04-24-08 01:08 PM
27 12
tools
    Is this true all providers?

Why would you even pay 39.99+24.99=$64.98 when you can get a iphone,which is massively cooler IMO, for just 59.99?

I'd rather just get a blackberry with no data plan, do any providers allow this?
    04-21-08 10:29 PM
    Go get your massively cool iphone let me know how it goes lol
    04-21-08 10:30 PM
    well if it's not massively cool, let me know why at least ?

Thing is with pearl, you the web page screen is so distorted from the normal full view you get on a pc or labtop. That's why I have paying for this data plan. Not to mention i don't really care that much for accessing the internet. all i care about is the media player.
    04-21-08 10:33 PM
    A friend did purchase a BB from AT&T without a data plan. He subsequently sold it.
    04-21-08 10:33 PM
    Iphone can't touch a berry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 10:34 PM
    Just keep trying different reps. There are folks here who are on BBs with no data plans I think.....it just seems like a waste though to not have one.
    If you want an iphone get an iphone.

It's not a waste to me--the main reason I got the blackberry is for the media player, which I use all day long.

I wanted a phone/mp3 combo, instead of having both.

And, I didn't really like the reviews on verizon's phones with media players so I got blackberry which I like except for this pricing thing.
    04-21-08 10:41 PM
    Dude you have no clue. Why get a BB if you are not going to get a data plan? It's like going to a dodger game and sitting in the parking lot the whole time. Go get an iphone.

04-21-08 10:44 PM
    It's not a waste to me--the main reason I got the blackberry is for the media player, which I use all day long.

I wanted a phone/mp3 combo, instead of having both.

And, I didn't really like the reviews on verizon's phones with media players so I got blackberry which I like except for this pricing thing.
    If you want a phone/mp3 combo, your best bet is an iPhone. iPhone was built to be a multimedia device centered around the a phone, music, and the internet. Plus, you'd get the added bonus of the very nice Safari browser that definitely is the best mobile browser to date.
    04-21-08 10:52 PM
    If you want a phone/mp3 combo, your best bet is an iPhone. iPhone was built to be a multimedia device centered around the a phone, music, and the internet. Plus, you'd get the added bonus of the very nice Safari browser that definitely is the best mobile browser to date.
    Yes, pick the phone that best suits you, but don't bash the particular phone this website supports.

There are a lot of people that like the Iphone, personally, I don't like anything apple, so I don't purchase their products. Show me how you change the battery out of your Iphone when and if it starts failing? Also, let me see you type with a better percentage of accuracy on its virtual keyboard rather than the Blackberry's QWERTY board.

To each his own. Research the phones and figure out for yourself which one will work for you.
    04-21-08 11:05 PM
    I love my BB but if you want an MP3 player and a phone & want to stay with Verizon you might look at the Voyager.
    04-21-08 11:11 PM
    I'm a person who never had a problem with the iPhone, and in fact really wanted one, however we did not have AT&T in my area until just recently. We're long-time Verizon customers so we didn't switch.

Phones have weaknesses and strengths and while the BB makes a fine media player, you're going to get much more bang for your buck with an iPhone as it's built as a media player/phone combo. BB is not made that way.
    04-21-08 11:11 PM
    is this an elaborate hoax
    04-21-08 11:20 PM
    Which part would be an elaborate hoax?
    04-21-08 11:25 PM
    Wait, you're with Verizon and just want a phone with MP3 capabilities mainly. Why not just get a Juke? A BB is not your average "smartphone". It's a subscription device... yep, that's right, you have to buy into RIM's network subscription to make it work. Think of it like sat radio, only with some downtimes. LOL

Now really, if you'd rather get an iPhone, at least wait until the 3G version comes out. Believe you me, you'll thank me later. The current iPhone is dog slow on browsing.

BTW, to everyone who hasn't figured out Apple's marketing scheme behind not making removable batteries for any of their devices... that's because the life expectancy of their products is about 2 years. Then a new version comes out and the fanboys spend more money to get the new stuff. Yeah, they do it on purpose.
    04-21-08 11:28 PM
    Wait, you're with Verizon and just want a phone with MP3 capabilities mainly. Why not just get a Juke? A BB is not your average "smartphone". It's a subscription device... yep, that's right, you have to buy into RIM's network subscription to make it work. Think of it like sat radio, only with some downtimes. LOL

Now really, if you'd rather get an iPhone, at least wait until the 3G version comes out. Believe you me, you'll thank me later. The current iPhone is dog slow on browsing.

BTW, to everyone who hasn't figured out Apple's marketing scheme behind not making removable batteries for any of their devices... that's because the life expectancy of their products is about 2 years. Then a new version comes out and the fanboys spend more money to get the new stuff. Yeah, they do it on purpose.
    Juke actually isn't a bad idea if one is just looking for music and a phone. My brother has one and it's pretty nice if you're looking for something mainly as a phone with a decent MP3 player.

Haha...but Apple's marketing scheme works, though the batteries can certainly last longer. I kept my iPod for a good three to four years with decent battery life before replacing it with a newer version in late 2007, simply because I wanted something new with more oomph (was using a B&W 20GB and wanted video). Also, with a closed battery design, it can make the products prettier (the iPod's seamless backs are beautiful...until scratched) and avoid mishaps with outside provider's batteries - which could ruin Apple rep (at least in their eyes).
    04-21-08 11:35 PM
    somebody wanting an i phone or bb for the media player. i guess it is one way to get a phone and an mp3 player. the expensive way. you just posted above. just trying to say the same thing. not very cost effective
    Last edited by shadygrady; 04-21-08 at 11:43 PM.
    04-21-08 11:40 PM
    If you want them together, then yes, it's an expensive route. It's the price you pay for pockets slightly less full.
    04-21-08 11:44 PM
    10-4. i believe id rather have my pockets more full.but its all about personal preferance. just glad theres so many options.
    04-21-08 11:54 PM
    Frankly, I can see getting the BB withOUT a data plan. I actually attempted to do so and canceled my first purchase when the rep and I got confused - I did not want the data plan. I wanted Qwerty and the organizer and I wanted a phone. With the rebate, corp discount and re-signing - the phone would cost $99.00. A week later I went for the phone and data, canceling my then "web" with Verizon and also killing txt so that the tradeoff was about $20/month more.
    04-22-08 12:37 AM
    well, here's the great debate:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/no-...87/index5.html

04-22-08 01:17 AM
    I think really the point is, if you can't afford the price of the data plan, maybe a smartphone is not a good choice. It's like saving all your money to buy a Ferrari, but once you actually own it, you can't pay for the maintenance on it. It's a silly circle, get another phone.

BTW, don't you need an AT&T data plan anyway for the iPhone to use it on the EDGE network for data? I know you can just do WiFi with it, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a smartphone in your pocket?
    04-22-08 10:32 AM
    The iPhone pretty much gives you one option - choosing your minutes. Data is required (any Apple plan comes with unlimited), and for obvious reasons.
    04-22-08 05:05 PM
    Honestly if you want something that does what a BB does and what an iphone does get a vx6700 or 6800. Granted they have WM, but they are awesome smartphone with a very good media player. Plus you can add your own media player of choice.
    04-24-08 12:54 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD