Is it possible/feasible to purchase an unlocked Tour and obtain service on Verizon w/o purchasing a data plan?

I currently have 2 Vzw phones that I would like to replace with BBs; however, as MANY others I do NOT want to pay for data plans!!!

Can anyone help?????
    08-26-09 11:03 AM
    is this a joke? There are 100,000,000 threads about this same type of thing. NO YOU CANT HAVE A BLACKBERRY WITH VZW WITH NO DATA PLAN. Just please close this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 11:14 AM
    is this a joke? There are 100,000,000 threads about this same type of thing. NO YOU CANT HAVE A BLACKBERRY WITH VZW WITH NO DATA PLAN. Just please close this thread.

Thank you for your kind and considerate answer!! I'm not stupid. I spent significant time searching this forum on the issue and I know that if you purchase a phone via VZW you must get a data plan. However, I could NOT find any info on same if you purchased an unlocked phone!!!

You sound like you work for VZW. The same arrogant attitude!
    08-26-09 11:23 AM
    No attitude, just sick of seeing the same question posted daily. Its been answered over and over again. Vzw is a CDMA carrier so there is no unlocking of phones. I understand the tour supports a sim card so technically u can slap in something like a T-Mo sim but then its no longer VZW.

08-26-09 11:39 AM
    You sound like you work for VZW. The same arrogant attitude!
    This is why you will see less and less posts by VZW employees. Thanks for the reminder.
    08-26-09 11:44 AM
    If you buy off eBay and call in with the esn, the Verizon system will not activate an esn associated with a blackberry without an active data plan on that account.

08-26-09 01:32 PM
    This is why you will see less and less posts by VZW employees. Thanks for the reminder.
    I think we should just sit back and watch the misinformation fly.

In a matter of weeks there will be posts about how you can activate iPhones on VZW, blackberries with no data plan, etc.
    I dub it, "Information Anarchy."

08-26-09 01:36 PM
    Where is John Galt? LoL

08-26-09 01:49 PM
    I think we should just sit back and watch the misinformation fly.

In a matter of weeks there will be posts about how you can activate iPhones on VZW, blackberries with no data plan, etc.
    I dub it, "Information Anarchy."

Fully agree.
    08-26-09 02:04 PM
    Only thing is, there are actually people that post here that AREN'T reps that DO know what they are talking about

08-26-09 02:32 PM
    Only thing is, there are actually people that post here that AREN'T reps that DO know what they are talking about

Not these people

Is it possible/feasible to purchase an unlocked Tour and obtain service on Verizon w/o purchasing a data plan?

I currently have 2 Vzw phones that I would like to replace with BBs; however, as MANY others I do NOT want to pay for data plans!!!

Can anyone help?????
    08-26-09 02:34 PM
    Let it fly... ( Bad info ) like monkey poo!!!

Sheesh... Why would anyone want a blackberry w/out a data plan anyway... Oh btw don't go sulking to at&t bc they require the same thing on their berrys too.

08-26-09 02:39 PM
    Let it fly... ( Bad info ) like monkey poo!!!

Sheesh... Why would anyone want a blackberry w/out a data plan anyway... Oh btw don't go sulking to at&t bc they require the same thing on their berrys too.

I love it
    08-26-09 02:43 PM
    *splat*

08-26-09 03:26 PM
    However, I could NOT find any info on same if you purchased an unlocked phone!!!
    there is no such thing as an unlocked cdma phone. The only part of the tour that can be unlocked is the GSM portion of it and you still can only use it with a GSM SIM card on a GSM network.
    08-26-09 04:04 PM

That would be like posting on a message board about my cable bill...better to go to a store or call customer service to get a rep than take hearsay on a message board.
    08-26-09 07:01 PM
    Forgive me if I am wrong but this board isn't intended as a place for reps to field questions........ This board if for anyone to come and discuss anything Verizon related..... Phones, plans, pricing, business model, rumors, etc regarding VZW. The fact that there are reps here that field some of those questions is merely coincidence. While you are right its not the best idea to ask about your bill or certain charges, etc. On an internet forum, that's not what this forum is here for in the first place.

08-26-09 07:56 PM
    Hey, I wanna argue! Can I wipe my @$$ with my pearl flip if it's unlocked??? There, did I do good?
    08-26-09 08:32 PM
    my blackberry tour is unlocked for tmob, use t-zones to get on the web. No 3g just edge. It sucks so I'm have ordered a storm 2. Problem solved.
    06-23-10 05:19 PM
    That is on T-Mobile, this is the Verizon section however. Verizon requires a BlackBerry data plan on ALL BlackBerry devices activated on the Verizon network. There is no work around for this.
    06-23-10 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD