Hello, newbie here, hope I put this in the correct forum section :-|

I have Verizon, my plan contract ends in Feb. '10. My Cell Phone isn't up for a free upgrade until May '10 (it was a replacement for lost phone). Is it possible to get a new phone (I want a "Blackburrrrrriiieeeeee" Storm) in Feb. with a contract renewal? Maybe if I tell them I won't resign without a new phone, which is partially true anyway - I have also thought about an iPhone for its features, but don't know if I can handle the shoddy AT&T service. I am pretty happy with VZW.
    08-30-09 02:43 PM
    Hello, newbie here, hope I put this in the correct forum section :-|

I have Verizon, my plan contract ends in Feb. '10. My Cell Phone isn't up for a free upgrade until May '10 (it was a replacement for lost phone). Is it possible to get a new phone (I want a "Blackburrrrrriiieeeeee" Storm) in Feb. with a contract renewal? Maybe if I tell them I won't resign without a new phone, which is partially true anyway - I have also thought about an iPhone for its features, but don't know if I can handle the shoddy AT&T service. I am pretty happy with VZW.
    I'd say it's possible. They may even let you upgrade now depending on how much you pay for your current price plan and payment history.
    08-30-09 04:02 PM
    I'd say it's possible. They may even let you upgrade now depending on how much you pay for your current price plan and payment history.
    Really? I've heard people say that Verizon will make NO EXCEPTIONS regarding attempts to upgrade a phone for 'upgrade' price unless you are ridiculously close to your eligible upgrade date?

I had a treo before I got my curve and have been paying verizon almost $100/month for at 2.5 years+ now. You think If i tried to get the tour now (not eligible until next august for an upgrade), theyd do it?
    08-30-09 06:55 PM
    My renewal times were similar to yours. If you dare chance it, terminate your agreement early - it should be about $100. Wait a week and you may get an offer in the mail asking you to come back.

I cancelled an extra line (not my main line) and a week later received an offer for an additional $50 off the renewal price plus reversing the termination fee. The offer was aimed at people who terminate early.
    08-30-09 07:13 PM
    Really? I've heard people say that Verizon will make NO EXCEPTIONS regarding attempts to upgrade a phone for 'upgrade' price unless you are ridiculously close to your eligible upgrade date?

I had a treo before I got my curve and have been paying verizon almost $100/month for at 2.5 years+ now. You think If i tried to get the tour now (not eligible until next august for an upgrade), theyd do it?
    Yes, it's possible as long as you meet the early upgrade requirements. The only way to find out is to call customer service and ask.
    08-30-09 07:34 PM
    I think OP has their dates backwards or something. Upgrades almost always are available before the contract ends so the whole situation doesn't make much sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 07:35 PM
    Sometimes the upgrade date will come after contract date if the customer was multifrued. I've seen some pretty crazy upgrade dates in my life.
    08-30-09 08:35 PM
    i lost a phone a while back, got a new one at full price, didn't have to resign my contract but the phone renewal was reversed, which is why the dates are not the same. my plan upgrade is less then 90 days before my phone upgrade, and i have been a loyal customer who has always paid their bill on time since 1999-2000. think that'll count for anything? :P guess i'll ask a CSR in jan/feb
    08-31-09 12:42 PM
    If you paid full price for a replacement, your upgrade date shouldn't have changed. Call them to have a look into it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 02:05 PM
    Add a line for $9.99/month and buy the Storm for around $49.99 (I think there is a special for current customers at that rate.) Remove all the extras you have on your current phone (txting, etc.) and move them to the new line.
    I believe that you can also just move the old phone to the new line and put the BB on you current number.
    You could then get a family member or good friend who doesn't have a cell to pay you say $20/month for service and time and you break even or end up with +$.
    I did this with my Dare after 3 months and got my Storm. I already had eligible line on mine (5 lines) and added two Storms and moved the Dare and and two other phones to the other lines so everyone got upgraded. Apparently VZW doesn't care on which lines the phones are on just so you have the required phone on a line. I went to a store and the rep even swapped all contacts and pics.
    Last edited by jahoobob; 08-31-09 at 03:48 PM.
    08-31-09 03:42 PM
    i just got a early upgrade 6 weeks ago, i was not due for one until next april 28th, i got a 50$ discount and 100$ rebate off so my tour cost me 150$ they said i was a vip customer , and thats what they did for me. so the whole vip thing is interesting , i will tell you this the hot sales women at the store said there was no sex in the vip lounge at the store. so all i got was a discount.
    09-02-09 12:16 AM
    Being a VZW VIP is awesome. Upgrades every year Plus I think there is a discount on accessories.
    09-02-09 06:58 AM
    how does one become a VIP
    09-02-09 02:34 PM
    how does one become a VIP
    you have to be a customer in good standing no late charges in the last 60 days and been a customer for a while just call cs and talk to them. if you become one you get a discount on new phones early upgrades , no restocking fee if you dont like your new phone, and 25 percent off of acc. and there still is no sex in the vip.
    09-03-09 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD