I really want a Storm 2 and I'm not up for an upgrade anytime soon so I found an unlocked one on Amazon that I think will be worth the money, as it is new and comes with everything. BUT It say's 'vodafone' or something similar and although it is unlocked I'm nervous that I may end up shelling out $350 for this phone then it not working on Verizon, does anyone know if it will work(or wont) or how I can find out if it will?
    12-30-10 12:42 AM
    Unlocked refers to the GSM radio that require sim cards. If it is made for Vodaphone it won't work here with Verizon. Check the marketplace here for a Verizon branded Storm2.
    lalalaura.anne likes this.
    12-30-10 12:47 AM
    Alright, thank you. I just thought that the storm 2 9550 were the storms that were specifically for verizon.
    12-30-10 12:51 AM
    The Storm 2 for verizon is the 9550. It says verizon on the phone. It is a world phone meaning that It can run on verizon's cdma network and can be unlocked to run on gsm networks overseas. The Storm 2 9520 is the vodaphone version and is branded with vodapjone on it. It is a gsm only device and it cannot run on verizon's cdma network. It only runs on overseas gsm betworks. Whether a storm 2 9550 for verizon is unlocked or not is completely immaterial for use on verizon. It will only mean that you can put another carriers sim card in it if you travel to a place where they only have gsm networks (like Europe). You want to make sure it is a cdma storm (and they didn't just screw up the model #) and the esn # is clear meaning it has not been reported lost or stolen so you can activate it on verizon (if it is new this part should not be an issue).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 02:06 AM
    VZW will not allow any device that is not VZW-branded to be used on their network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 02:12 AM
    ^^^ true .....
    12-30-10 11:01 AM
    Thank you all for the info.
    12-30-10 04:59 PM
    I really want a Storm 2 and I'm not up for an upgrade anytime soon so I found an unlocked one on Amazon that I think will be worth the money, as it is new and comes with everything. BUT It say's 'vodafone' or something similar and although it is unlocked I'm nervous that I may end up shelling out $350 for this phone then it not working on Verizon, does anyone know if it will work(or wont) or how I can find out if it will?
    It might be cheaper to pay the Early Termination Fee for your current phone/plan and get a new Storm2 9550 for VZW from someplace like BestBuy, WalMart or Sam's Club that has a rebate to make phone free or nearly free and get free activation with new 2yr contract. Check their sites online and then call or go into the store to make sure you will get all of that for sure in your particular situation. Also, get the 150mb for $15/month data plan to save $360 over the life of the plan compared to the $30 per month unlimited plan which should more than cover your ETF.
    Last edited by mikeplus1; 01-01-11 at 01:17 PM.
    01-01-11 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD