Bare with me...

I purchased a brand new storm with a new voice line back when the storm first came out

i ported my # out to a different carrier and didn't pay VZW the ETF

on june 15th i reactivated my VZW account, ported a # in, got a nice credit and am using the same Storm I bought from when it first came out

i was told that my contract would be back dated to the original start for upgrade eligibility

i called today to see how much an early upgrade to the Tour would cost me

the rep tells me that my upgrade eligibility actually began on june 15th when i started service again, which means i qualify for the 30 day money back gurantee which in turn means that if i return the storm (which was purchased 7 or so months ago) with original packaging (which i do have) i can get a tour at new sale price ($199) and just pay the difference (which i think i paid more for than that for the storm)

is this right? i told the rep that i was told that my contract would be backdated when i reinstated on june 15th but she says her system says it starts from june 15th 2009. if thats so then thats great.

I don't think I have the original receipt from when i purchased that storm, but if i do, it'll show the date i originally bought it... which would not go well with the june 15th 2009 date for eligibility

what should i do?

should i call vzw CS back and have them mail me a letter stating exactly what i was told on the phone so when i show up to get my tour there is no problems on my behalf?

if i show up with a receipt of a device purchased 7 months ago, trying to say i want to return it for a tour due to 30 day money back, they are going to laugh at me

input?

TY
    07-03-09 08:49 PM
    When the rep stated that your upgrade eligibility date started on June 15th, I believe they meant that would be the starting point from which to determine your upgrade eligibility. Which means you have 12 months from that date for an annual upgrade (if you are on a plan $49.99 or higher) or 20 months from that date to qualify for a new every 2 upgrade.

It's highly unlikely they will let you return the Storm since you don't have a receipt. If they decide to try to assist you without the receipt, then they will have to look at the history of the phone and they will see that it was purchased more than 30 days ago and probably won't let you return (which they shouldn't since it's 7 months old.)

If they base your eligibility on the purchase date, then you still aren't eligible for anything since you haven't had the phone for a year yet since the Storm wasn't out a year ago.

There is hope though. If your phone was reactivated under a new account number and the phone was coded as "customer provided equipment", then you may be able to upgrade at the 2 yr pricing. If they just reactivated your old account, then you aren't eligible for promotional pricing.
    07-03-09 11:23 PM
    ok cool that was very helpful thank you
    07-04-09 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD