I have a grandmother who's on Verizon with a dumb phone who's eligible for an upgrade. Would she be able to use her upgrade and extend her contract for a droid. But not activate it to her line OR change her plan (I know droids need a data plan but I'm hoping that can mean just for the line they are put on and not plan requirements to purchase the phone w 2year deal) and me put the phone on my line? Is this feasible? Or am I thinking TOO wishfully and Verizon not be down with that?
    TIA

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 10:34 PM
    What has to happen is the following.

1. is she nationwide pricing now? This is a must.
    2. upgrade her phone online.
    3. the device has to activated on her line with data plan.
    4. once this is done, it can be moved to your line and the data plan removed from hers. She can also activate her old device back on her number.

If she is on anything less than nationwide price plan going back to her old one is a bit of challenge, but can be done.

Also keep in mind that if the device is moved between accounts, this will void the warr with VZW, but can be had through Motorola.
    11-26-09 10:40 PM
    She would have to activate it on her line first then she could gift it to you. The warrenty will not transfer so if u need a replacement u would have to pay the fee. She also wouldn't be eligable for an upgrade untill the new contract is up. Her current phone is out of warrenty if she is eligable 4 upgrade so if she has problems she'll have to pay a replacement fee as well. once she reactivates her old phone the data plan will go away but when you activate it you will have to pay for the data plan.
    11-26-09 10:45 PM
    I have a data plan now, not sure how hers is but it could be more trouble then its worth..

11-26-09 10:54 PM
    Thanks for the quick responses and info btw

11-26-09 11:48 PM
    What kinda fee is there fixing a phone thru Motorola if vzw warranty is void?
    Is the VZW warranty goin to be void if another lines upgrade is applied to my line? Or is that able to be done with just my line?

11-26-09 11:52 PM
    If you call 611 and tell them you want to do an alternative upgrade, you can upgrade on her line and activate it on your line without having to put it on her line at all. You can get insurance and keep the warranty. I have 5 lines and do this all the time. I never active the phone on the account it was ordered under.

11-27-09 01:59 AM
    If you call 611 and tell them you want to do an alternative upgrade, you can upgrade on her line and activate it on your line without having to put it on her line at all. You can get insurance and keep the warranty. I have 5 lines and do this all the time. I never active the phone on the account it was ordered under.

The OP has not it made clear that I am aware of If the lines are on the same account, this option would work and resolve the concern. If they are not, I do not think a buddy upgrade will work.
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-27-09 at 08:32 AM.
    11-27-09 08:29 AM
    All this is possible as long as you are both on the same account. If you are on seperate accounts you can't upgrade her line and put the phone on yours.

11-27-09 08:31 AM
    Dang you type fast lastraid

11-27-09 08:33 AM
    All this is possible as long as you are both on the same account. If you are on seperate accounts you can't upgrade her line and put the phone on yours.

IT is possible if done within the bounds of my first statement about. Activate on line one then moce to where they want the phone and then react the old one. Buddy upgrades will not work between accounts
    11-27-09 08:34 AM
    Dang you type fast lastraid. You're reply wasn't there when I started typing.

11-27-09 08:34 AM
    The original post about my grandmas line is on a different account my 2nd ? N my 3Rd post was reffering to an upcoming upgrade on a line on our account. Thanks everyone

11-27-09 08:55 AM
    Then if the two lines are on the same account, then the buddy upgrade will work.
    11-27-09 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD