Hey, all you Crackberry fanatics out there, I have a question for you and your amazingly knowledgeable-about-Blackberry brains...

So, I am a relatively new Blackberry user. I got a Blackberry Pearl for Christmas and am now ready to move on to a Curve. Thing is, I want to get a red Curve, but Verizon doesn't have red. So, I thought about getting a Curve made for Sprint and then having it unlocked.

My question is: is that possible? I googled and some say you can (you don't "unlock" you "flash" with CDMA phones) while others say it's impossible (something to do with not being able to decode ESN #s)?

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    03-17-09 05:11 AM
    no you can't sprint/nextel has sim cards and verizon does not
    03-17-09 07:42 AM
    It can be done but I believe verizon changed their policy to not allow it. Your best bet would be to buy a verizon and either swap housings, send it off to colorware or there is a member here that sells custom painted housings

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 10:04 AM
    Sprint phones are CDMA and therefore cannot be unlocked. Sprint and Verizon phones can't be cross-carried, sorry.

03-17-09 10:13 AM
    no you can't sprint/nextel has sim cards and verizon does not
    I think its just nextel phones that have the sim card. Regular sprint phones don't.

03-17-09 10:16 AM
    Ya sprint phones don't have sim cards....

But I know som vzw phones do..

I have never been able to unlock any phone to sprint. From wht I get from the sprint csr's at sprint is they have a list of esns in a data base if it not in there they can swap it or activate it

03-17-09 10:52 AM
    Or an easier and cheaper solution is to just go to Cnn.cn and buy a complete red housing case and swap it out.
    03-17-09 11:51 AM
    I understand that VZW will now allow u to put sprint and alltel phones on there network.
    03-17-09 11:56 AM
    Hey - thanks so much for the responses, y'all. Very helpful. Guess I'm on my way to a pink Curve for now then, heh heh. Thanks again! - Camille
    03-17-09 11:59 AM
    Ya sprint phones don't have sim cards....

But I know som vzw phones do..

I have never been able to unlock any phone to sprint. From wht I get from the sprint csr's at sprint is they have a list of esns in a data base if it not in there they can swap it or activate it

What?! My phone has a SIM? Where is it?! I thought there was only an SD.
    03-17-09 02:49 PM
    It doesn't. Nextel phones do, but not Sprint phones.
    03-17-09 06:45 PM
    Okay, I didn't think so. Thanks for clearing that up. And 9630?! Sprint before big Verizon?! I'm so excited for that, better start saving now.
    03-17-09 10:41 PM
    Sprint phones can be unlocked. The issue is whether the carrier will except it that way. The phone will still pull from the sprint towers and the only company I know that will do this is cricket.

Sprint phones don't use SIM cards. Only nextel phones do.

03-18-09 05:10 AM
    Thing is, I want to get a red Curve, but Verizon doesn't have red. So, I thought about getting a Curve made for Sprint and then having it unlocked.
    I wouldn't be buying into a new phone/plan from Verizon right now, not with the new Niagra 9630 device coming available within a few months (or less!). If you can pick up CHEAP a Verizon Curve (someone selling on eBay since they upgraded to a Storm or whatever) and then buy a red case from online or get it painted by Colorware then you could sign up for a month-to-month bring your own device plan with Verizon, and then up for a two year contract a new device when the Niagra hits. If you like the current Curve form factor you're going to LOVE the Niagra!

There are "reports" of people getting a Sprint BlackBerry flashed to work on Verizon and vice versa, but I've never actually SEEN it myself so I couldn't vouch for it. If you're not too lazy to do some phone research you can call Verizon tech support and just flat out ask. You WILL have to fight your way past level 1 tech support to get to the BlackBerry support folks though.
    03-18-09 06:01 AM
    The ESN issue is huge since there are no ESNs left. IF you were able to do that you'd then have to update the PLMN on the phone update the firmware to poll ONLY VZW towers. In the end way too much work for something, and VZW won't be able to support you

03-18-09 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD