1.) Why can't CDMA handle both Data and Voice at the same time like GSM? I was just wondering what the flaw was since CDMA seems to be the dominant. Could this change with 4g?

2.) I think I read somewhere in these forums that if you call Verizon about service problems they will sometimes waive the Network Extender fee. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? I have a friend that just joined Verizon because T-mobile did not work in her city and Verizons map said they did but when she got the phone it did not. (My BlackBerry works in her town but not the Verizon phone she got)
    Last edited by lyoko37; 02-27-09 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    02-27-09 08:32 PM
    1.) Why can't CMDA handle both Data and Voice at the same time like GSM? I was just wondering what the flaw was since CMDA seems to be the dominant. Could this change with 4g?
    CDMA EV-DO (EVolution Data Only) is much faster, more secure & more expensive to implement than is GSM. The next stage of it would be CDMA EV-DV (EVolution Data Voice) which would allow both data & voice. Unfortunately, EV-DV appears stillborn.

2.) I think I read somewhere in these forums that if you call Verizon about service problems they will sometimes waive the Network Extender fee. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? I have a friend that just joined Verizon because T-mobile did not work in her city and Verizons map said they did but when she got the phone it did not. (My BlackBerry works in her town but not the Verizon phone she got)
    Usually not, as far as I know - this is because VZW doesn't charge monthly for it. Since your BB is VZW, there may be an issue with her phone.
    02-27-09 10:14 PM
    Thanks. After I posted this I researched something called "LTE" is the Storm compatible when that becomes major?
    02-27-09 10:27 PM
    Nope, you will need a LTE handset for that...not sure any exist at the moment other than the odd prototype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 11:08 PM
    There are no LTE phones available at the moment outside of a few test areas. LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. VZW purchased the 700MHz frequency and is rolling it out as I write this. It will be functional in some markets by the end of this year.

Contrary to popular speculation, LTE devices on VZW will probably not be able to roam on AT&T LTE networks (if and when AT&T moves on LTE) or vice-versa. As it is right now, AT&T may be 2-3 years away from LTE & T-Mobile may be further out.

LTE will be capable of replacing your home broadband, running at over twice the current speed of the fastest home-based fiber-optic connections, 6-10 times faster than cable & 8-240 times faster than DSL.

02-28-09 12:19 AM
    There are no LTE phones available at the moment outside of a few test areas. LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. VZW purchased the 700MHz frequency and is rolling it out as I write this. It will be functional in some markets by the end of this year.

Contrary to popular speculation, LTE devices on VZW will probably not be able to roam on AT&T LTE networks (if and when AT&T moves on LTE) or vice-versa. As it is right now, AT&T may be 2-3 years away from LTE & T-Mobile may be further out.

LTE will be capable of replacing your home broadband, running at over twice the current speed of the fastest home-based fiber-optic connections, 6-10 times faster than cable & 8-240 times faster than DSL.

Nice, but will this remove 5GB limit for tethereing, modems, and Aircards?
    02-28-09 08:00 AM
    Nice, but will this remove 5GB limit for tethereing, modems, and Aircards?
    I would think so - especially when there is talk around that VZW will market it just for that purpose.

Then again, they could offer a truly unlimited plan for non-mobile use, then a mobile plan. Like all services, LTE speed drops off in mobile usage. If this happens, prepare for the worst - every Tom, **** & Harry will be screaming that their carrier is a ripoff because they couldn't pay $25 for broadband & drive across town with it.

The technology is such that your stationary service could be limited to within 250ft of your address. More than likely though, you'd be assigned to a home tower triangulation area and nothing more. No tower handoffs for the home users. )
    02-28-09 12:12 PM
    vB's word nanny is one of the dumbest on the planet.

Dick, as in RICHARD!!!
    02-28-09 12:15 PM

Why wouldnt you be able to roam on other networks? It would be the same technology. If you couldnt roam on AT&T then you wouldnt be able to roam on any international networks either. I thought the whole point of most of the worlds wireless carriers gravitating towards the same 4G technology (LTE) would be so that we could have global usage.
    03-01-09 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD