I searched but want to make sure so I came here to get a second answer...

Is data on the blackberry plan unlimited?...

And tethering is has a 5GB cap?...correct?

The rep I spoke with said the 5 GB cap was total...data with the phone AND tethering...

????
    11-30-09 08:11 PM
    yes. that is true.
    11-30-09 08:18 PM
    BB Data plan is unlimited, the 5gb refers to if you were tethering the device as a modem only.
    11-30-09 08:20 PM
    Not so quick with your answers here folks!! If the OP info is correct ,it looks to me, if you are on Bluegrass Cellular and have the Blackberry Email and Internet Service then you are limited to 3 GB email and internet. If you are on the Advanced Data Plan then you are limited to 5 GB.
    Last edited by Gnomad; 11-30-09 at 08:36 PM.
    11-30-09 08:34 PM
    My bad, I thought we were talking about Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 08:36 PM
    Not so quick with your answers here folks!! If the OP info is correct ,it looks to me, if you are on Bluegrass Cellular and have the Blackberry Email and Internet Service then you are limited to 3 GB email and internet. If you are on the Advanced Data Plan then you are limited to 5 GB.
    Not so fast amigo! How is this relevant to the thread? 1) the op did not specify in his post which carrier. 2) this is posted in the vzw forum.
    11-30-09 08:41 PM
    My bad, I thought we were talking about Verizon.
    lol same here but now i see the other carrier
    11-30-09 08:42 PM
    Alright fellas, no need to get snippy let's keep this civil.

11-30-09 08:43 PM
    His profile states he is with Bluegrass Cellular. Might be looking to switch to Verizon, I don't know.
    11-30-09 08:44 PM
    Yeah...

Was thinking of switching...

Sorry for the confusion...

As of now with bluegrass I have unlimited everything....no caps on nothing...

But after my contract is up the new cap thing goes into effect...

And they are telling me that the total data will be with phone and tethering...

So...that's why I gave verizon a call about the unlimited thing with the phone itself...

Sorry again for the confusion...

And also...I guess this is up to the carrier...but...thought that even after you go under contract and that contract expires...you can still have the same plan even after the fact?...

From my understanding that's verizons terms?...

11-30-09 08:58 PM
    You are correct, Verizon plan for Blackberry is 29.95 for unlimited data. There is no cap unless you are tethering, then the cap is 5 GB.
    11-30-09 09:09 PM

But after my contract is up the new cap thing goes into effect...
    Wouldn't you be grandfathered in?
    11-30-09 09:48 PM
    Wouldn't you be grandfathered in?
    I don't know...you would think wouldn't you?...

Going to call today and get the scoop...

Thanks for the replies...

12-01-09 05:03 AM
    I don't know...you would think wouldn't you?...

Going to call today and get the scoop...

Thanks for the replies...

If the original contract stipulated an end date to the plan/feature then that is a diff story. otherwise he would be grandfathered in. Some features on some carriers are given a term to match to original contract term.
    12-01-09 05:08 AM
    What if you sync your BB via BT? Are you still within that 5gb cap? I was always under the understanding that if you used BT, you'd be within your unlimited data part of the plan, and not the tethering plan. Am I wrong?
    12-04-09 10:08 PM
    What if you sync your BB via BT? Are you still within that 5gb cap? I was always under the understanding that if you used BT, you'd be within your unlimited data part of the plan, and not the tethering plan. Am I wrong?
    When you say sync via B/T, are you meaning that you xfering data to Outlook? If so this has nothing to so with tethering or data plans.
    12-04-09 10:13 PM
    When you say sync via B/T, are you meaning that you xfering data to Outlook? If so this has nothing to so with tethering or data plans.
    No, I mean surfing the web via B/T. I know people that sync their phone via BT to their computer and surf away, at pretty quick speeds.

If I won't get charged for tethering via BT, I'd drop tetherberry.

I hear conflicting things though regarding tethering via BT, and the cost.
    12-04-09 10:19 PM
    No, I mean surfing the web via B/T. I know people that sync their phone via BT to their computer and surf away, at pretty quick speeds.

If I won't get charged for tethering via BT, I'd drop tetherberry.

I hear conflicting things though regarding tethering via BT, and the cost.
    I still think you would need the tethering feature for this. Why would you, max data speed for B/T is only 144K, most times I am sure slower and burns your battery.
    12-04-09 10:24 PM
    I just sync'd my phone via BT, and I ran a speed test, and I'm getting 774 kbps up, and 300 kbps down. That is more than enough for my web browsing.

In doing this via BT currently, I am completely bypassing VZ Access Manager, so I'd assume this would just be part of my normal unlimited data plan, and Verizon would have no idea I'm tethering.
    12-04-09 10:34 PM
    I just sync'd my phone via BT, and I ran a speed test, and I'm getting 774 kbps up, and 300 kbps down. That is more than enough for my web browsing.

In doing this via BT currently, I am completely bypassing VZ Access Manager, so I'd assume this would just be part of my normal unlimited data plan, and Verizon would have no idea I'm tethering.
    I don't think that is a true statement. You could wind up with a huge bill if you tethered without a plan. BT or not.

12-04-09 10:44 PM

Wrong to assume. I am surprised it even let you connect. Even if by pass VZAM, which can be done, I hope you bill is not huge.
    12-05-09 07:22 AM
    You can do it, however Verizon will noticed the increase in data usage. They have departments that manage this particular thing, like when they went from 1xrtt to EVDO. With 1XRTT (Early America's Choice plans) you could tether without a feature and just use your minutes, well when they switched to EVDO (Later America's Choice and Nationwide plans) they started monitoring things a little closer because people were still using the "free" feature and killing bandwidth on the network.
    12-05-09 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD