I have been on Verizon for 5 years now and My Tour is the second BB. The plan I have been on has been working fine and the bill is about $100 monthly ($95 - $110 range) so I hadn't thought about taking a closer look at what exactly my plan is.

What I have right now is:
    American's Choice II 450 Unlimited N&W $39.99 (which is plenty for me)
    Unlimited M to M PLUS 500 $10.00 (never exceed as well)
    Email & Web for Blackberry $29.99
    And +++ for tax and fee
    (so monthly fixed access charge is about $84)

Automatic withdrawn from my bank account so I guess I haven't paid much attention before. I don't know exactly what the data plan, "Email & Web for Blackberry" is. It show "Date usage - unlimited" but when I looked at the bill, last month, there is $17.10 for data usage fee separately.

So this means my plan doesn't provide unlimited data usage? I checked what other options are on the Verizson site. I could switch it to "Blackberry Broadband Unlimited" @ $44.99 - what is it? It sounds like wireless access for laptop? Or there is another one called "Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage" @ $44.99 (but this doesn't show up under "change plan" under my Verizon). Is this the same thing as "Broadband unlimited"?

Kind of embarrassing that I just found all sort of uncertain things in my plan after 5 years... I just purchased Tetherberry - won't be a heavy user but before seeing outrageous amount in my bill, I want to reevaluate my plan.

Thank you for your help if you have inputs - if I am on a reasonable plan or not.
    Last edited by BrianFTC; 11-06-09 at 10:17 AM.
    11-06-09 10:11 AM
    Most likely they are premium text messages, or 411 charges, even roaming. Call them and ask. I had a 50 dollar extra bill last month because my ***** brother had texted one of those numbers you see on tv for ringtones and sexy ladies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 10:19 AM
    Yeah, has to be some sort of download or something.

Call and ask, and if you didnt authorize it, they will usually drop the charges off the bill. especially if it would be your first time asking.
    11-06-09 10:47 AM
    I also suggest you call and ask what that fee was for. I've read but don't know - that if Verizon catches on to the fact that you are tethering but NOT paying them for it, they can be really angry - meaning charging for that data or terminating your account.

They do have their own tethering plan.

The BIS plan is for normal users not using a corporate BES account. BIS is $29/month.

Others will probably have more info.
    11-06-09 10:49 AM
    MMS messages on the old America's Choice plan? Hard to tell - but DO NOT go on the $45 plan, as it is unnecessary. If you did need it, you'd have known long ago.

The higher rate plan is needed on BlackBerry ONLY if you need connectivity to a corporate BES server. Other smartphones rarely need the $45 plan, as most enterprise connections are independent.

11-06-09 10:53 AM
    Best thing to do is go online and look at the bill to see what the charge is for. I bet you did something and forgot about it. In your online account, you can see the details of the bill. If you still have questions about the bill, call CS at 800-922-0204 and they will explain what it is.
    11-06-09 11:46 AM
    Thanks guys. I didn't want biased Verizon's inputs at first, but just called the customer service. I think I am probably on the least expensive plan for what I need. $17.10 charge was for international text messages which I didn't realize it was extra until today - since they were in the US and use AT&T network, I thought it was same as for the domestic. Silly me. At least, now I know how to read My Verizon and the account usage info online.

And yes, "Email & Web for Blackberry" is an unlimited data plan. I see some people mentioning "make sure to be on an unlimited data plan" for using Tetherberry - is there a non-unlimited data plan around? I don't see any for Verizon. I will watch for my usage of tethering carefully - I just didn't want to pay $30 or something MONTHLY for Verizon's tethering plan.
    11-06-09 11:48 AM
    A couple of things you might want to know.

1) Your customer agreement specifically excludes tethering of any kind without a tethering plan.

2) The "unlimited" data is exclusively for content rendered on your phone. The minute you connect another computer, they can charge you for all data. They may not catch it immediately, but automated audit processes are known to catch it & back-bill.

11-06-09 12:00 PM
    A couple of things you might want to know.

1) Your customer agreement specifically excludes tethering of any kind without a tethering plan.

2) The "unlimited" data is exclusively for content rendered on your phone. The minute you connect another computer, they can charge you for all data. They may not catch it immediately, but automated audit processes are known to catch it & back-bill.

Yeah, I read many threads on that. I am not planning to use that much since most places I travel for business have free wifi - just can't justify $9.99 or $15.99 per day high end hotels charge. Just in case, I bought Tetherberry when it was half off. Is it just a Verizon thing? It is like "illegal to sell cigarettes to minors but it is ok for them to smoke" or "not illegal to sell a plastic cover for license plate for speeding camera but it is to use it." Ok to browse webs on BB but not using a laptop through it. Just doesn't make any sense.
    11-06-09 12:34 PM
    I've heard of a variety of carrier responses - AT&T & Sprint included - that range from immediate to a year later. These responses have run the gamut from charging for data used to complete suspension of service.

Tetherberry is a proxied service & incredibly slow because of it. Personally, I can't see the risk in exchange for abysmal service.

You do know you can activate & deactivate tethering? You can activate it for as little as a day's use @ $1/day. Some here say you can do it at will, but I believe there is a system limitation of three changes per billing cycle - still should be enough.

11-06-09 01:16 PM
    If you think that bill was expensive, wait until you get charged for tethering without a plan. If you look at the PDF online of your bill, it will state exactly what the data charge was for. Usually it's ringtones or something o that nature that people conveniently forget about when the bill comes.
    11-06-09 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD