1. Astraw83's Avatar
    Had a quick question for anyone out there. I signed a contract in Jan of this year for the Storm. Honestly have not been too happy with it even after all of the tweaking I've done, (running .230, have done the torx fix, etc.) I was wondering if it would be possible for me to upgrade in Jan of '10 if I offered to pay full retail for the phone. The phone I'm interested in is the Droid and I would keep everything about my plan the same, (except, of course, switching the data plans from BB to regular). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    10-22-09 01:37 AM
  2. Astraw83's Avatar
    My main concern for the device is the screen. Everyone I know has had to return theirs because of the screen and I am afraid that my luck will run out. Have mine lock up a few times, but I was able to fix it by adjusting the torx screws.
    10-22-09 01:43 AM
  3. andrewu750's Avatar
    Yea as long as you pay full retail price for the new phone you can upgrade at anytime

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 01:48 AM
  4. Astraw83's Avatar
    Thank you sir. And to clarify, full retail = the price of the phone if it wasn't on contract correct? Hopefully the Droid won't be too high. Thanks again.
    10-22-09 01:55 AM
  5. R.O.C.'s Avatar
    If you pay full retail for the phone... You don't need to wait until January...

    If you're willing to pay full retail you can buy it whenever you want....
    10-22-09 02:02 AM
  6. Astraw83's Avatar
    So if I wait till Jan even though I'm not a VIP I could upgrade at contract price? Another idea I had would be to terminate my contract and pay the fee of $175 I believe, then turn around and sign a new contract for 2 years with the contracted price of the phone. Assuming the contracted price would be around $200/$250, and the non-contracted price around $600-700, I would be saving roughly $250-300 wouldn't I? Unless this is not possible.
    10-22-09 02:25 AM
  7. R.O.C.'s Avatar
    If you wait until January, the ability to get an early upgrade might be available, but don't count on whoever helping you to proactively offer it... Or even let you do it if you bring it up...

    As for canceling the account, then signing another contract.... I'm not entirely sure... To a degree it sounds like fraud.... So I'm not sure if Verizon will let you sign up again right after canceling... But I'm not entirely sure here...

    But if you were to choose the latter, you would lose your phone number....
    10-22-09 02:33 AM
  8. Astraw83's Avatar
    Ok sounds good, I'll be patient. Hopefully the fact that i just referred my parents to Verizon from ATT might give me a little edge. Really like the specs on that Droid.
    10-22-09 02:37 AM
  9. Astraw83's Avatar
    And thanks again.
    10-22-09 02:37 AM
  10. bluerskyes's Avatar
    If you cancel and then come back within a certain time frame, you keep the original upgrade date. That's what a VZW rep told me

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 08:04 AM
  11. ekyle125's Avatar
    If you're a VIP then you get an annual upgrade at contract price. If not you can upgrade your device whenever you want by purchasing the device at full retail. The Droid will probably be pricey. Wasn't the Storm 1 about $500ish full retail awhile ago?
    10-22-09 08:25 AM
  12. bluerskyes's Avatar
    Its still that price at full retail. Full retail rarely goes down.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 08:27 AM