Both my wife and I are current verizon customers and are on the same family plan. We started with Verizon back in May of '05 and have both been using the same phones since that time.

My question is this: I know that you are usually eligible for phone upgrades every two years, but does you upgrade eligibility keep growing if you go past the two year mark?

Since we were both technically eligible for an upgrade two years ago, and would be coming up to our second upgrade now, I am just wondering if I can go to Verizon and say that I would like the equivalent of two upgrades since I have not upgraded in the last 4 years.

If anyone can shed some light on how this works or have had experience with this in the past, I would appreciate any advice or input.

Thanks!
    06-05-09 03:12 PM
    Both my wife and I are current verizon customers and are on the same family plan. We started with Verizon back in May of '05 and have both been using the same phones since that time.

My question is this: I know that you are usually eligible for phone upgrades every two years, but does you upgrade eligibility keep growing if you go past the two year mark?

Since we were both technically eligible for an upgrade two years ago, and would be coming up to our second upgrade now, I am just wondering if I can go to Verizon and say that I would like the equivalent of two upgrades since I have not upgraded in the last 4 years.

If anyone can shed some light on how this works or have had experience with this in the past, I would appreciate any advice or input.

Thanks!
    no you can not do this... no light about it. sorry, but you keep your upgrade status it does you no good to wait
    06-05-09 03:15 PM
    One upgrade per person, sorry.
    06-05-09 03:18 PM
    Actually, depending on how much you pay per month, your NE2 credit may be lower after you use it. VZW made changes to the NE2 policy. If you are on a lower plan, the NE2 credit is only $50 instead of $100.

So, to clarify, I'm sure your NE2 credit that you haven't used for all this time is still $100. But 2 years (or 20 months) from now, your NE2 credit may only be $50 due to the policy change.
    06-05-09 08:02 PM

Thanks!
    ...........no you can't do that.
    06-05-09 11:17 PM
    Just as everyone has stated, your upgrade doesnt grow over time. The one thing you do have going for you is, that since you havent upgraded your phones in 4 years, you currently have no contract with Verizon. You can leave and go to another carrier at any time without incurring an early termination fee. You can bring this up when/if you speak to a representative about getting new devices and it may influence them to give you a greater discount, but technically they dont have to do that.
    Shop around and get what you want, you owe it to yourself and your wife.
    06-06-09 01:53 AM
    Just as everyone has stated, your upgrade doesnt grow over time. The one thing you do have going for you is, that since you havent upgraded your phones in 4 years, you currently have no contract with Verizon. You can leave and go to another carrier at any time without incurring an early termination fee. You can bring this up when/if you speak to a representative about getting new devices and it may influence them to give you a greater discount, but technically they dont have to do that.
    Shop around and get what you want, you owe it to yourself and your wife.
    Eeh... threatening to cancel just to get a bigger discount when you actually have no intention to cancel isn't really a good thing to do. With a $100 NE2 and all the BOGOs going on right now anyways, you'll be able to get a lot of phones free after rebate anyways.

Definitely do the research first. Figure out exactly what you and your wife really want in your phone, beyond a glimmer of a doubt, so you don't have to return the devices. Then once you've picked out exactly what you want, go into your local store and just tell the rep what you want and ask about what deals they have going on right now with those two phones involving your NE2 credit. A good sales rep will do what they can to get you into those phones as cheaply as possible.

Besides, the less money you spend on your phone, the more money you have to buy the essentials for your phones, such as memory cards, car chargers, cases, screen protectors, bluetooth headsets... (which can ALSO be put into bundles to get you an even BIGGER discount).

By the way, if you are looking at a Blackberry, I heavily suggest the following:
    1. Car charger. These phones use a lot of data and power, so it's important to keep them charged.
    2. Memory card, unless you're getting the Storm. Don't keep pictures, videos, ringtones, documents, etc. on your phone's memory.
    3. Screen protectors and case. To keep your phone pretty and protect it from the elements.
    06-07-09 11:22 AM
    Eeh... threatening to cancel just to get a bigger discount when you actually have no intention to cancel isn't really a good thing to do. With a $100 NE2 and all the BOGOs going on right now anyways, you'll be able to get a lot of phones free after rebate anyways.
    I never said to "threaten" to cancel his service, just make sure that whoever he speaks to knows that he is fully aware of his options and is willing to explore them.
    Last edited by cenloe; 06-07-09 at 04:04 PM.
    06-07-09 04:02 PM
    I never said to "threaten" to cancel his service, just make sure that whoever he speaks to knows that he is fully aware of his options and is willing to explore them.
    True true... Misread. But honestly, reps will do more for a customer who is aware of their capability to switch but won't. Loyalty offers, so to speak, rather than a save tool.
    06-08-09 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD