So my sister has an upgrade available. She doesn't want to upgrade yet. I'd like to pay her for the phone and a few months of data for the blackberry storm 9550 and in a few months have her report the storm lost, and reactivate her old phone. Than I'd like to unlock the storm and use it on my att blackberry plan to replace my bold 9000. Would this be possible?

And I heard verizon requires a certain plan for their smartphones. I don't know which plan she is on now but I'm pretty sure its a cheap plan. If she upgrades to the storm would she have to upgrade her voiceplan? Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 07:52 PM
    FIrst off this is fraud to report a phone stolen. Hope you get with your questions.
    02-04-10 07:57 PM
    Not stolen... Lost..

02-04-10 08:15 PM
    Same difference. Still fraud.

02-04-10 08:27 PM
    So she can't say she lost the phone and cancel the blackberry data plan and reactivate her old phone?

02-04-10 08:43 PM
    Not stolen... Lost..

I stand corrected, either way not good.
    02-04-10 08:44 PM
    Why say you lost it? You pay for the phone, it's yours. If you wanna activate another phone then you can. No need to lie, VZW doesn't care what you do with it. You've already paid for it and signed a contract.

02-04-10 08:46 PM
    So she can't say she lost the phone and cancel the blackberry data plan and reactivate her old phone?

All she has to do is reactivate her old phone, if this device does not require a data plan, then it will drop off the service. Once the phone if deactivated, she can do as she wishes with it, no need to report lost . Data is not part part of your price plan and is a bolt on feature.
    02-04-10 08:47 PM
    Yeah exactly...if don't need to commit fraud by lying. Just remove the device and you can use it. If you are using her upgrade it must be activated on her line...even for just a minute. It can than be removed and her old device van be reactivated. But that changes her co tract and she won't have an upgrade for another two years.

02-04-10 09:57 PM
    If you want to unlock it...usually you have to have it for eight to ten month the with good account status and Verizon will give you an unlock code. They gave me one for my Storm2. But again you will be taking her upgrade for the next two years. Just buy one online like ebay. You can get one for 250.

02-04-10 10:00 PM
    sides if she reports it lost, it will hotlist the phone and you wont be able to activate it.
    doh! didnt think of that did you?
    02-04-10 11:08 PM
    yep, a blacklisted phone is never a good deal...since you'll never be able to reactivate it again. Well I lied, you can...they would contact the original owner of the phone (your sister), and say, "did you find your phone..." She'll respond with "yes" and they will remove the block and than require her to either pay full retail for the phone that they sent her (assurion will) or require her to send that phone back.

You're best bet is to do the following: Have her buy it and activate it on her account. Take it home and remove it from her account (from myVerizon) and than unlock it with a code you buy since I highly doubt Verizon will give you a code since she JUST bought the BB. Than you stick in your SIM and you're good to go. A lot of work for a phone that won't run 3G on AT&T.
    02-05-10 10:31 AM
    sides if she reports it lost, it will hotlist the phone and you wont be able to activate it.
    doh! didnt think of that did you?
    Just though of something, it wouldn't matter if the phone is hotlisted (unless they blacklist the BB PIN as well). Because he isn't using it on Verizon's network, the OP wants to unlock it for AT&T.

Still insurance fraud though...
    02-05-10 10:32 AM
    Get the phone.
    Activate on her account.
    Have her call "Global Services" to unlock the phone.
    Re-activate her old phone.
    Pay her. She give you the phone.
    No fraud and you have an unlocked phone.

Sheesh.
    02-05-10 01:37 PM
    Wouldn't the sister have to continue the BB data plan on her account for 2 years? After all that is the contract she signed up for.
    02-05-10 10:56 PM
    Nope

02-05-10 11:20 PM
    Your contract is for the service not a specific plan

02-06-10 11:29 AM
    Your contract is for the service not a specific plan

Makes sense, otherwise you wouldn't be able to modify your plan in the middle of a contract term.
    02-06-10 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD