10-25-09 09:07 PM
97 1234
tools
    Nope, your are incorrect. Never happened to me, I know better. I have seen it happen to people, those who sign up for "Free Text Messages" or ringtones without reading the fine print deserve to have to pay. I'm specifically talking about the OP's example and those like it. It is obviously a scam and those customers suckered into these scams shouldn't have to pay.

Looks like most others agree with me and your opinion is in the minority.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It doesn't matter if anyone agrees with me. Unlike you I don't get any pleasure from having the most popular say on things. I couldn't care less. However my "opinions" are backed by credit and adjustment policies with VZW.

10-23-09 11:12 PM
    It is obviously a scam and those customers suckered into these scams shouldn't have to pay.
    Not quite - these things are often generated by clicking popup or banner ads, then entering your phone number.

The short code above is exactly that - person goes online, enters their phone number, didn't read the fine print (people online are so stupid - most don't even have up-to-date AV or privacy guards in place) & got the confirmation text - WAKEUP! - responded to it & got charged.

Stupidity or carelessness does not relieve you of charges.

So its ok for the consumer WHO NEVER AGREED TO THE CHARGES to pay for them? Your logic is flawed buddy.

There is no fine print with a text that reads "Wake Up".
    No - you misread the FCC text included with your device that said you're responsible for all charges, intentional or not.

Open Internet means more of this is coming. Play with short codes, online ringtones, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc. & you could be screwed.

You have to reply to these things - once you do that, your carrier has you dead to rights.

10-23-09 11:13 PM
    @tsguy52

I knew you had to work for Verizon. You sound like the Barney Fife of VZW.

I have seen charges like these removed again and again from reasonable and intelligent VZW reps. Again, I will say that if its the customers fault then he should pay. its all a matter of common sense. Not everything is so black and white.

10-23-09 11:22 PM
    Not quite - these things are often generated by clicking popup or banner ads, then entering your phone number.

The short code above is exactly that - person goes online, enters their phone number, didn't read the fine print (people online are so stupid - most don't even have up-to-date AV or privacy guards in place) & got the confirmation text - WAKEUP! - responded to it & got charged.

Stupidity or carelessness does not relieve you of charges.

No - you misread the FCC text included with your device that said you're responsible for all charges, intentional or not.

Open Internet means more of this is coming. Play with short codes, online ringtones, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc. & you could be screwed.

You have to reply to these things - once you do that, your carrier has you dead to rights.

Oh I agree Twins. If you carelessly end up subscribing to these premium SMS's then you deserve to pay. Its when the owners of these short codes come calling to you in hopes that they can trick you into subscribing that I have a problem.

10-23-09 11:26 PM
    @tsguy52

I have seen charges like these removed again and again from reasonable and intelligent VZW reps. Again, I will say that if its the customers fault then he should pay. its all a matter of common sense. Not everything is so black and white.

And of course you say that, because that could be your only comeback.

So tell me genius -- how are we to know if the customer is being honest or not? How are we going to know when the OP just posted a thread to see if he could get out of his contract because of obvious data usage? You have to be smart to play the game. Sorry if giving into every customer who says "I didn't buy that" doesn't make me "intelligent."

This one time I had a customer say they NEVER signed up for this short code and then I asked them if they took the IQ quiz on Facebook. Guess what? They did. Their fault for not reading the fine print.

I do agree that customers should be given a break when it comes to unsolicited Premium SMS. This can also be the case if the customer just obtained the phone number and the short code service was still sending crap to the number. However, this cannot be repeated each month.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 10-23-09 at 11:32 PM.
    10-23-09 11:27 PM
    Oh I agree Twins. If you carelessly end up subscribing to these premium SMS's then you deserve to pay. Its when the owners of these short codes come calling to you in hopes that they can trick you into subscribing that I have a problem.

No one here works with a short code service. So next time you or someone else has a charge you should call the 1-800 number VZW can provide you with. Call the short code service and demand a refund. It is not a problem that we can fix. Giving you credits and adjustments don't fix the actual PROBLEM. Oh I'm sorry I guess my intelligence left me when I said fixing the problem.
    10-23-09 11:28 PM
    From my experince in the past with my son's phone signing up for game cheats or joke of the day txt since I am the person paying the bill and did not authorize these they have reversed the charges. For the person/s saying i must have entered my number some where, no I have not but that is not to say it is not out there as well. Being my only phone and using sites like careerbuilder my cell number is out there. Not blaming careerbuilder but using as an example. Also this looks like it maybe a scam. If it is a scam for them to have basically an auto-dialer type software to send out txt messages does not seem to far fetched.
    10-23-09 11:32 PM
    From my experince in the past with my son's phone signing up for game cheats or joke of the day txt since I am the person paying the bill and did not authorize these they have reversed the charges. For the person/s saying i must have entered my number some where, no I have not but that is not to say it is not out there as well. Being my only phone and using sites like careerbuilder my cell number is out there. Not blaming careerbuilder but using as an example. Also this looks like it maybe a scam. If it is a scam for them to have basically an auto-dialer type software to send out txt messages does not seem to far fetched.
    Be glad you are now with VZW and you can prevent those unauthorized problems by your son. Again - you can block that by adding the feature to your account.

I'm sure every parent would like to have an easy out by saying "I didn't authorize my son."

"I didn't authorize my son to make break that window so I'm not responsible!"

Who needs premium sms anyway? Aren't you people using BlackBerry's?
    10-23-09 11:37 PM
    So tell me genius -- how are we to know if the customer is being honest or not? How are we going to know when the OP just posted a thread to see if he could get out of his contract because of obvious data usage? You have to be smart to play the game. Sorry if giving into every customer who says "I didn't buy that" doesn't make me "intelligent."
    FYI TSGuy, i started the other post not as an attempt to get out of my contract with VZW but to let others who may want out a way to do so. I have talked to 4 CSRs with VZW to work out the problem and never once talked about getting out of my contract but to fix a billing issue before there is overages.

I am in a very small town 2x a week in AZ where the only service that works is with VZW. My son who lives there is on my plan (read this post you are talking about) so why would I want to leave VZW and cripple my ability to talk to him?

And why trust the OP? He may do this just to stir things up? Yes TSGuy I have nothing better to do then this. That is why on the other post I give a link with several other people having the same problem with several 100's of dollars in overages. This issue with the post earlier in this thread does look to be a new issue. The OP of that thread at this time posted less then 5 hrs ago. So yes I decided to find 2 random issues, one brand new, just to stir the pot and get people all wild up, cmon get real.
    10-23-09 11:41 PM
    FYI TSGuy, i started the other post not as an attempt to get out of my contract with VZW but to let others who may want out a way to do so. I have talked to 4 CSRs with VZW to work out the problem and never once talked about getting out of my contract but to fix a billing issue before there is overages.

I am in a very small town 2x a week in AZ where the only service that works is with VZW. My son who lives there is on my plan (read this post you are talking about) so why would I want to leave VZW and cripple my ability to talk to him?

And why trust the OP? He may do this just to stir things up? Yes TSGuy I have nothing better to do then this. That is why on the other post I give a link with several other people having the same problem with several 100's of dollars in overages. This issue with the post earlier in this thread does look to be a new issue. The OP of that thread at this time posted less then 5 hrs ago. So yes I decided to find 2 random issues, one brand new, just to stir the pot and get people all wild up, cmon get real.
    So why did you even ask if it was a possible early out of the contract if you weren't thinking about it?

We have told you what the cause of the numbers showing up on your bill. Nothing wrong with billing, but something to do with the phone.

Then you start this thread to say that your getting random texts and expected the charges to be removed if you're charged.

Both posts dealt with crediting your account so that's how the connection was made. Wasn't meant to be personal - sorry if it was. I only meant to show that you have to question everyone's motive to make a reasonable decision.
    10-23-09 11:48 PM
    Its either their fault or their childrens fault. Reply "stop" and they have to leave you alone. An adult should know by now to read the fine print.

10-23-09 11:52 PM
    10-23-09 11:55 PM
    So why did you even ask if it was a possible early out of the contract if you weren't thinking about it?

We have told you what the cause of the numbers showing up on your bill. Nothing wrong with billing, but something to do with the phone.

Then you start this thread to say that your getting random texts and expected the charges to be removed if you're charged.

Both posts dealt with crediting your account so that's how the connection was made. Wasn't meant to be personal - sorry if it was. I only meant to show that you have to question everyone's motive to make a reasonable decision.

We have told you or you have told you? The people wearing the VZW badge in the store the other day sure did seem to think there was an issue just not sure where.

When did i talk about getting a credit for this? I believe i asked what it was. I have no problem paying for a mistake on my part even if its a stupid one. I know how and when to admit i'm wrong. Go check the other post and you will see that. I apologized when i got pissing with some one there when i was upset with the vzw support.

Read the posts...all of them before you comment on what you think i said
    10-23-09 11:57 PM

Figure out reality before you lie down with the dogs & make yourself sound foolish with your ill-informed words.

Reality, indeed.

Here's a VZW press release regarding a 2009 agreement to pay the state of Florida a busload of cash as a penalty for premium service practices.

McCollum Reaches Multi-Million Dollar Settlement with Verizon Wireless over "Free" Ringtones - FierceWireless

An excerpt from the press release:

Verizon Wireless has agreed to first-of- their-kind standards for advertising on websites, prohibiting the use of the word "free" without clear disclosure of the actual price and requiring all content providers and advertisers to clearly and conspicuously disclose the true cost of cell phone content. These compliance standards, which include website design restrictions for online advertisers, will ensure consumers see and understand the terms and conditions of the purchase. Verizon Wireless will enforce these new standards through its contracts with all content providers and advertisers nationwide.

-----------------------------

Contracts with providers? Requirements that content providers disclose true cost? That can't be. We have been told that "They don't enter into agreements."

Who are we to believe?
    Last edited by callmeox; 10-24-09 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Splitting my comments more clearly from the presser
    10-23-09 11:59 PM
    We have told you or you have told you? The people wearing the VZW badge in the store the other day sure did seem to think there was an issue just not sure where.

When did i talk about getting a credit for this? I believe i asked what it was. I have no problem paying for a mistake on my part even if its a stupid one. I know how and when to admit i'm wrong. Go check the other post and you will see that. I apologized when i got pissing with some one there when i was upset with the vzw support.

Read the posts...all of them before you comment on what you think i said
    Yeah I read the posts.. Here is your credit reference:

not worried about a 9.99 charger. Altell had always been good with removing them when my son was signing up for things, i'd hope vzw would be too
    10-24-09 12:02 AM
    Yes I said I would hope they would be good about removing them. It is not what the original post was about. Another poster brought up charges and i commented on it. The topic of this thread is not how do i get credit to my account for a weird txt message it was what is this txt message. No one knows there may not be any charges. This is something new. Again I was asking if anyone knew what it was. At the original time of post there was nothing on it that I could find on google. Knowing the CB community its a bunch of phone geeks (I say that with love) and hoped they may know what it was.

If there is charges yes I hope VZW will remove them, wouldn't you if you were charged for something you didn't know you would be charged for? Did I ask will they remove the charges? No again I asked what these txt messages were
    10-24-09 12:07 AM
    Either way you implied that VZW would refund these charges. So that's where the credit comment came from..

No need to make this simple thread anymore complex than it is.

If you didn't receive any information about billing, then chances are you won't be charged a dime for it. I hope that you're not. And if it were me, then yes I would also call and raise **** about it haha.. Most of my comments were directed toward the principle that was argued by cenloe and callmeox - not you personally.
    10-24-09 12:14 AM
    Something to think of...

The TS reps have to deal with PSMS charges on a daily basis... And 99% of the people will give the usual "I never did signed up for that" response, or something similar...

After closer investigation, 95% of those will be legitimate charges, where a double opt-in is required to begin the service in the first place...

Now.... A lot of times, a rep will give a goodwill credit the first time this happens, and will tell the customer about how to prevent it and let them know they can have the feature blocked... And that'll be that....

Now the situation with this OP is different...

The OP first made a thread about data calls, which also, for the most part, will be legitimate 95%+ percent of the time...

So then the OP makes a thread about a strange message from a short code....

Then, in that thread, the OP makes a comment about how his son "signs up for these things..." Usually at this point flags tend to go off in your head, especially to a TS rep who has to deal with these situations on a daily basis...

Now... I'm not trying to accuse the OP of anything here... Just simply stating how one may easily see his situation as being an issue he created...

I'm specifically talking about the OP's example and those like it. It is obviously a scam and those customers suckered into these scams
    shouldn't have to pay.
    So... The OP stated that his son "signs up for these things," then his number somehow is texted by a short code. Doesn't sound like a scam, and it also doesn't sound like the OP got suckered...

@tsguy52

I have seen charges like these removed again and again from reasonable and intelligent VZW reps.
    The comment about him working for Verizon is just ignorant...

He works for the company and knows the policy and how these charges occur... So you insult instead of making a valid argument...

And as for seeing the charges removed... What makes the reps so reasonable and intelligent? The fact that they give in to an issue the customer probably caused?

To go along with what I said earlier, I don't have a problem with customers getting credited the money the first time it happens, then educated on how PSMS works...

But the reps who give in and credit aren't necessarily reasonable and intelligent, but maybe just lazy...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 10-24-09 at 03:12 AM.
    10-24-09 03:08 AM

Then, in that thread, the OP makes a comment about how his son "signs up for these things..." Usually at this point flags tend to go off in your head, especially a TS rep who has to deal with these situations on a daily basis...
    @ROC or anyone else that wants to try and jump on this as me trying to screw VZW Yes I gave my son a phone did not explain about not text these thing and had him sign up for these things. This was well over a yr ago. I stated that I am receiving these text, not my son. You and TS need to get over this whole idea of me trying to scam VZW. I am basically a new customer with them after being with Alltel for maybe about 8 yrs. Whether these issues I have going on in my other thread are a change in billing, issues with my son's phone or any other problem is one thing this is another. As a new VZW customer if I have questions about my bill or differences between how VZW and Alltel bill them I am allowed to ask these questions, get it straightened out and fixed. If it is a change to the contract others have the right to know as well as they may want to get out of their contracts. If you read the link I provided in the other thread you will see that it is an issue for others and it is causing them to going over their minutes and having several $100 in overages. Wouldn't you prefer to get this resolved before you are slammed with overage fews? On the usage chart on the VZW site it states it is data and every rep i have spoken to states that it is data. The question is what type of data? Now if you want to be as ignorant as one VZW rep was. Say it is my son access the web several times an hour for several hours a day for only 1 minute because it is in his pocket while the phone is in the house and he is in school then you can just be a dumb ***. Now if you want to except there is a problem with many other people on both issues then great lets hear some ideas. Other wise go to ****.

For anyone reading this and is confused about the other issue here is the link to it and the link to others having the same issue as well

Other Thread/
    Others having same issue stated in above thread
    Last edited by AllGood; 10-24-09 at 03:28 AM.
    10-24-09 03:20 AM
    If you read my post, you would have seen where I said that I am not accusing you of anything... Simply stating that I could see how one may perceive your situation...
    10-24-09 03:34 AM
    If you read my post, you would have seen where I said that I am not accusing you of anything... Simply stating that I could see how one may perceive your situation...
    @ROC
    May not be accusing of nothing but the way one may perceive it is that you are.

Now this has gotten way off topic and become a bitchfest. If anyone has any other knowledge of what this number and text is about great lets hear it other was don't speak.
    10-24-09 03:37 AM
    You're joking right?

I accused you in the other thread about data calls...

I don't need to accuse you in this thread...

Its a Premium SMS... Hasn't that been made clear?

Send "STOP" or "CANCEL" or "UNSUBSCRIBE" back to the number, and it'll disappear...

If you want to know exactly what it is, you would have to call Verizon, and they can search it by the short code, and tell you exactly what it's for...
    10-24-09 03:47 AM
    Did you always have that number or did verizon give you a new number because when I went to verizon the person who had my number before had all there 9.99 subscriptions and verizon originally wanted me to pay for them

10-24-09 10:06 AM
    So... The OP stated that his son "signs up for these things," then his number somehow is texted by a short code. Doesn't sound like a scam, and it also doesn't sound like the OP got suckered...

But the reps who give in and credit aren't necessarily reasonable and intelligent, but maybe just lazy...
    The original post said nothing of his son and I am not commenting on anything except the first post. So if you actually read that post you will certainly realize that it is a scam, no matter what you would like to believe. Several posts following the OP also say that it was a scam.

The fact that they listen, comprehend and respond appropriately is what makes them intelligent. Like I said, not every situation is so black and white, reps who realize this tend to better overall employees.
    10-24-09 10:45 AM
    This is very ironic... I just looked on my VZW bill and one of my secondary lines (used by one of my friends) has $20 in data charges. Guess what they were from? Premium SMS! haha

Guess he'll have to pay up! Of course he had no knowledge of how it got there and then quickly blamed it on his gf..
    10-24-09 11:17 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD