Is there some kind of FAQ explaining what the upgrade options are on a VZ multi line plan? My GF and I are on a plan and she's the primary line. We've logged in and her phone shows an upgrade option next April, but mine shows none.

I talked to someone at VZ and they told me she was eligible after 1 year (which would be a month from now, not next April) and I would be after 2 years, but that's not what the website shows. We set up this account originally with a BOGO deal on the Storm 1.

Another VZ rep told me that only the primary line got a free upgrade and the secondary line owner had to pay full retail or we'd have to do another BOGO.

Can someone explain to me, or point me to a page at VZ, in simple terms a professional IT person can understand just what the upgrade plan is?
    06-04-10 10:36 PM
    My understanding is on a family plan only the primary line is able to get the NE2 discounts. All other lines could upgrade at 2 years and pay the 2 year activation price.
    06-04-10 10:40 PM
    Primary lines are eligible to upgrade their device every year. You need to sign a new 2 year contract, but you get the savings on the device.

The secondary line gets an upgrade every 2 years, with the savings.

You could do the BOGO, if you were both able to upgrade your line, but not if only one of them are able to upgrade.

I don't know of a site that shows this, but I am rather familiar with Verizon and their system, been a customer for nearly 10 years @ this point.
    06-04-10 10:41 PM
    My understanding is on a family plan only the primary line is able to get the NE2 discounts. All other lines could upgrade at 2 years and pay the 2 year activation price.
    this person said it right. I have a family share plan as well. The primary line could take advantage of the annual upgrade. After one year, primary line is eligible to upgrade at the current promotion discount. Secondary line can upgrade only have 20 months or 24 months.
    06-04-10 11:20 PM
    Primary lines are eligible to upgrade their device every year. You need to sign a new 2 year contract, but you get the savings on the device.

The secondary line gets an upgrade every 2 years, with the savings.

You could do the BOGO, if you were both able to upgrade your line, but not if only one of them are able to upgrade.

I don't know of a site that shows this, but I am rather familiar with Verizon and their system, been a customer for nearly 10 years @ this point.

So if I understand you correctly, at one year we can sign a new 2 year agreement and get a new phone for her (meaning it's now 3 years before expiration), then at 2 years I can upgrade my phone. But will we have to sign another 2 year extension, which will extend the expiration date out to 4 years?
    06-04-10 11:34 PM
    this person said it right. I have a family share plan as well. The primary line could take advantage of the annual upgrade. After one year, primary line is eligible to upgrade at the current promotion discount. Secondary line can upgrade only have 20 months or 24 months.
    But do we have to extend the contract 2 more years every time we upgrade? This would add 2 years to the contract every 12 months which seems rather absurd to me.

And since she was an existing VZ customer I bet it's showing her upgrade date, not when we did the BOGO and added me in, but when it would have normally been for her individual account.
    06-04-10 11:35 PM
    So if I understand you correctly, at one year we can sign a new 2 year agreement and get a new phone for her (meaning it's now 3 years before expiration), then at 2 years I can upgrade my phone. But will we have to sign another 2 year extension, which will extend the expiration date out to 4 years?
    For her, you can upgrade @ 1 year. This will push her contract end date out another 2 years. The primary line can upgrade every year. So if you are 1 year into contract, she can upgrade (no new every two discount, just the sticker price for new activation) and sign a new contract, so it would be 2 years from that date, or 3 years from the original date.

For your line, it can be done once every two years and you sign a new contract.

Side note - have you tried calling Verizon, explaining to them you both wish to upgrade, and see if they will do a courtesy upgrade on your line? They know they will lock you into the new contract, with the new ETF, and you will be happy customers for the next 2 years, so they may be willing to work with you on it. They have been known to do it ONCE within a contract.
    06-04-10 11:42 PM
    For her, you can upgrade @ 1 year. This will push her contract end date out another 2 years. The primary line can upgrade every year. So if you are 1 year into contract, she can upgrade (no new every two discount, just the sticker price for new activation) and sign a new contract, so it would be 2 years from that date, or 3 years from the original date.

For your line, it can be done once every two years and you sign a new contract.

Side note - have you tried calling Verizon, explaining to them you both wish to upgrade, and see if they will do a courtesy upgrade on your line? They know they will lock you into the new contract, with the new ETF, and you will be happy customers for the next 2 years, so they may be willing to work with you on it. They have been known to do it ONCE within a contract.
    I guess I'm just failing to understand this "her contract" and "my contract" stuff, it's only one contract in her name that we both pay 1/2 each on. How can it have 2 different expiration dates with only one signatory?

What happens if I decide to bail after two years and she's still got a year left?

And what does "sticker activation cost" mean? Is this the retail cost of the phone or just the activation fee? The former sounds like we should be able to do it anytime, the latter sounds like a free phone. I'm guessing neither are right.

Speak to me as if I have no clue what the terms mean, because I don't.

No, I haven't asked for a courtesy upgrade nor do I want one. I don't like asking for favors, I'd rather just pay for what I want, but it's hard to do when I can't wrap my head around how it works and what the costs and ramifications are.

Sorry to be so dense and I don't mean to sound like an ***, I guess I'm just annoyed that I can't seem to get it.
    Last edited by 3rdpig; 06-05-10 at 12:43 AM.
    06-05-10 12:32 AM
    You have one account with 2 lines (or phones). Each line has its own contract.
    So of you had 10 phones you would have 10 contracts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 01:04 AM
    You have one account with 2 lines (or phones). Each line has its own contract.
    So of you had 10 phones you would have 10 contracts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Thanks, I get that part now.

So line 2 has an NE2, or the equivalent to it, and line 1 can do it every year, and both require a 2 year extension?

I think I got it now.
    Last edited by 3rdpig; 06-05-10 at 01:26 AM.
    06-05-10 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD