5 16.67%
  • Droid/wait for apple phone/other

8 26.67%
  • Wait for new blackberry

4 13.33%
03-07-10 03:51 AM
26 12
tools
    I get an upgrade in April, Ive had a curve for a while, should I go for a Tour2/Bold, Storm 2, or wait for the NEW slider storm or whatever the **** is coming out nexT?
    03-03-10 01:42 AM
    Tour2, it'll be a solid phone. Second choice would be the Nexus One or the new Devour. The Droid is a great phone, but it is 3 months old now -- will be 6 in April - and newer stuff is coming :-)
    03-03-10 07:02 AM
    Tour2/Bold is the phone to get when it comes out...

that blackberry slider is a joke, just like the blackberry pearl Flip was...
    03-03-10 08:22 AM
    Tour 2 if you want reliability (well, most of the time). Your preference of Android phones if you want something more flashy and don't mind taking a gamble on how well it'll work.
    03-03-10 08:50 AM
    Nexus One or Incredible. Android has some cool new phones (supposedly) coming to VZW this spring/summer.
    03-03-10 09:32 AM
    Tour 2 if you want reliability (well, most of the time). Your preference of Android phones if you want something more flashy and don't mind taking a gamble on how well it'll work.
    Reliability with a BB? Umm my Eris is way more reliable than most BB's out. The force closes that I get from time to time are way more convenient than a battery pull. I get service in most all areas even some where my Storm 2 was questionable. Not to mention most apps for the Android platform are free! Only one up I will give to the BB is the global capabillity. OS is lacking... paying for apps that are free on other platforms is hillarious... and what really has BB come out with that you just have to have...a track pad... 3.2mp camera?

As far as gambling on how well it'll work... that's one of the funniest things I have heard in awhile. Right up there with "is the $29.99 data plan really unlimited?"

To the OP I voted for the next Android device coming out! If there was a second choice available it would be the Tour 2/Bold/Whatever the **** they want to call it.
    03-03-10 11:45 AM
    Hmm. Is there any news on the next storm or BB coming out at all?
    03-03-10 12:52 PM
    Hmm. Is there any news on the next storm or BB coming out at all?
    The nest one we are expecting is the Tour2/CDMA Bold which should be here in around a month or so.
    03-04-10 01:46 AM
    As far I know and read, the Slider/Mr. T/ whatever is going to solely be a GSM phone directed to AT&T and Rogers.

I have the 8530 and absolutely love it. I am looking forward, however, to the Tour2/Bold that is supposed to be released soon... now, who knows HOW soon, but whatev.
    03-04-10 02:44 AM
    Reliability with a BB? Umm my Eris is way more reliable than most BB's out. The force closes that I get from time to time are way more convenient than a battery pull. I get service in most all areas even some where my Storm 2 was questionable. Not to mention most apps for the Android platform are free! Only one up I will give to the BB is the global capabillity. OS is lacking... paying for apps that are free on other platforms is hillarious... and what really has BB come out with that you just have to have...a track pad... 3.2mp camera?

As far as gambling on how well it'll work... that's one of the funniest things I have heard in awhile. Right up there with "is the $29.99 data plan really unlimited?"

To the OP I voted for the next Android device coming out! If there was a second choice available it would be the Tour 2/Bold/Whatever the **** they want to call it.
    I am returning my eris because it just isn't as smooth as the tour for me. The touch screen keyboard for the eris is laughable.... the apples keyboard is leaps ahead of it still. Android still needs a lot of work but it has great potential. I haven't tried the droid though but from my eris experience... i just got to say, you get what you pay for.
    03-04-10 02:45 AM
    As far I know and read, the Slider/Mr. T/ whatever is going to solely be a GSM phone directed to AT&T and Rogers. .
    FLASHBACK: One year ago word leaked of a Storm with WiFi which was destined for Rogers in Canada and all of the Storm users screamed bloody murder . . . but low and behold 8 months later the device came out in both CDMA and GSM variants.

The moral of the Story? Just because the prototype is GSM does not mean there wont be a CDMA variation on it.... food for thought all....
    03-04-10 03:42 AM
    I voted for the Tour2, but it really just depends on what you really want. If you like touch screen I would say check out the S2, Droid or wait for the summer and see if VZW gets the iPhone.
    03-04-10 07:55 AM
    I voted for the tour2/essex...or wtf() they decide to call it when it is released
    03-04-10 08:22 AM
    I am returning my eris because it just isn't as smooth as the tour for me. The touch screen keyboard for the eris is laughable.... the apples keyboard is leaps ahead of it still. Android still needs a lot of work but it has great potential. I haven't tried the droid though but from my eris experience... i just got to say, you get what you pay for.
    Please explain smooth? I hope you aren't talking about processing speeds and it running smoother. Then again I hope you aren't talking about looks smooth either. Those nice round icons on the Tour really make me go "OOOOOOOoooooh."

As far as the keyboard I will say that I prefer SurePress over the Eris. However, the Eris isn't laughable. The ability to predict text on the Android platform is phenominal. I can actually use the Eris' keyboard in portrait. On my Storm 1 and 2 I had to use it in landscape.

And as Android needing work? The BB OS needs work. Considering Android has been out for what... around a 3 years total but released as open source since oct 08 vs BB OS that has been around awhile something to the tune of about 10 years and is closed. Let's chalk this one up for the boys @ Google! Open Source will rule the cell phone industry in the next few years. Google is once again ahead of the game.
    03-04-10 08:36 AM
    I would wait a few more months after your ne2 (I assume thats the upgrade you are speaking of) and pay a bit more for a 1 year contract. That way you can upgrade every 10 months if you want for the latest and greatest.

With the way new devices are being developed, any device you get will be out of date within 12 months any way.

I actually have two lines on my plan now that I am alternating, so I could, if I wanted to, get a new device every 5 months or so, but thats going a bit crazy.

Just keeping my options open.

BTW -- Pick the newest Android device thats out when you can upgrade. Just my $0.02
    Last edited by p08757; 03-04-10 at 09:07 AM.
    03-04-10 09:02 AM
    New Verizon Bold. - This summer upgrade for me
    03-04-10 09:04 AM
    Thats odd, this is a BB forum, and the Droid/other option, is always outweighing the Tour2 option.
    03-04-10 10:50 AM
    It's a bb dominated forum. However, there are other areas of the forum dedicated to other platforms.

Some here started with bb's and have since moved on. Or others like knowing about what's new and other areas of the cell industry.
    03-04-10 11:12 AM
    I also can upgrade in April. I love my 8330 but dont like the small screen. My eyes are not what they used to be. Looking at the Touch Pro 2 but its aweful slow. Someone said after the 6.5 upgrade its a lot faster. Would love to stay with a BB but need a much bigger screen and a real key board. I got a month. Thats a long time for call phones. Just have to wait and see what comes out.
    03-04-10 11:41 AM
    Its not all about size, resolution matters as well. And these new BB's have both size and resolution.
    03-04-10 12:15 PM
    So is there any inkling at all that VW will get the iPhone? I'm eligible to upgrade tomorrow but am holding out to see if the iPhone is actually coming.

I have the Curve 8330 which I love so I'm willing to wait.
    03-04-10 12:32 PM
    I also can upgrade in April. I love my 8330 but dont like the small screen. My eyes are not what they used to be. Looking at the Touch Pro 2 but its aweful slow. Someone said after the 6.5 upgrade its a lot faster. Would love to stay with a BB but need a much bigger screen and a real key board. I got a month. Thats a long time for call phones. Just have to wait and see what comes out.
    make your font a tad bit bigger old timer.
    03-04-10 01:24 PM
    Please explain smooth? I hope you aren't talking about processing speeds and it running smoother. Then again I hope you aren't talking about looks smooth either. Those nice round icons on the Tour really make me go "OOOOOOOoooooh."

As far as the keyboard I will say that I prefer SurePress over the Eris. However, the Eris isn't laughable. The ability to predict text on the Android platform is phenominal. I can actually use the Eris' keyboard in portrait. On my Storm 1 and 2 I had to use it in landscape.

And as Android needing work? The BB OS needs work. Considering Android has been out for what... around a 3 years total but released as open source since oct 08 vs BB OS that has been around awhile something to the tune of about 10 years and is closed. Let's chalk this one up for the boys @ Google! Open Source will rule the cell phone industry in the next few years. Google is once again ahead of the game.
    I was referring to the smoothness of messaging with the blackberry. The ERIS cannot keep up with my typing for the life of it. Always stuttering when I am typing a message or email. Also, I find the portrait keyboard for the ERIS way too small for me. I mean I can make way with it but I still have to switch to landscape to write long messages. If you have used the iPhones keyboard for awhile, I am sure you would think the ERIS keyboard is pretty laughable.

I think the ERIS is just a little toy, I should have tried the DROID to get the full android experience. As I think the ERIS is a great phone for a 14 year old High School freshmen, showing off her BFF texts to her boyfriend.

I might be in the minority on this one, but I prefer closed source OS's. I am for quality over quantity and the funny thing is.... apple has both. So google might be on the way to the top as you said, but it is still far from it.

PS. This is just my feeling on the device, so don't crucify me =). When I first got the ERIS, I was in love with it. People that I showed it too were in love with it and told me to keep it. I had to do what was best for me and that was to give up the ERIS. Is it a great phone for others? you bet it is. Was it a great phone for me? not so much. Enjoy your ERIS though and with the 2.1 update available... I bet you will enjoy it even more.
    Last edited by rickyhagen; 03-04-10 at 03:47 PM.
    03-04-10 03:34 PM
    make your font a tad bit bigger old timer.
    HMMM, thats a good... HEY WAIT A MINUTE! Dont make me climb thru this here pc to get to you young lady. You know what? I tried that. And it works. Right up until I tried to type something. Then I cant find where to make the key board bigger. Think you can help me there?
    03-04-10 08:33 PM
    Don't go broke over a phone. Get the one you want and when you want it. Do your homework. Go into a store and check out the models you like the most. Play with them. Ask questions. And if you can't remember the questions you want to ask, write them down. And if the rep you are working with can't give you the right answer, ask to speak to someone who is more informed about the device. Don't let them intimidate you into buying a device you don't want or have an interest in.
    If you check online and do some research, that will help you too. I am a BB fan.
    I sold wireless for a long time and like them. I own a Tour and have no issues with it. I like the simplicity of it. It is a great device. But you need to check them out and make your own decision. Just because you are due in April doesn't mean you HAVE to get your phone in April. You can get it anytime after your upgrade date is available.

Good luck
    03-04-10 08:53 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD