08-22-09 07:47 AM
85 1234
tools
    Can someone please pull this off their phone and post it for us alltel users since we can't get it with a *228? TIA

forkup
    08-18-09 08:39 PM
    After *228 in your dial screen type in #4357* scroll down to see your PRL#.
    I updated mine awhile back!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 09:36 PM
    228 option 2
    Thanks CK!
    08-18-09 10:11 PM
    Yes, but thats not the only thing it does.

If your a former Alltel customer it may make a difference. VZW is doing away with some sids while integrating the Alltel network. If you happen to have a really old Alltel PRL that didn't allow roaming on the particular sid you happen to be on you'll have no service while all the other VZW customers do.
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that. Makes sense.
    08-19-09 12:13 AM
    Explains why all of our berries have been showing 1exv instead of 1EXV. Also explains why my aircard was only showing 1xRTT available, then took 999 years to connect for the first time today.

Thanks OP for the heads up!
    08-19-09 02:59 AM
    heck yea that gave me an extra bar in my office!
    08-19-09 07:57 AM
    Thanks for the heads up CK!
    08-19-09 07:59 AM
    What's the latest PRL number? I had 65024 right before I updated, and now I have 51468. Does that seem right?
    08-19-09 09:24 AM
    What's the latest PRL number? I had 65024 right before I updated, and now I have 51468. Does that seem right?
    Sounds like you had a Hybrid PRL. Were you a former Alltel customer?
    08-19-09 09:52 AM
    I generally get a perfect -80DbM

Just updated tho thanks for the heads up. It will come in handy this week for troubleshooting.

08-19-09 09:59 AM
    I generally get a perfect -80DbM

Just updated tho thanks for the heads up. It will come in handy this week for troubleshooting.

PLEASE PLEASE tell your fellow Boise reps to NOT use this as the primary troubleshooting step though.. lol

It will not fix data, pic messaging, text, etc.. Maybe help coverage a little, but that's it. Not saying you live by it, but I do know a lot of reps telling customers to try *228 and then call back if they have any issues.
    08-19-09 10:02 AM
    Still no verizon love here above Greensboro, NC. A prl update still gives me alltels 40052. It would be nice if a verizon user would pull the new one off their phone and post it here for us. It's easy to do with DM and QXDM. Run Desktop manager, once it connects run Qxdm and run the command pr_list_rd 0 "c:\name.prl" in Qxdm. This will save the prl to file c:\name.prl which you can zip and update as an attachment. It literally takes only one minute TIA.

forkup
    Last edited by forkup; 08-19-09 at 10:10 AM.
    08-19-09 10:04 AM
    In ohio there has been no change unless you were a former alltel customer.. it is still 51468
    08-19-09 10:09 AM
    This is not new.

The PRL has been 51468 since July 9th.

Checking with the Verizon subforum at HoFo verifies that there is no new PRL.
    08-19-09 10:25 AM
    This is not new.

The PRL has been 51468 since July 9th.

Checking with the Verizon subforum at HoFo verifies that there is no new PRL.
    Depends on where you're located and all. And yes there was a new PRL released this week. Maybe your insiders at HoFo could check their internal resources one more time......
    08-19-09 10:29 AM
    Depends on where you're located and all. And yes there was a new PRL released this week. Maybe your insiders at HoFo could check their internal resources one more time......
    Then since no one here has been able to confirm what is the new PRL number, as so far the only thing posted is 51468 which is not new
    08-19-09 11:20 AM
    I have an Alltel curve, should I do this?

I am non-divested, btw

08-19-09 12:23 PM
    I have an Alltel curve, should I do this?

I am non-divested, btw

Nah you'll still get the Alltel versions.
    08-19-09 12:28 PM
    It actually updates both, your providers towers and the towers of any carriers your provider has roaming agreements with
    08-19-09 12:43 PM
    51495 for me, but I've been outside of VZW airspace for weeks - no updates for me yet.

Seems like I don't need one.

For those of you unfamiliar with PRLs, check yours by going to your dialing screen, then entering #HELP* or #4357*

A PRL update will do you no good if you're in your home area & no tower changes have taken place. It can help if you're traveling or if there are local changes. If in doubt, there is no harm and only good in updating, unless you're running a special hybrid PRL for whatever reason.

The PRL list does assist your device in locking into the best available towers - and these towers are what connect you to all aspects of your mobile telephony - but if the towers in your area have seen no changes in the past year, having a new PRL instead of a 6 month old one will mean nothing to you.

08-19-09 12:56 PM
    It actually updates both, your providers towers and the towers of any carriers your provider has roaming agreements with
    Thanks, I always thought is was just for roaming.
    08-19-09 12:56 PM
    51495 for me, but I've been outside of VZW airspace for weeks - no updates for me yet.

Seems like I don't need one.

For those of you unfamiliar with PRLs, check yours by going to your dialing screen, then entering #HELP* or #4357*

A PRL update will do you no good if you're in your home area & no tower changes have taken place. It can help if you're traveling or if there are local changes. If in doubt, there is no harm and only good in updating, unless you're running a special hybrid PRL for whatever reason.

The PRL list does assist your device in locking into the best available towers - and these towers are what connect you to all aspects of your mobile telephony - but if the towers in your area have seen no changes in the past year, having a new PRL instead of a 6 month old one will mean nothing to you.

I haven't moved in a while, actually. 45 minutes East or West, but nothing major. I've had this PRL (same one as you) for a while now too. Don't remember when it came up, but I haven't updated for a while and I looked before updating - nothing's changed.
    08-19-09 01:05 PM
    I haven't moved in a while, actually. 45 minutes East or West, but nothing major. I've had this PRL (same one as you) for a while now too. Don't remember when it came up, but I haven't updated for a while and I looked before updating - nothing's changed.
    Mine has been the same for at least 10 weeks or so.

The PRLs are regional - same information between regions, just different preference orders. Sometimes it is a tweaking of preference order that makes it a new PRL.

People come on here to tell us there is a new PRL - no problem there, as many forget to do it - what is better is a monthly reminder, then just do it. BlackBerrys are an odd bird, though - have done PRL updates on them & lost all data. Resend service books & sometimes reregister is needed when this happens.

But a new PRL in New Jersey may not translate into a new PRL elsewhere.
    08-19-09 01:50 PM
    Just as a heads up to everyone wondering about PRLs:

PRLs have NO EFFECT whatsoever on specific towers.

Doing *228 option 2 will not "load the newly built towers" into your phone, or whatever other rumors are out there.

The PRL, or prefered roaming list, basically tells the phones what systems (not towers) to look for when it can't find a native signal.

So for example: A Verizon BlackBerry that is always connected to a Verizon Tower, will never consult its PRL.

It it looses a native signal, it consults the PRL to determine which roaming partners take priority in a given area.

For instance, in Region A, the Priority might be Sprint, Alltel, USC.

In Region B, the Priority, might be Alltel, <some small regional carrier>, USC, with no Sprint roaming available.

Etc.

PRL updates are usually pushed out every 2-3 months, as Verizon's roaming agreements change with the other carriers.

With a few exceptions, doing a PRL update will not change your signal strengh at all. If you live in an area like I do, that has good native Verizon coverage, and no roaming partners, doing a PRL update is pretty much meaningless.

Also, PRLs are usually nationwide, however the PRL you get will depend on what plan you have. ACI, ACII, Nationwide, older single rate plans, etc.
    08-19-09 02:12 PM
    There are actually more practical reasons for updating your PRL with the ongoing merger with Alltel. Especially in the Mid-West (and other effected markets).
    08-19-09 02:21 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD