I just called VZW customer service about upgrade question for a line that is eligible.
    She told me that I have another line eligible for a smartphone upgrade (it currently has a BB tour) which really isn't due until 4/11 if I look online to check the date.
    Is this something special going on? Why doesn't it show online?
    thanks for any input.
    08-10-10 09:34 AM
    It's a special Early Upgrade promo that is not available online. Store or CS only.
    08-10-10 12:21 PM
    It's a special Early Upgrade promo that is not available online. Store or CS only.
    I'm not sure if there's one going on now or not -- but even so most people aren't aware that the upgrade eligibility date and the NE2 ("New Every 2", which is on top of any discounts already applied) date are not one and the same. Generally, when they have one of their early upgrade deals, you'll be able to get a new device at the 2 year contract price (assuming, of course, that you're willing to renew your contract), but you will NOT be able to add an NE2 discount onto that. Some people claim to have had some luck getting a NE2 discount early, but I am not one of those people.

Both my Storm 1 and Storm 2 I bought during an "early upgrade" promotion. It's a huge savings off the retail price, but you don't get the additional NE2 discount, plus the NE2 countdown resets back to zero when you do it...and you have to renew the contract.
    08-10-10 12:30 PM
    Well the purpose for an Early Upgrade is to allow the upgrade before you are eligible for the Standard or NE2 Upgrade; therefore those discounts would not be applied. And yes the contract would be extended and the NE2 reset as you just purchased a new phone. All these things are discussed and agreed upon when upgrading and activating the phone.
    08-10-10 12:37 PM
    Well the purpose for an Early Upgrade is to allow the upgrade before you are eligible for the Standard or NE2 Upgrade; therefore those discounts would not be applied. And yes the contract would be extended and the NE2 reset as you just purchased a new phone. All these things are discussed and agreed upon when upgrading and activating the phone.
    Yeah, wasn't trying to suggest you didn't know that supermario, just clarifying for the OP. I think lot of folks think that they can't upgrade at all until that NE2 count-down timer hits zero on their Verizon account page; while I've managed to upgrade early many times simply by calling them and asking (and being willing to renew my contract). It seems the best time to do it is about 2 to 3 weeks after a new highly marketed device comes out (i.e. Droid X).
    08-10-10 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD