06-03-09 08:14 AM
28 12
tools
    I am looking to buy my first blackberry/smartphone. I recently saw a family member's curve (AT&T) and really liked it. After reading online it seems that hopefully Verizon will be coming out with one in the next year. I would like to buy a used BB in the interum. Could anyone suggest which used BB model I should look into? I was looking at the 8703e, but wondered if one of the older models would also work well. I would be using BIS, just wanting to check my personal email and be able to surf the web. I have seen online that there are some 7xxx models that are very cheap right now, but I wasn't sure if they are just a waste of money? I would like a QWERTY keypad and a color screen. I am not due to a re-up right now, so I would need to go the used route.

Thanks!
    Dinah
    02-06-08 09:08 AM
    Personally, I would reccomend one of the newer models. Since a QWERTY keypad is something you want, the 8830 may be the best fit.
    02-06-08 09:43 AM
    Curve is the way to go, but I can't see Verizon getting it anytime soon. So, the 8830 would have to be the next choice.

Remember this, if a camera is something that you want, then the 8830 would not be for you...
    02-06-08 09:46 AM
    I'd go with a used 8703e to save $ for now, and then move to the curve when it comes out. The 8830 may be a bit much to put down if the curve isn't too far away.
    02-06-08 09:57 AM
    Whatever you do, always buy new devices. Find some place that sells them cheap. Buying them from eBay or someone selling a used one is just asking for trouble. You never know what you're getting. There's way too many threads on here where people bought used and have had issues... anything from stolen phone to faulty devices. In the end they end up with a problem device that they can't get replaced for free from the carrier like you can with new devices. Not only that, but RIM is always making revision corrections on some of these devices to fix little glitches. My first 8830 had screen distortion when using the trackball. The new one does not. Stuff like that. When you buy used, you're buying old.
    02-06-08 10:07 AM
    Thanks everyone. I am trying to save money right not with the hopes that the curve will come out this year. Any suggestions other than ebay for finding a used bb? I would like to stay under $200 which is why I was thinking of going with a 8703e.
    02-06-08 11:15 AM
    02-06-08 11:17 AM
    You can't go wrong - just be careful buying used like they said. Check your local craigslist and have the person meet you at a Verizon store to check the berry out first. They can verify its not stolen etc.

The pearl is great but no qwerty. I wasn't at my upgrade and got them to sell it to me for $229 - almost $200 off. Negotiate! Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-08 12:04 PM
    I'm new to BB and wanted to go the used route first, so I bought a 7250 on eBay for under $40. It's color, has QWERTY keyboard, gets e-mail, etc. All I need. No camera, but I don't want one in my phone. Came with USB cable for PC connection, PC software and travel charger. No holster included. Got it from PC Pro (I'm not affiliated in any way with that company).

Jim
    02-06-08 12:18 PM
    The pearl is great but no qwerty. I wasn't at my upgrade and got them to sell it to me for $229 - almost $200 off. Negotiate! Good luck
    Did you negotiate via the VW store? Right now I would have to pay full retail, which is what I am trying to avoid so I can re-up (hopefully) for the curve in the future

Thanks again for the help!
    02-06-08 01:08 PM
    The Marketplace...
    Thanks! I did look there, but haven't found what I am looking for, yet.
    02-06-08 01:09 PM
    Like others have stated... Buyer beware!
    If you do go that route, and not to your knowledge end up with a stolen phone, the PIN might have been reported as stolen and no matter what you do, you will have nothing more than a very fancy brick!
    02-06-08 01:24 PM
    if you like attention then get the pearl!!!
    if you dont like attention then dotn get it!!!!!!
    if you need a full qwerty and dont care bout looks then get the curve!!
    02-06-08 03:13 PM
    dinah -

i went to stores and called cust svc. they kept telling me that since i had "upgraded" six months previously to the enV, i would have to pay full price for the pearl.

i finally got a rep and her manager at my local vzw store to give me a discount - they actually gave me more of one than what i expected. i told them i was ready to buy, got out my credit card and i guess they took me seriously. i was nice about it the entire time, too, just persistent. so, like i said, they gave me almost $200 off. then i turned around and sold my enV in about 10 minutes on ebay for $229 (using "buy it now"), so i basically traded it even for my pearl!

go to different stores and talk to different people (including managers) if you have to. good luck!
    02-06-08 04:24 PM
    dinah -

i went to stores and called cust svc. they kept telling me that since i had "upgraded" six months previously to the enV, i would have to pay full price for the pearl.

i finally got a rep and her manager at my local vzw store to give me a discount - they actually gave me more of one than what i expected. i told them i was ready to buy, got out my credit card and i guess they took me seriously. i was nice about it the entire time, too, just persistent. so, like i said, they gave me almost $200 off. then i turned around and sold my enV in about 10 minutes on ebay for $229 (using "buy it now"), so i basically traded it even for my pearl!

go to different stores and talk to different people (including managers) if you have to. good luck!
    Thanks! I went to two stores and got nowhere. At the VWS they told me they could give me the one year contract price (basically saying i lost my old phone) but that price was crazy high ($400 plus!!!.) I also went to a authorized dealer and was told the same price
    02-06-08 05:29 PM
    for a used phone, 8703e all the way. you can get a great condition one for less than 200 easy and it does the exact same thing as the 8830 minus the trackball. A lot of people love the old 8703e more than all of the new models. I love my 8703 and am definately holding out for the curve!
    02-06-08 05:33 PM
    I might have found one on craigslist!! I am taking everyone's advice and am meeting the guy at the VWS so I can double check that the phone is clear of any contracts.

Thanks, and hopefully I will become a crackberry adict soon
    02-06-08 05:58 PM
    I really like the pearl 8130
    02-06-08 06:47 PM
    Thanks everyone! I just got back from the VWS (met the guy from craigslist there.) I am now the owner of a 8703e. The VW rep was super nice and helped the guy get all of his info off of it, and then set it up under my number all for free. He also showed me how to use some of the features and google maps. So if anyone is ever at the VWS on Montfort and LJB in Dallas, ask for Tony!!! Now I am off to learn how to use my bb
    02-06-08 09:20 PM
    Awesome!!! Congratulations! You are going to LOVE your new 8703e. Its a great phone and you will surely become addicted. come here first if you have any questions.
    02-06-08 09:42 PM
    Thanks everyone! I just got back from the VWS (met the guy from craigslist there.) I am now the owner of a 8703e. The VW rep was super nice and helped the guy get all of his info off of it, and then set it up under my number all for free. He also showed me how to use some of the features and google maps. So if anyone is ever at the VWS on Montfort and LJB in Dallas, ask for Tony!!! Now I am off to learn how to use my bb
    Congrats! Now you need to change you signature!
    Oh and get ready for many sleepless night in front of your computer...right here!
    02-07-08 04:51 AM
    excellent! glad it worked out for you - congrats
    02-07-08 07:04 AM
    Congrats! You'll Love it!
    Last edited by Jackberry; 02-07-08 at 10:21 AM.
    02-07-08 09:39 AM
    Congrats! Now you need to change you signature!
    Oh and get ready for many sleepless night in front of your computer...right here!
    Sleep! we don't need sleep!!!!
    02-07-08 02:12 PM
    LOL thanks guys! So far I have gotten my email setup, and have downloaded wallpaper and ringtones from crackberry!! I am still figuring everything out, but I just love this phone. Now if I could only find a nice case for it. I have been all over looking for one I could get today, but it looks like I am going to have to order one.
    02-07-08 07:10 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD