08-22-09 07:47 AM
85 1234
tools
    There are actually more practical reasons for updating your PRL with the ongoing merger with Alltel. Especially in the Mid-West (and other effected markets).
    Very true.

I really have no idea whats going on with the merger as there is no Alltel in my region, but I imagine as Alltel accounts are transitioned to Verizon accounts, they will have different PRLs pushed to their handsets.

Also, I have heard of instances in the interim of special hybrid PRLs being pushed to certain customers who have service problems.
    08-19-09 03:01 PM
    Yes, there are Hybrid PRLs available. They are for former alltel customers, customers conveted to verizon with verizon devices, and new customers.

The Hybrid PRL are for Verizon devices only.

Keep in mind "hybrid" PRLs are only relevent to certain areas.
    08-19-09 04:12 PM
    Some of you are playing the semantics game. Too many people outside of the industry don't understand "systems." They don't even care about networks, as long as their communications go through & they aren't charged extra.

Use of the term "systems" would keep most laypersons from ever updating - well gee, there are no new carriers in the area, so why update?

People understand "towers" - they can see them, touch them & even look them up online. They can't see a "system" & most worldnt understand the complex ownership webs of those systems, with all of the subsidiaries, agreements, DBAs, etc.

For best signal performance wherever you go, periodic PRL updates are recommended.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 04:50 PM
    Sounds like you had a Hybrid PRL. Were you a former Alltel customer?
    Yep former Alltel customer!
    08-19-09 06:20 PM
    Wasn't trying to play semantics, was just trying to give a more technical explanation of what PRLs are actually for.

For 99% of the people out there, the standard Verizon explanation is fine. For the people who take the time to read these forums and want to understand things, they are curious to know exactly what is going on.
    08-19-09 06:46 PM
    Yep former Alltel customer!
    That hybrid PRL might have been helping you out. If you do have the hybrid, then dialing *228 will overwrite it with the standard VZW one.
    08-19-09 06:52 PM
    so for the **** of it i did*228 option 2 , before i did that i checked my prl it was 51468 and still is and i live in the sticks in southern oregon, i know that i switch networks when i drive to grants pass , it switches to a us cellular tower and then back. i love this phone . it is my new teddy bear.
    lol
    08-19-09 06:59 PM
    I live on the east coast and update my PRL every month. When I travel to the west coast, do I need to update once I get there since I'm in a new area?

08-19-09 07:52 PM
    I live on the east coast and update my PRL every month. When I travel to the west coast, do I need to update once I get there since I'm in a new area?

No you do not.
    08-19-09 08:03 PM
    I just updated and it updated me from 40052 to 40053. Former Alltel customer using Alltel Flip 8230 in Northeast Texas BTW.
    08-19-09 08:08 PM
    just got 40053 today
    08-20-09 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the heads up.

08-20-09 06:34 PM
    Mines is 51468 and I did *228 and it stayed the same.
    08-20-09 06:46 PM
    Yes, there are Hybrid PRLs available. They are for former alltel customers, customers conveted to verizon with verizon devices, and new customers.

The Hybrid PRL are for Verizon devices only.

Keep in mind "hybrid" PRLs are only relevent to certain areas.
    I was recently pushed a Hybrid PRL to my VZW device and I am on an Alltel plan. It took several tries but was finally successful. Then the PRL reverted back to 40052 yesterday and this morning it was 40053. My signal "seems" better from the house but I really won't have the ability to test it out fully until next week. Does anyone know what changes were made in this latest PRL for Alltel plans?
    08-20-09 08:11 PM
    PRLs are not pushed to a phone. You have to update to get them.

08-21-09 12:39 AM

Incorrect - Hybrid PRL's are pushed to devices. *228 will not update to that current Hybrid PRL - it will actually overwrite it and deliver the standard PRL. PRL's have been pushed out in the past to fix other known issues.

Also, data cards can receive PRL updates automatically. Not exactly a way to dial *228 with a card.

I thought you worked in corporate...
    08-21-09 01:33 AM

I stand by what I said. I have not done a *228 update since before I was pushed hybrid 63002. First, 40052 showed back up and the follwing day 40053 showed up. I did not do a PRL update.

08-21-09 05:48 AM
    Incorrect - Hybrid PRL's are pushed to devices. *228 will not update to that current Hybrid PRL - it will actually overwrite it and deliver the standard PRL. PRL's have been pushed out in the past to fix other known issues.

Also, data cards can receive PRL updates automatically. Not exactly a way to dial *228 with a card.

I thought you worked in corporate...
    Hybrid PRLs are still a manually provisioned process and they overlay the existing. To receive a standard PRL, you must connect to update. If standard PRL updates were pushed, the company would do it for everyone, removing any customer service issues pertaining to not regularly updating.

08-21-09 11:59 AM
    Hybrid PRLs are still a manually provisioned process and they overlay the existing. To receive a standard PRL, you must connect to update. If standard PRL updates were pushed, the company would do it for everyone, removing any customer service issues pertaining to not regularly updating.

Haha.. Manually provisioned? A rep submits a request to have a hybrid PRL pushed by computer. Regardless if it took him/her 2 clicks to do it - it is still PUSHED to the phone. And they are not an overlay. Hybrids are actual PRLs that prefer the Alltel network over the VZW network.

Standard PRL updates can be pushed. Alltel did this to turn off the roaming indicator when in extended network coverage.

Pushing a PRL is not the only way to do it of course. *228 is what reps normally will use to update PRLs due to the fact that it does it manually right then and there. Not everyone can receive a pushed PRL - that is why it is not normally done. It is based on network availability and the possibility they are outside of their home area at the time.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 08-21-09 at 12:11 PM.
    08-21-09 12:05 PM
    Haha.. Manually provisioned? A rep submits a request to have a hybrid PRL pushed by computer. Regardless if it took him/her 2 clicks to do it - it is still PUSHED to the phone.

Standard PRL updates can be pushed. Alltel did this to turn off the roaming indicator when in extended network coverage.

Pushing a PRL is not the only way to do it of course. *228 is what reps normally will use to update PRLs due to the fact that it does it manually right then and there. Not everyone can receive a pushed PRL - that is why it is not normally done. It is based on network availability and the possibility they are outside of their home area at the time.
    It has nothing to do with home area, since PRL updates cannot be performed outside of home areas.

My job here is not to argue. I have a different job altogether and have seen many instances where false information is being perpetuated. The information you are providing is false and many complaints have been lodged regarding people claiming to represent the company online with faulty information have been received.

08-21-09 12:30 PM
    It has nothing to do with home area, since PRL updates cannot be performed outside of home areas.

My job here is not to argue. I have a different job altogether and have seen many instances where false information is being perpetuated. The information you are providing is false and many complaints have been lodged regarding people claiming to represent the company online with faulty information have been received.

what info is false? That the hybrid prl is being pushed to the alltel people?
    08-21-09 12:38 PM

Obviously you didn't comprehend my last post. Pushed PRLs are normally NOT done due to their availability for a connection to the network and the possibility that the user may not be in their home area. This means that it won't work for 100% users. Hence the reason it is not done on a wide scale basis, unless it is to fix an overall problem.

HOWEVER, you technically can do a PRL update outside of the home area, but it can cause issues. Which is why customers are told they should wait until they are in their home area to perform the update.

What is your "job" here? To discredit yourself in 25 posts? or.. do you have other egotistical motives?
    08-21-09 12:39 PM
    PLEASE PLEASE tell your fellow Boise reps to NOT use this as the primary troubleshooting step though.. lol

It will not fix data, pic messaging, text, etc.. Maybe help coverage a little, but that's it. Not saying you live by it, but I do know a lot of reps telling customers to try *228 and then call back if they have any issues.
    Oh yeah... absolutely... generally its part of the t/s but I have plenty to check for without worrying about programming!
    Not to say other reps here think that *228 will fix EVERYTHING. I know better than that... Thanks for the info though.
    Gotta stick together!

Again... who IS that guy!?
    I'll be anxious to see what happens when ... gets a hold of him...
    *sits back and waits*
    Last edited by heather.law; 08-21-09 at 12:54 PM. Reason: scratches head...
    08-21-09 12:47 PM
    Guys a troll to the max... I wish that ... could get a hold of him but it looks like he was banned...
    08-21-09 01:01 PM
    Oh really??? that was quick! Glad the Mods made quick work of that one...
    He was starting to wig me out.
    08-21-09 01:21 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD