Hi I'm new to the forum. I have read a million times that you cant buy a BB without a data plan and I realize you cant buy a new BB without a data plan. My question is if I already have a plan with VZW, no data, can I buy a BB from craigslist and just activate it? Or would that add on the $30? People always say whats the point of a BB without data but even without 3G their so much better than all non data verizon phones. I have an ENV touch and its ok but I much prefer the BB keypad and also they have WIFI and I'm always in WIFI anyway. So if anyone knows a way to make this happen that would be great. Ik you can do it with iPhones on a GSM carrier so I was just curious. Thanks
    09-30-10 10:11 PM
    When you activate any BlackBerry you must chose a data plan. I just added another Bold onto my Family Share plan and it won't let you past the screen unless you chose a data plan.
    09-30-10 10:44 PM
    So even if I get a used one from craigslist that is the case? I read some that were advertised as unlocked. Does that mean their just usable on any carrier but you'd still have to activate them? I appreciate the help.
    09-30-10 10:47 PM
    So even if I get a used one from craigslist that is the case? I read some that were advertised as unlocked. Does that mean their just usable on any carrier but you'd still have to activate them? I appreciate the help.
    Yes, even if it is used, you're still required to have a data plan. Unlocked just means you can use it with any GSM carrier, not Verizon.
    09-30-10 10:50 PM
    Ok thanks for the info. I had a feeling it was not possible but I hate my current phone so much I figured I'd at least ask.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 11:17 PM
    Yes, it isn't possible. All carriers now require data with BB. AT&T is ther cheapest with their teired 250MB plan for 15 a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-10 09:02 AM
    If I were to activate a BB that I bought used and they added the data plan automatically would it extend my contract which i am currently one year into? I am considering just paying the extra $30 because it would be nice to have 3G, but would I have to start a new contract for this and could I go back to my old phone if I didnt like the BB?
    10-01-10 08:04 PM
    If I were to activate a BB that I bought used and they added the data plan automatically would it extend my contract which i am currently one year into? I am considering just paying the extra $30 because it would be nice to have 3G, but would I have to start a new contract for this and could I go back to my old phone if I didnt like the BB?
    No, it does not extend your contract. It also does not extend or renew your contract if you go back to your old phone.
    10-01-10 08:05 PM
    No, it does not extend your contract.
    So basically I could buy a BB and try it out and if I like it keep it for the remainder of my contract and if I don't just deactivate it and move on?
    10-01-10 08:06 PM
    So basically I could buy a BB and try it out and if I like it keep it for the remainder of my contract and if I don't just deactivate it and move on?
    You got it!
    10-01-10 08:07 PM
    You got it!
    Awesome. Thanks for the help. Ik this isnt the right thread but I was thinking of looking for a Bold 9660??? id have to double check the numbers but I heard its a good BB with wifi which according to my friends with iPhones is nice to have even if you have 3G. Is that a good choice?
    Last edited by theluker69; 10-01-10 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    10-01-10 08:12 PM
    Awesome. Thanks for the help. Ik this isnt the right thread but I was thinking of looking for a Bold 9660??? id have to double check the numbers but I heard its a good BB with wifi which according to my friends with iPhones is nice to have even if you have 3G. Is that a good choice?
    The Bold 9650 is a great choice. I would get one if I was eligible for an upgrade. January is not so far away.
    10-01-10 08:14 PM
    The Bold 9650 is a great choice. I would get one if I was eligible for an upgrade. January is not so far away.
    Haha thanks Ill make sure to keep researching but that is definitely the model I am leaning towards. I appreciate all the help.
    10-01-10 08:17 PM
    Yes, it isn't possible. All carriers now require data with BB.
    Not T-Mo. I've got one BB with data, 2 without.
    10-01-10 08:44 PM
    So I considered ending my contract with VZW and getting Tmo and just using a BB no data, but because of the restrictions that this creates Ive decided that the data package is worth it (and should be really nice) and because in my area VZW has the best coverage I will stick with them. My new question is if I buy a used BB I will be able to activate it as long as it was made for verizon right> Regardless of whether or not the person selling it had it activated or whatever. Thanks
    10-07-10 12:12 AM
    So I considered ending my contract with VZW and getting Tmo and just using a BB no data, but because of the restrictions that this creates Ive decided that the data package is worth it (and should be really nice) and because in my area VZW has the best coverage I will stick with them. My new question is if I buy a used BB I will be able to activate it as long as it was made for verizon right> Regardless of whether or not the person selling it had it activated or whatever. Thanks
    If you purchase a used BlackBerry to use with Verizon, make sure you check the ESN with customer service to make sure it is not on a stolen/non pay list. If it is, you're buying a used paperweight.
    10-07-10 05:33 PM
    If you purchase a used BlackBerry to use with Verizon, make sure you check the ESN with customer service to make sure it is not on a stolen/non pay list. If it is, you're buying a used paperweight.
    I havent heard this. Thank you very much for potentially saving me the cost of a phone lol. How do I check that ESN though, like where is it on the phone?
    10-07-10 08:13 PM
    I havent heard this. Thank you very much for potentially saving me the cost of a phone lol. How do I check that ESN though, like where is it on the phone?
    You can find it on the back of the phone by removing the battery. You can also find it if the phone is on by going to, options, then status. It will say MEID.
    10-07-10 08:16 PM
    You can find it on the back of the phone by removing the battery. You can also find it if the phone is on by going to, options, then status. It will say MEID.
    Thank you I will be sure to check that before I buy a phone.
    10-07-10 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD