Here's the deal. I was an Alltel customer since 06. Wife and I both got Curves from Alltel in Jan. of 09. I saw the Tour come out and decided to see how much it would cost for me to get one. Went to Verizon's upgrade page and lo-and-behold, I can get a Tour for $199! So I ordered one, knowing that I'd have to get a new 2 year contract. No biggie, I thought.

So, when we got the Curves in January, we signed up for a 2 yr. contract w/ Alltel. So now I'm worried. If I activate my Tour tomorrow, will my contract simply renew as a new 2 yr. term effective til 7/18/2011? Or will they tack two more years onto my existing contract, thus locking me into the Tour for four years!?

I stopped by the Verizon store today but the rep was clueless. He said he wouldn't know until I did the upgrade and it put a note in the system with my new contract expiration date. I was like, yeah, at that point, I'll know what the new date is too! Although he said I've got 30 days to cancel if it does lock me in til 2013. But he also said if I did cancel I'd have to send the Tour back via FedEx (read: couldn't drop it off at the store). So I'm worried I'd be without a phone until they got the Tour back and turned my old Curve back on!

Does anyone know how an early upgrade like this will work? I'm hoping I just get a new 2 yr. contract that runs til 2011, b/c I'm sure there's going to be a better BB coming out before 2013!
    07-17-09 08:36 PM
    Two years from date of new contract. If you renew early, it will switch you to a VZW plan.

By 2013, BlackBerrys will be so far behind, no one will want them anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 08:58 PM
    Two years from date of new contract. If you renew early, it will switch you to a VZW plan.
    thanks. that's what i thought, but i just wanted to check to make sure. i wouldn't put it past VZW to try and lock me in for four years
    07-17-09 11:51 PM
    Glad you have such confidence in VZW..

It's two years from the date of upgrade. I know we're the boogeymen of the wireless world, but we're not going to lock you for 3, 4, or 50 years.
    07-17-09 11:54 PM
    Glad you have such confidence in VZW..

It's two years from the date of upgrade. I know we're the boogeymen of the wireless world, but we're not going to lock you for 3, 4, or 50 years.
    Really. Verizon is not a Canadian or European carrier with contracts over two years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 12:21 AM
    For any type of 2-year upgrade, contract resets to 2 years from date of purchase, no matter what your contract is currently at.

Upgrade date is typically 4 months before then. If you qualify for an early upgrade due to your price plan, you can upgrade once a year at 2 year price, but you will not get a New Every Two price. However, if you're like some of us (in other words, a nerd), yearly upgrades probably aren't two bad of a deal.
    07-18-09 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD