Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been searching and can't find anything that can help me.

Another number on our plan is available for an upgrade, but my number is not. Would Verizon let us upgrade with the other number, but put the phone on my number? Or will they not do that? Thanks in advance!
    01-08-10 11:44 AM
    VZ lets the primary account owner 'give' their upgrade to anyone on the plan. from my experience, they do not allow a secondary line upgrade to be passed to the primary number.

i was told to try moving the phones between numbers at home using web activation, but never tried.
    01-08-10 11:59 AM
    Yes you can, this is called a buddy upgrade, or upgrade the line that is eligable and activate it. Once this done the device can be moved to another line.
    01-08-10 12:02 PM
    VZ lets the primary account owner 'give' their upgrade to anyone on the plan. from my experience, they do not allow a secondary line upgrade to be passed to the primary number.

i was told to try moving the phones between numbers at home using web activation, but never tried.
    Actually, they may, but it probably depends on who you talk to. I was able to use my son's upgrade (mine is the primary line).
    01-08-10 12:04 PM
    They just take the upgrade and apply the phone. I dont think it matters whos does what with it, just the line gets renewed and the ne2 is extended
    01-08-10 02:06 PM
    They just take the upgrade and apply the phone. I dont think it matters whos does what with it, just the line gets renewed and the ne2 is extended
    This sounds accurate. I received some advertising in the mail a few weeks ago indicating that that could be done.
    01-08-10 07:25 PM
    Awesome! I'll go into the store to see if that can be worked out.

The only other question I have is, do they need to activate the phone under that line first, THEN switch it to my number? Or can it go straight to my number, because the person who has the upgrade eligibility will not be able to come with me to do it.
    01-09-10 02:59 AM
    Awesome! I'll go into the store to see if that can be worked out.

The only other question I have is, do they need to activate the phone under that line first, THEN switch it to my number? Or can it go straight to my number, because the person who has the upgrade eligibility will not be able to come with me to do it.
    It does have to be activated on the line upgrading first, because the contract will extend, but that can be done and the other phone on the other line reactivated with out the other user there.
    01-09-10 07:27 AM
    As Mario said, it can be done. VZW prefers to have both phones turned when changing ESN/MEID numbers in the system. Since the other person does not want to go with you, maybe they can at least turn off their phone about 5 minutes while the device is activated. Just call when the rep is ready to do the changes.
    01-09-10 07:34 AM
    This is exactly what I just did a few days ago. I ordered the 8330 Curve at the $9.99 insane upgrade price. My number (primary) was not eligible for an upgrade but my mom's number was. I placed the upgrade order using her cell number on the order. The important thing to remember is that when the phone arrives you should call the CS number and not do the automated activation. This way you can speak to an agent and explain exactly what you need to do. It worked perfectly for me and took about 5 to 10 minutes. Good luck!
    01-09-10 01:26 PM
    I didn't mention my entire transaction was done online, not at a VW store.
    01-09-10 01:28 PM
    I am now a convert to ordering off the VW website. You get the same or better discount as you do at the store and you don't have to deal with any mail-in rebates. All online discounts are instant and most of the the prices are lower on the website. The 8330 Curve I just purchase was $29.99 at the store (after $100 rebate) and $9.99 on their website, plus sales tax of $35. I'll go away now.
    01-09-10 01:35 PM
    Yes you can, this is called a buddy upgrade, or upgrade the line that is eligable and activate it. Once this done the device can be moved to another line.
    Actually its called an "alternate upgrade" as long as at least 1 line on the account is eligible, you can get a new phone and put it on any line on the account.
    01-09-10 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD