When vzw 4g networks finally releases will there be a unlimited data plan for people with a 4g phone? Because alot of people uses the tethter app and It doesn't make any since not to have one anymore...other people do a lot of syncing with there phone. I understand AT&T stop unlimited data because of the Iphone. if that's the case then the Iphone should be the only smartphone to not come with unlimited data.
    03-04-11 05:09 AM
    Wow. So difficult to read that.

Please stay in school.
    Gawain likes this.
    03-04-11 05:53 AM
    Verizon has announced they will be ending their unlimited data plan. No word on what the new tiered pricing will be yet.

Verizon To Wait For iPhone5 to Announce Tiered Pricing Plans | Top Tech Reviews
    03-04-11 08:51 AM
    Yes, unlimited data is on its way out. So enjoy it while you have it. No one really knows how the tiered data will be. Will it be tiered by mbps or will it be by GBs used.
    03-04-11 09:11 AM
    Tiering by mbps?? That's not possible is it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 10:48 PM
    Tiering by mbps?? That's not possible is it?

There was some talk that there might be some pricing plans where you pay for the higher throughput, without regard for the actual bandwidth consumed.

For example:

$30/mo for speeds limited to 2Mbps
    $50/mo for speeds limited to 5Mbps
    $80/mo for fastest possible speed every time.

Not very hard to achieve, since they have the ability to throttle back a heavy user's account.

I actually prefer this approach because it's like paying a toll to get in a faster lane, but use the road as much as you want.

I'd be surprised if they took this approach though.
    03-04-11 11:13 PM
    well people who already have unlimited plans should be able to keep their plan.
    03-05-11 12:01 AM
    There was some talk that there might be some pricing plans where you pay for the higher throughput, without regard for the actual bandwidth consumed.

For example:

$30/mo for speeds limited to 2Mbps
    $50/mo for speeds limited to 5Mbps
    $80/mo for fastest possible speed every time.

Not very hard to achieve, since they have the ability to throttle back a heavy user's account.

I actually prefer this approach because it's like paying a toll to get in a faster lane, but use the road as much as you want.

I'd be surprised if they took this approach though.
    Yeah, I would be surprised too but I like this approach a lot. It gives people choice. Some would rather pay a little more to get more speed while others (like me) may opt for a lower speed.

My guess is that this is true. AT&T and VZW seem to "follow" each others' practices a lot and AT&T let their customers keep their unlimited plans. If you're on AT&T with an unlimited plan you can even upgrade your smartphone (across platforms) and they will not force you out of your older plan. So that's good!
    03-23-11 11:31 AM
    Only until you change your contract. Buy a new phone under contract and there goes your unlimited data..
    03-23-11 11:33 AM
    Only until you change your contract. Buy a new phone under contract and there goes your unlimited data..
    But what about AT&T? AT&T already came out a long time ago and said that you could renew your contract and upgrade your phone and NOT lose your unlimited data. Tons of people upgraded to the new iPhone 4 without losing their old plan. And they didn't have to jump through hoops either.
    03-23-11 11:42 AM
    AT&T did that as marketing. They are trying to keep as many people as possible from jumping ship for the Verizon iPhone.
    03-23-11 11:44 AM
    Well I suspect Verizon may do the same. The two carriers seem to mirror each other many times.

03-23-11 11:52 AM
    Well like Valorian stated above, the unlimited plans are going away. Eventually, you will have to move to a tiered plan.
    03-23-11 12:01 PM
    Oh I'm definitely not denying that. chances are that sometime in the future, VZW will make me move to a tiered plan.

I'm just saying that it's possible that they will follow AT&T's lead, at least for a while, in letting current customers keep what the have even when upgrading.
    03-23-11 12:54 PM
    If my crystal ball wasn't in the shop, I predict it would tell me that Verizon will not force people to go to a tiered plan until the AT&T / T-Mobile merger as completely blown over. Verizon will be hoping to lure more people away with its unlimited data until they pull the rug out from under them and force a tiered plan just like we are predicting now with the merger.

I also predict in time, the provider will have to raise their caps since at true 4G speed, you can blow through 5Gig in 32 minutes. Everyone is stating how much quicker 4G is, but if you aren't careful in how you use it, you will be getting one h**l of a bill at the end of the billing cycle.
    03-23-11 12:59 PM
    They may keep it up for a bit longer though until something happens with Sprint. Sprint is really pushing its "unlimited" line right now. VZW may lose some customers if they go to tiered while Sprint is still going with unlimited. Or maybe VZW doesn't really care or consider that a threat.

I'm pretty sure once 4G catches on (it's still a novelty right now), the caps will have to be raised. Maybe around 5GB? I always felt that was a fair limit. It is so easy to blow through data with 4G. I just got my Thunderbolt and I think I've probably blown through around 100MB today ALONE (granted, I'm still trying to get this thing set up). But people are going to be doing a lot of media-intensive stuff on 4G.
    03-23-11 01:06 PM
    You should he able to buy a new phone. Upgrade to an i5 and lose unlimited data, I don't think so.

03-23-11 01:07 PM
    You should he able to buy a new phone. Upgrade to an i5 and lose unlimited data, I don't think so.

That would be a nightmare for an iPhone person. Luckily, it seems that AT&T is letting people keep their old plans as long as they upgrade to another smartphone (not a dumbphone).
    03-23-11 01:08 PM
    I also predict in time, the provider will have to raise their caps since at true 4G speed, you can blow through 5Gig in 32 minutes. Everyone is stating how much quicker 4G is, but if you aren't careful in how you use it, you will be getting one h**l of a bill at the end of the billing cycle.
    More likely they will move to tiered plans, rather than raise the "unlimited" data caps... Note Sprint is different because WiMax rollout was pathetic and they don't have a massive customer base actually using WiMax (yet everyone was paying advanced data fees who had android phones), nor do they have nearly the same number of paid customers... If their numbers grew to what VZ was, you can guarantee something would change.

It's better $$ for them + better marketing (tiered data overages cost SIGNIFICANTLY less than non-tiered overages). That and unlimited data is a ticking timebomb at this point for everyone anyways...
    03-23-11 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD