10-25-09 09:07 PM
97 1234
tools
    The fact that they listen, comprehend and respond appropriately is what makes them intelligent. Like I said, not every situation is so black and white, reps who realize this tend to better overall employees.
    Really? That's why customers love me haha.. I do understand their problems and sympathize, but what can I do? I'm no psychic so I use judgment.

Besides this is a billing issue and customer service can handle this. I deal with much harder to solve issues than premium sms..
    10-24-09 11:22 AM
    The original post said nothing of his son and I am not commenting on anything except the first post. So if you actually read that post you will certainly realize that it is a scam, no matter what you would like to believe. Several posts following the OP also say that it was a scam.

The fact that they listen, comprehend and respond appropriately is what makes them intelligent. Like I said, not every situation is so black and white, reps who realize this tend to better overall employees.
    All the OP said in his original post was that he received a message from a shortcode saying "Wake Up," and that he had no idea what it was. If you knew anything about shortcodes you wouldn't jump to the conclusion of it being a scam from that post alone, and you would get more details....

You and callmeox are the only ones saying its a scam, and that Verizon should be responsible... Everyone else was pretty much just saying how to get rid of it...

Either way... Verizon doesn't give your number out to these companies... So regardless of who is actually sending the messages... Its the OPs fault...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 10-24-09 at 02:49 PM.
    10-24-09 02:46 PM

Vocel Pill Phone

Wake Up and Reminder

Not a scam... But an actual application...

It starts with a Get It Now download...

How it got on his phone? I have no idea....

But not a scam...
    10-24-09 03:16 PM

Vocel Pill Phone

Wake Up and Reminder

Not a scam... But an actual application...

It starts with a Get It Now download...

How it got on his phone? I have no idea....

But not a scam...
    Finally some information on this short code! So maybe the OP downloaded Pill Phone?
    10-24-09 03:21 PM
    Finally some information on this short code! So maybe the OP downloaded Pill Phone?
    PILL PHONE!? what kind of dum thing is that...
    gawd...
    10-24-09 03:25 PM
    Its actually meant for old folks... Gives them medical reminders...

Its actually a Get It Now application...
    10-24-09 03:35 PM
    Its actually meant for old folks... Gives them medical reminders...

Its actually a Get It Now application...
    Yet another application people require us to hold their hand to walk through and use.
    10-24-09 03:42 PM
    Well...

I expect that typical... I "never did that" response when the OP reads it...

Will I believe it? No... But fortunately I don't have to deal with it or be the rep on the phone when he calls in about it...
    10-24-09 03:49 PM
    86235 - who calls me?

Seems it is an active little scammer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    @R.O.C.

Seems others think its also a scam, are you just gonna continue to deny the obvious?? You dont seem to bright to me pal.

Click on that link and you will see that plenty of others also think its a scam.
    10-24-09 05:24 PM
    @R.O.C.

Seems others think its also a scam, are you just gonna continue to deny the obvious?? You dont seem to bright to me pal.

Click on that link and you will see that plenty of others also think its a scam.
    Regardless of who said what it still is a short code related to an app in get it now. So... Obviously it isn't a scam. R.O.C. has access to short code information.

10-24-09 05:49 PM
    Get it Now is not available on Blackberry handsets.

Simple truth it, these guys send out SMS messages to random numbers in hopes of getting back a response so that they can charge them. Its a scam, plain and simple. Besides, Pill Phone is an application and it needs to be downloaded before SMS's can be signed up for. I think the OP and others would know if they downloaded it.
    Last edited by cenloe; 10-24-09 at 06:07 PM.
    10-24-09 06:03 PM
    Get it Now is not available on Blackberry handsets.

Simple truth it, these guys send out SMS messages to random numbers in hopes of getting back a response so that they can charge them. Its a scam, plain and simple. Besides, Pill Phone is an application and it needs to be downloaded before SMS's can be signed up for. I think the OP and others would know if they downloaded it.
    Most don't know what comes with a download or a simple quiz. They almost never read the fine print and wouldn't expect "wake up" to be one of the messages from Pill Phone.

Stop your conspiracy of this entire deal. Sure there are some shady short code systems. REPORT THEM.

This one seems to be legit if the information says so. You have idea what is really a scam and what isn't. Simple truth.
    10-24-09 06:10 PM
    Most don't know what comes with a download or a simple quiz. They almost never read the fine print and wouldn't expect "wake up" to be one of the messages from Pill Phone.

Stop your conspiracy of this entire deal. Sure there are some shady short code systems. REPORT THEM.

This one seems to be legit if the information says so. You have idea what is really a scam and what isn't. Simple truth.
    If what information says so?? Give us some proof or its B.S.
    10-24-09 06:11 PM
    Okay - go login to InfoManager and pull up the list of short codes.
    10-24-09 06:14 PM
    @R.O.C.

I wrote what I said based on what little info there was at the time - I don't have access to VZW's list of short codes, so my info was speculative.

It seems to have been shown it is not a scam, therefore my earlier comment is invalid.

10-24-09 06:56 PM
    @R.O.C.

Are you really still trying to make an argument?

You, and all those people posting at that link, have no idea what it is...

A bunch of random people coming up with their best ideas of what it may be, means absolutely nothing...

All of them, and obviously you as well, are completely ignorant of this whole situation, and are just agreeing with the most popular idea at the time, that makes the most sense to you, and doesn't put you at fault...

Before, some people agreed with you and you thought that gave your argument more credibility...

Now, no one agrees with you, and you're arguing with people who not only know how the systems work, but also have access to find out what the exact source of this PSMS is.

And you say I don't seem too bright?
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 10-24-09 at 08:11 PM.
    10-24-09 07:58 PM
    Right....

So now that your arguments hold no water...

You want proof... Pathetic...

What do you want? A high-res screen shot of the Verizon system showing every little word?...

Do you want someone to break policy and show off the proprietary systems that show what these PSMS charges are?

You were given what all customers are given... The application and how to stop it....
    10-24-09 08:16 PM
    I think what it all boils down to is everyone needs to tale responsibility for their own actions - if it is something that costs you money, oh well, too bad. Maybe you won't do it next time.

If you want a nanny state, where companies aren't allowed to make money and only the government is allowed to rip you off, there is always Cuba, Iran or North Korea.

You want the phone company to protect you? That isn't their business. The minute VZW or any carrier started arbitrarily blocking short codes, a ton of people would then start screaming about them being blocked.

Hello, VZW? I didn't mean to make that 90 minute phone call to Moscow - why are you so evil as to not block those? Hello, AT&T? I didn't mean to call that 900 number six times. Why do you try to rip me off? Hello Sprint? Why did you let my daughter call American Idol 270 times? Are you crooks? Hello, T-Mobile? I didn't want my roommate downloading 47 ringtones. I only told her to download 5, you thieves! Hello AOL? Why didn't you stop me from responding to those male enhancement emails? It was either you or MasterCard's fault for the $300 credit card charge. Both of you are ripoffs! Hello, USCell? Why did you tempt me with all of those fee-based downloads? You are criminal!

Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

Suck it up, admit your mistake & pay up, if necessary. Only the ignorant can be scammed & no amount of protections can save you from yourself.

10-24-09 08:55 PM
    You and callmeox are the only ones saying its a scam, and that Verizon should be responsible... Everyone else was pretty much just saying how to get rid of it...

Either way... Verizon doesn't give your number out to these companies... So regardless of who is actually sending the messages... Its the OPs fault...
    My BB pin has never been published anywhere in public. The other day I got a BB messenger invite from someone with a familiar first name. I accepted and when I found out that they were a stranger and they would not divulge where they got my PIN, I blocked them. How did they get my PIN? Guesswork?

It's not difficult to guess blocks of mobile phone numbers, especially with the reverse lookup tools on the internet. It is not far fetched that scammers would fish around for folks like that.
    10-24-09 09:16 PM
    My BB pin has never been published anywhere in public. The other day I got a BB messenger invite from someone with a familiar first name. I accepted and when I found out that they were a stranger and they would not divulge where they got my PIN, I blocked them. How did they get my PIN? Guesswork?

It's not difficult to guess blocks of mobile phone numbers, especially with the reverse lookup tools on the internet. It is not far fetched that scammers would fish around for folks like that.
    I've had several people add me to BB messenger and I had no clue who they were. It's called a typo and a mistake. Just like you can call the wrong number.

How many PINs in the world do you think are out there? I've never gotten a strange short code - I think if this was a big scam that goes on I would have had one by now.

Oh and by the way -- your point is moot to this conversation.
    10-24-09 09:43 PM
    I've had several people add me to BB messenger and I had no clue who they were. It's called a typo and a mistake. Just like you can call the wrong number.

How many PINs in the world do you think are out there? I've never gotten a strange short code - I think if this was a big scam that goes on I would have had one by now.

Oh and by the way -- your point is moot to this conversation.
    Great logic you have there. Have you ever been bitten by an elephant? No? Does this somehow prove to you that elephants don't bite? Have you ever been struck by lightning or perhaps a meteorite? If not, then I guess that it means that it isn't possible.

Read the post that I quoted. "Verizon doesn't give your number out to these companies"

Verizon didn't have to give them the number. Mobile phone numbers are easily guessed. If Verizon agrees to work with companies with questionable business practices and things go south, bummer that.

Oh, the guy who added me on BBM was looking for me to be his "friend". Not a typo, a fishing expedition perhaps, but not a typo.
    10-24-09 09:57 PM
    So what are you trying to say exactly? If you have some real ideas on how VZW can prevent spam messages, then please - go interview for a project manager position on the matter.

They cannot prevent unwanted companies from contacting you no more than you can keep spam from hitting your inbox. If you want to report these short code companies, then do it through the proper channels. CSCA and the FCC being two good starts.

Again - your BBM pin example doesn't offer anything to this entire thread. It is no different than me calling a line range to randomly find a person to talk to. Or how about me randomly going to someone's house to see if they want to go hang out.
    10-24-09 10:03 PM
    Verizon didn't have to give them the number. Mobile phone numbers are easily guessed. If Verizon agrees to work with companies with questionable business practices and things go south, bummer that.

Oh, the guy who added me on BBM was looking for me to be his "friend". Not a typo, a fishing expedition perhaps, but not a typo.
    Fine - if this stuff is so difficult to deal with, understand & not respond to, turn off your phones, don't get magazines, cancel your CATV & electric & go off the grid.

It is known in the industry that RIM is not the most protective of the info they have - maybe you need to drop BlackBerry. It is also well-known that your bank & utility companies sell your information. It is known that websites have scripts which sniff for your information - Google is exceptional at this. It is also well-known that the majority of people online are not very intelligent in their security.

Ever posted your info on Facebook, Twitter or MySpace? Maybe you clicked through on a Google ad. You set yourself up to be scammed, slammed, spammed & bothered.

At any given moment, I have 8-14 working & active phones in my case & one or two on my side. I haven't been scammed once.

So maybe it is you?

10-24-09 10:10 PM
    I've not been scammed. I'm careful though I'm not naive enough to believe that it won't happen eventually. My skeptical nature serves me well in my chosen profession and I think it protects me from this stuff too. Eventually I'll let my guard down or won't understand a technology and I'll get mine, too.

I'm simply taking up the side of those who may have been scammed against the "it is the customers fault" group think.
    10-24-09 10:39 PM
    I've not been scammed. I'm careful though I'm not naive enough to believe that it won't happen eventually. My skeptical nature serves me well in my chosen profession and I think it protects me from this stuff too. Eventually I'll let my guard down or won't understand a technology and I'll get mine, too.

I'm simply taking up the side of those who may have been scammed against the "it is the customers fault" group think.
    Scott - do you still work off 12th and Chester?

10-24-09 10:42 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD