Greetings Everyone,

I am currently a Verizon subscriber. The main thing I like about Verizon is the coverage. I originally had Sprint which was horrible and switched to Verizon around 2002 and have been extremely happy. I currently have a Motrola Maxx VE which I hate. My contract is almost up and had been planning to switch to AT&T and get a Bold once they are released. My only hesitation is that Verizon has such good reception for me. My thought is to get a Curve with a year contract (that way they can work out any bugs in the Bold) or perhaps wait for the Storm. Anyway I have a few questions:

~Have you been happy with your Curve? Would you recommend getting a Curve and staying with Verizon?

~I understand that Backup Assistant does not work on the Curve. I don't use Outlook for my personal email. If I put all my contacts from my current phone in my Gmail Contacts could I pull those into my BB.

~Does the Curve support Ringtones from the Verzion Get it Now?

Thanks so much for reading this. I'm really excited to get a Blackberry, whichever one it ends up being!
    09-15-08 02:06 PM
    1. Curve is an awsome device.

2. Yes you will need google sync

3. no way to tap get now ring tones on a BB, but there are a zillion free one all over the place or you can make your own.
    09-15-08 05:21 PM
    Like you said up there...you love VZW for their coverage, with purchase of Alltell you know its only getting better, what good is a phone with poor service?

Secondly, ever since I got my Curve, I've switched 4 people over to owning one and I'll be honest, I'm going to be a LONG time Blackberry user after having the Curve! This is hands down my favorite phone I've ever had!

Lastly, like he stated up there, you won't have access to GIN. So just use all the free ringtone websites...including crackberry

Ah, and as for the syncing of contacts. Backup Assistant is useless for a BBerry. I never thought of google sync, but I just manually put in my contacts over the course of 4 days on breaks and lunches at work...300 plus, is a lot more than I thought hahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 10:59 PM
    I'm also w Verizon and until recently, I was waiting to jump ship for the Bold. I am at least going to wait for the release of the Storm now so I can make an educated descision on which way to go. I strongly urge you to do the same so you won't later regret jumping B4 you see the Storm. Good luck.
    09-16-08 10:52 AM
    The Storm is coming out this next quarter for VZW, the Bold will be out for Verizon in May...if you can't keep your toys in your pants til then, all I can say is enjoy the network...and we'll compare in May haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 04:09 PM
    Google sync only does calendar. It does work very well, both ways OTA.

For contacts the only thing out is the beta conjola (look in 3rd party software forum) but it looks close to being done.
    09-16-08 07:49 PM
    I have a bold, I had two curves, broke one and went out immediately and bought a replacement. Still in a bit of a dilemma of switching to the Bold.
    09-16-08 07:56 PM
    I have a bold, I had two curves, broke one and went out immediately and bought a replacement. Still in a bit of a dilemma of switching to the Bold.
    WHat concerns are you having? Inquiring minds want to know.
    09-16-08 08:06 PM
    Any Verizon Wireless store can transfer your contacts from you Razr Maxx to your Blackberry, we have a machine that does it so you don't have to worry about that part.
    09-17-08 12:52 AM
    Ya, no problem to transfer your contact list from your old voice phone to the Curve at a corporate Verizon shop. Takes about 10 minutes for 300 contacts once they plug it in.

It actually helped me be more organized since half my contacts were on my voice phone and the other half were in Outlook. The Verizon shop did the transfer, then Desktop Manager put them into Outlook.

I spent some time with Outlook to consolidate everything and delete duplicates, then synced again and everything's been super duper ever since. In fact I had a hard drive failure on my business computer and I just re-synched the rebuilt system to my Curve to get all my contacts back!

The fact that you don't use Outlook though is OK though, since everyone's digits will transfer from the Razr to the Curve, no problem. That said, for future reference, Desktop Manager and Outlook work very well together so you might consider buying Office since it does a lot more than just manage your contacts. I use a dated copy of Office XP (Outlook 2002) and it works great and was very inexpensive.

BTW, I wouldn't hold your breath for a Verizon version of Bold. Curves are cheap and they work. When they do have the Bold the transition should be even easier. And if if the Storm is the bomb you won't even want a Bold anyway, but that remains to be seen.

And FWIW, I don't use Google Sync or even Gmail for real work, I don't want that much critical info on their system because I simply don't trust their security. You can go with BES via a third-party service, which is very secure, but I don't, since I have my own web site with a secure FTP space for important file backup, and a very good email system that also includes a webmail server if my Curve and/or computer goes down. But that's just me. I only use Gmail/Google for communications I don't need any real security for.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 09-17-08 at 03:12 AM.
    09-17-08 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD