Hello all,

I'm sure the usual folks will flame me or say this is illegal, but I'd like to know if this is possible.

My parents and I are on separate accounts and no desire to get linked up. They have a family share plan with 2 lines, have dumb phones and have no need or desire to get BBs. I have a single line, BB plan with an 8330 and would like the Tour, but am not eligible for upgrade until next year. Dad has been eligible for NE2 for quite some time now an is also a "VIP," but is happy with his current phone. I've seen in other threads that people will add a line, get promo pricing for a BB, then switch the ESNs so they can use the new BB on their primary line and just put a dumb phone on the secondary line. Can this be done with my scenario? Can I upgrade Dad's account to the Tour, then go online, switch his back to a dumb phone and put the Tour on my account? The way I look at it, Verizon gets him locked into a new contract and I get a new phone. Win- Win.
    10-06-09 08:03 AM
    It is a simple thing to do - but Dad would have to order his upgraded phone, then give it to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 08:10 AM
    No flames needed lol
    This doesnt sound like the(can i do this without being caught)
    People do this all the time and like stated above by twins your dad would have to order it... Which would also throw him into another 2 year contract FYI
    10-06-09 08:17 AM
    Thanks for the info guys.
    So just to make sure I have everything right. Dad orders the Tour, receives it, goes online and switches the ESN and calling plan back to his dumb phone and plan and then I am free to put the Tour on my plan? Is it really that simple or am I missing something?
    10-06-09 08:33 AM
    Thats pretty much it. You may end up calling 611 because of the difference in features(bb needs data plan) and sometimes you have to call in to get everything set up correctly but yeah its pretty simple.
    10-06-09 08:35 AM
    Thanks for all the info and help!!
    10-06-09 08:44 AM
    For the record, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought about coming in here to flame - I mean NO ONE is allowed to even THINK about upgrading MY account!
    10-06-09 08:52 AM
    For the record, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought about coming in here to flame - I mean NO ONE is allowed to even THINK about upgrading MY account!
    At this point, Dad will let me do whatever I want if it means the mail and phone calls from Verizon telling him he's due for an upgrade will stop for a while.
    Last edited by PHLJJS; 10-06-09 at 09:12 AM.
    10-06-09 09:03 AM
    I did this with my Mom's account. The only problem I've encountered is that VZW considers the phone out-of-warranty like you bought it off ebay or something. If the device works fine then you're good to go! If not, then you might have to pay the $50 out of warranty replacement fee but that still might be a better deal than anything else out there. Again, that's only if something goes wrong with the device.

Good luck!
    10-06-09 02:08 PM
    Yep that's the only real catch.. No warranty coverage and no insurance allowed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD