My wife is currently eligible to upgrade. She has a dumb phone that she's perfectly happy with but we would like to use her upgrade to get the free 8530 at Best Buy and then give the phone to a friend.

So, can we upgrade at Best Buy and then immediately cancel the data plan and switch her back to her old dumb phone. And, if we do this, will our friend be able to switch from her 8330 to the 8530 that we would be giving her?

Thanks for any help....really appreciate it.
    02-11-10 02:49 PM
    Yes but you will be locked into a 2 yr agreement with the phone you are giving away with an ETF of $350
    02-11-10 02:59 PM
    Yes but you will be locked into a 2 yr agreement with the phone you are giving away with an ETF of $350
    I imagine if they're intending to continue their phone service (as implied by their post) this would not be an issue?

Besides, they could always make the friend in question give up THEIR upgrade when the time comes. ^^

To the OP: Just keep in mind that if the friend needs a warranty replacement it will be easiest if YOU call in for it.
    02-11-10 03:38 PM
    We have no intention of leaving Verizon. We're very happy customers.

What is an ETF?
    02-11-10 03:40 PM
    Early Termination Fee. It's the cost of buying out of a contract early. For PDAs, the ETF is higher as the devices are often sold at a very deep discount.
    02-11-10 03:43 PM
    I imagine if they're intending to continue their phone service (as implied by their post) this would not be an issue?

Besides, they could always make the friend in question give up THEIR upgrade when the time comes. ^^

To the OP: Just keep in mind that if the friend needs a warranty replacement it will be easiest if YOU call in for it.
    I try to never take anything as implied. And I just wanted to throw the ETF out there.

We have no intention of leaving Verizon. We're very happy customers.

What is an ETF?
    Glad you guys are happy!
    02-11-10 03:48 PM
    Kyle, you can do what you described, although I'm not sure you can cancel the new BB data plan "immediately" -- you'd have to check that.

Assuming you did what you described, there's one thing that may throw a wrench in your plans -- if your wife's current dumbphone falls into the category of "3G Multimedia Phones" on Verizon's website, then when she switches back to it, she'll have to add a $9.99 or $29.99 data plan to that line.

And the ETF people are talking about only applies if you completely cancel a line's service. It doesn't come into effect when you switch phones or remove features.
    02-11-10 03:49 PM
    I try to never take anything as implied.
    ...and switch her back to her old dumb phone
    That's kind of explicit

vv Good point, Polychrome.
    02-11-10 03:51 PM
    If the wife in question is up for an upgrade, it's highly unlikely the phone in question is one of the phones that requires a data plan. None of the phones in that category are older than last summer.
    02-11-10 03:51 PM
    Thanks for all the help. My wife's phone is an ancient thing that she likes and actually has a new back-up for (long story), so there is no way that she will would need any data plan or a new phone anytime soon.

I will check on the data cancelation. My understanding has always been that it's like the tethering feature that I sometimes activate and then cancel when I no longer need it.
    02-11-10 03:59 PM
    Kyle, you can do what you described, although I'm not sure you can cancel the new BB data plan "immediately" -- you'd have to check that.

Assuming you did what you described, there's one thing that may throw a wrench in your plans -- if your wife's current dumbphone falls into the category of "3G Multimedia Phones" on Verizon's website, then when she switches back to it, she'll have to add a $9.99 or $29.99 data plan to that line.

And the ETF people are talking about only applies if you completely cancel a line's service. It doesn't come into effect when you switch phones or remove features.
    Once you activate the new phone on to the account and cust accepts the T&C (you don't have to program the phone) you can turn around and add the old phone back on. BB pkg drops off and customer is not charged for any BB pkg usage.
    02-11-10 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD