spammed, harassed, etc. Or am I completely wrong in regards to that?

Thanks!
    11-11-09 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD