I am eligble for an upgrade on may 21st but I want to switch to T-Mobile to get the 8900. Can I cancel my contract that day without paying the Early Termination Fee? Or do i have to wait until my contract expires to do so?
    05-17-09 01:06 PM
    You have to wait till your contract expires. Otherwise you'd be charged for the remaining months on your contract. Im sure you can get a deal from tmobile to cover that cancellation part, just tell them you want to switch to tmobile but are still under contract with verizon. Then ask them if they can give you some sort of deal so you can leave since you still have to pay a cancellation fee maybe they can do something for you i know they were able to give me a while back a pearl out of contract with contract price. Maybe they can give you a discount on the phone.
    05-17-09 01:11 PM
    I think you could cancel it that day, but I would check with Verizon to be sure. Or you could just wait until the 22nd and know it won't be a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 01:12 PM
    The only probably is, I'd be joining a family plan so I don't think they'd do it. Ugh. I guess I'll just get the 8330 :/
    05-17-09 01:13 PM
    Well do this, email Verizon ask them how much you would owe if you cancelled your lines that day, i know verizon is the only carrier that will lower your cancellation fee the longer your with them. So you might end up not owing that much. Still worth it really that 8900 looks alot better than the 8300. Id look into it. Even if you switch to a family plan ask they might give you a deal on your phone over the others. I know when i switched to verizon, i got a deal on my Voyager, got it for 50 bucks and got a glyde for 50 since i was switching from ATT to Verizon. I cancelled my contract but i saved on the phones 100 on the voyager and about 150 on the glyde.
    05-17-09 01:17 PM
    What you can try is telling Verizon that the person using the phone is no longer physically able to use it. Its kinda like saying they are deceased but not really. When someone dies they waive the etf, so if you can word it like you are deceased without saying you are you might have a chance at getting the etf fees waived. Just dont say they are deceased or it could affect your credit. Call in pretending to be someone else talking on your behalf, if your convincing enough it could work, I know someone that did it before.
    05-17-09 01:40 PM
    What you can try is telling Verizon that the person using the phone is no longer physically able to use it. Its kinda like saying they are deceased but not really. When someone dies they waive the etf, so if you can word it like you are deceased without saying you are you might have a chance at getting the etf fees waived. Just dont say they are deceased or it could affect your credit. Call in pretending to be someone else talking on your behalf, if your convincing enough it could work, I know someone that did it before.
    lol...seriously? Practically faking your own death to get out of a contract? No thanks.
    05-17-09 01:43 PM
    Dude why fake your own death? I mean seriously if you want out pay the fee it wont be the full 175 with verizon. Just email verizon ask them how much you would owe if you terminated it early. Or just wait if your on a one year plan you have two months to go, if your on a two year you have four to go. Wait it out or pay it.
    05-17-09 01:49 PM
    Ooops ignore my previous response, I misread and thought you meant your contract ended on the 21st.

05-17-09 02:12 PM
    lol...seriously? Practically faking your own death to get out of a contract? No thanks.
    You dont tell them your dead, you could have had a heart attack, or many other options why you would be unable to speak. Thats why you say you are unable to make calls anymore, not you are dead. If your not able to use the phone anymore they may let you out of the ETF
    05-17-09 02:41 PM
    If your upgrade date is May 21, your contract should expire on Sept 21. Your ETF should be quite low at this point.

It always makes me laugh at the goofy ideas people post on here! Pretend you are too sick to use your phone ?? that's a good one! Some people don't want to handle business like adults.
    05-17-09 11:11 PM
    If your upgrade date is May 21, your contract should expire on Sept 21. Your ETF should be quite low at this point.

It always makes me laugh at the goofy ideas people post on here! Pretend you are too sick to use your phone ?? that's a good one! Some people don't want to handle business like adults.
    exactly. On both points. He should pay around 70 for his line if not less if he cancells now.
    05-17-09 11:24 PM
    contracts are 24 months, VZW upgrade date is after 20 months. so if you're eligible to upgrade next weds for example, you're not out of contract yet. but call to clarify.
    05-18-09 02:39 AM
    I have a family plan with my father. I have the primary line and he has the secondary one. His line is up for an upgrade, I have heard that i can take the upgrade for the primary line but what is involved? I don't want to switch numbers and the other phone is in Arkansas. Anyone help me with this? Thanks.
    05-18-09 11:23 PM
    I have a family plan with my father. I have the primary line and he has the secondary one. His line is up for an upgrade, I have heard that i can take the upgrade for the primary line but what is involved? I don't want to switch numbers and the other phone is in Arkansas. Anyone help me with this? Thanks.
    let them know that you wanna use the upgrade and put the equipment on a different line. they'll extend the contract on the line that is eligible for upgrade, then activate the new phone on whatever line you wan't. you don't have to change phone numbers, and you don't need his phone for anything...
    05-18-09 11:25 PM
    Mind you, that the upgrade eligibility date is not always four months before the contract end date. Manager's exceptions and 1 year contract pricing for a replacement device can alter your upgrade eligibility date w/o changing the contract end date.

05-18-09 11:57 PM
    Mind you, that the upgrade eligibility date is not always four months before the contract end date. Manager's exceptions and 1 year contract pricing for a replacement device can alter your upgrade eligibility date w/o changing the contract end date.

agreed. good point. but you'd still be eligible to upgrade before the contract expired again, wouldn't you?

if you were 8 months in on a 24 month contract, and got an upgrade exception for a 1 year contract, you're eligible to upgrade 10 months after that, 2 months before the 1 year date, but you're contract doesn't extend because it's still longer than the time of the extension.

EDIT: and if you were past the 12 month point of your 24 month contract, it's business as usual, it extends the contract and you're upgrade is 10 months from then, so you're still 4 months before the contract end date. aren't you? you are right, i'm just trying to come up with a scenario where your contract could be up before you're eligible to upgrade again. outside of exceptions and manager adjustment of contract date as a negotiation tool, etc.
    05-19-09 12:59 AM
    I just love it when people suggest fraud. - NOT!

05-19-09 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD