I gotta do somethin about upgrading my phone. I currently have an LG Scoop with which I was previously an Alltel customer. This phone randomly shuts off completely and has shut of on me in the middle of a call twice now. I am not eligible for an upgrade until March 25, but I figured from talking to a couple others thru the forums on here it may be worth giving Verizon a call and speaking to them. I was thinking about the Storm 9530, but due to all the not-so-great things I've heard about them and the availability, I've been thinking of the Tour 9630. It will run every app that I would ever want plus some and I text quite a bit. What do you all think?
    Last edited by jcls.wv519; 01-26-10 at 09:50 PM.
    01-26-10 09:47 PM
    If you're on Alltel pricing still, they will let you upgrade to a new phone to get a VZW phone/pricing. You can call up about it to get more info as I've never done it, but when it was around, I remember they were trying to do everything possible to get Alltel customers to move to Verizon plans. I'll do some more checking for you.

EDIT: Your future should involve Droid btw
    01-26-10 10:02 PM
    Looks like I spoke too soon.. I still have the paperwork on it and it looks like it might have just been for family share change overs and probably is long gone by now as I can't find it in my resources. Someone else more knowledgeable might have to chime in.
    01-26-10 10:09 PM
    Find another phone and call CS. They may be able to move up your upgrade date. You they're reluctant and you can't wait, see if they'll do it for the 1 yr contract price which usually isn't much more. Don't let them talk you into signing up for a verizon plan as Alltel customers who are eligible to upgrade can keep the same plan and get verizon phone with contract extension. If you're on on a family plan by any chance and another line is eligible, you can also do an alternate upgrade. Verizon will also allow everyone on a family plan to upgrade and transfer to a verizon plan if one line is eligible. Not sure why anyone would do that but they will also give you a $30 credit on top of the 2 yr contract price if you get certain phones.

And DROIDDOES.
    Last edited by PJnc284; 01-26-10 at 10:19 PM.
    01-26-10 10:17 PM
    Whoops, this just in...

The Alltel Device Promotion for Upgrade Ineligible Heritage Alltel Customers allows customers, who have a heritage Alltel device and are currently ineligible for an upgrade, to upgrade to a new Verizon Wireless device and take advantage of the unlimited calling plan options effective 01/18/2010.

-Customer must change to a new Verizon Wireless unlimited plan.
    -Customers upgrading to a 3G multimedia device will need to add a $9.99 or higher data feature.

I assume you can just change to a dif plan after you goto the unlimited, doesn't list any length of time on the plan and depending on who you talk to, you might be able to switch back to your Alltel plan within 60 days and keep the phone. Just assuming here and YMMV as this just showed up in my system so I'm not exactly sure how everything would work or if you would be able to switch back to the Alltel plan. Food for thought..
    01-26-10 10:24 PM
    My wife got on eBay and found a new pink Pearl 8130 that she would rather have than her red one. I am getting her red 8130 when the nnew one comes in! Problem solved about the Scoop shutting off on me! Now I will wait on the price of the 9550 to come down or see what becomes of VZW getting the iPhone.
    01-27-10 12:26 PM
    Whoops, this just in...

The Alltel Device Promotion for Upgrade Ineligible Heritage Alltel Customers allows customers, who have a heritage Alltel device and are currently ineligible for an upgrade, to upgrade to a new Verizon Wireless device and take advantage of the unlimited calling plan options effective 01/18/2010.

-Customer must change to a new Verizon Wireless unlimited plan.
    -Customers upgrading to a 3G multimedia device will need to add a $9.99 or higher data feature.

I assume you can just change to a dif plan after you goto the unlimited, doesn't list any length of time on the plan and depending on who you talk to, you might be able to switch back to your Alltel plan within 60 days and keep the phone. Just assuming here and YMMV as this just showed up in my system so I'm not exactly sure how everything would work or if you would be able to switch back to the Alltel plan. Food for thought..
    Oh wow. This is gonna start problems.

Since an Allel plan is considered legacy pricing, you can not go back to it after upgrading to a VZW plan. Just like you can not go back to America's Choice.
    01-27-10 12:39 PM
    Somewhat related to the op's post but I have been having troubles with my usb port and have no claims for asurion. Being an AllTel customer on an AllTel plan, would I be able to get an upgrade by switching to a vzw plan? From the above I gathered I could, but not sure

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 02:16 PM
    Somewhat related to the op's post but I have been having troubles with my usb port and have no claims for asurion. Being an AllTel customer on an AllTel plan, would I be able to get an upgrade by switching to a vzw plan? From the above I gathered I could, but not sure

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes there is a current promotion that allows you to upgrade to a VZW device if you get a Nationwide Unlimited plan.
    01-27-10 03:56 PM
    You can also take advantage of the annual upgrade, yet remain on your Alltel plan. If the Pearls you will be using are Alltel, you'll obviously have to stay on that plan. If they're Verizon phones, they will work on either an Alltel or Verizon plan.
    This is good to hear! Eases my mind cuz I wanna keep the Alltel plan because it will support both smartphones, it's the Family SmartPack 500. The new one my wife will carry will be a VZW phone while the one that she is currently carrying is an Alltel phone. I wanna keep that plan as long as I can!
    01-27-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD