10-13-09 02:38 AM
51 123
tools
    I read on some tech review site within the past week a wonderful article on selecting the "right" phone for you. It advised that you analyze your individual uses of the phone and then choose the device that was strong in those areas. I'm not sure there are a lot on these forums that really do that. They seem to want "it all", without actually realizing they may not "use" or "need" it all.

I think Twins did say something to that effect in an earlier post, also. Great advice, I say.

None of us want to buy a device and then up hating it, or having it not perform to it's billing. But, rarely is anything perfect. There will always be some issues with any phone that we'd rather not be there. Choices. That is what we are given, and it is up to each of us to figure out what is best...whether it be for a phone, or a car or whatever.

BTW, just casual observation of people I see in public around me is that most of them carry a flip-phone from various manufacturers. A few are carrying the Curve 8330. I saw one with an HTC TP (not the new one). One lady I talked to, who is a working professional, just acquired a Razr and she seemed happy with it. She stated she had given some thought to getting a BB, but the carrier she is with did not have them. When I informed her that there was a carrier here in town that did have the Curve, and that Verizon was opening here in 9 days and she could have the choice of several BB's, she just replied that it really didn't matter to her what phone she had. I have this feeling that those of us on these boards are in the minority. Most people just don't give that much thought to the phone they will get....or to their carrier. They just go with what is the least expensive without knowing much at all about service or function.

I, myself, don't fit the mold for delving into such matters as deeply as I do. I am over 60, female and am not a corporate employee. I'm not a computer tech, nor have any training in any tech field whatsoever. I travel a lot..for business, not pleasure...and my phone is my lifeline to home and to clients, and in case of emergency, is needed to find help. I will soon be a Verizon customer, when the Altell transition is finalized next week. I am not under contract at the moment...and plan to purchase outright to get a new phone. It will not be a BB.
    10-10-09 09:13 PM
    > I have this feeling that those of us on these boards are in the minority. Most people just don't give that much thought to the phone they will get.<

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that 40% of cell phone users have smart phone, and by 2011 it will jump to 80%

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 08:32 AM
    > I have this feeling that those of us on these boards are in the minority. Most people just don't give that much thought to the phone they will get.<

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that 40% of cell phone users have smart phone, and by 2011 it will jump to 80%

Good analysis... mostly because of the fact that smartphones are "in"
    I dont bost ( I dont think ) to say that smart phones are the way to go.

Take my family for example.
    I would NEVER push my bf into a blackberry. He's not techy by any means... and rarely checks his email; his computer usage consists of WoW and other online games. He loves to text and to get forwards so he's got an EnV2 and loves it.
    My daughter is 9 and requires a phone for me to keep tabs on her. Shes got an LG VX8300. She uses about 30min a month and about 100 texts.
    Myself; I will completely admit that in some ways I got a blackberry to have a new tech toy to play with and to know the in's and out's in order to properly support them in my job. I utilize all the bells and whistles in my daily life as a mom and advanced tech. I would be lost without the calender and the reminders. I love having tunes at the push of a button and being able to hop onto google maps when I cant find the street that my daughters latest birthday party is located.
    I'm not going to recommend a blackberry to someone who just needs a phone number. I wont even recommend text to someone if they arent going to use it.
    This is why I would not fit into a sales position. Its more headache for me when someone contacts me who cant find the menu button on their new blackberry tour. Also headache when I get someone who THINKS they are a tech genius and try to upgrade to an unauthorized OS or messes up a simple download from app world.
    I wish that sales reps in stores would give a questionaire on what you use a phone for and what you require to be happy with a phone.
    I wish that kids would stop getting mom and dad or grandma and grandpa blackberrys or HTCs or Moto Qs or whatever and they have NO clue how to utilize the functions. I can tell when I get an older individual who got a phone from their kid or grandkid and they are completely embarressed and confused that they cant work the phone.
    its not their fault.
    I analyzed long and hard my folks usage before I recommended phones. My father tops 10min a month in calls and maybe 50 text ( mostly recieved from my mom )
    My mother; is 54yrs old and loves to learn new things. She's not exactly tech minded but she will try to figure it out and loves to learn to do things on her own.
    She went from a kryocera flipper phone with qwest to an Env2. She looves the qwerty keypad. She uses well over 1500 texts a month; and talks about 4000 m2m min. She uses the camera well and was delighted when I taught her to send the pictures to her online album and then to save them from there to her hard drive. She's excited about the Env3 and I've even hinted that that she could have my curve when I upgrade. She'd utilize it with her 300 emails a day.
    Its basically a need to analyze what you use and need a phone for... not what is hot and "in"
    I'm excited about the S2 but since I cant get it till april it will give me time to decide whether I WANT it or whether I want to THROW it.

AAAaaaand I'm done.
    10-11-09 09:38 AM
    Good analysis... mostly because of the fact that smartphones are "in"
    I dont bost ( I dont think ) to say that smart phones are the way to go.

Take my family for example.
    I would NEVER push my bf into a blackberry. He's not techy by any means... and rarely checks his email; his computer usage consists of WoW and other online games. He loves to text and to get forwards so he's got an EnV2 and loves it.
    My daughter is 9 and requires a phone for me to keep tabs on her. Shes got an LG VX8300. She uses about 30min a month and about 100 texts.
    Myself; I will completely admit that in some ways I got a blackberry to have a new tech toy to play with and to know the in's and out's in order to properly support them in my job. I utilize all the bells and whistles in my daily life as a mom and advanced tech. I would be lost without the calender and the reminders. I love having tunes at the push of a button and being able to hop onto google maps when I cant find the street that my daughters latest birthday party is located.
    I'm not going to recommend a blackberry to someone who just needs a phone number. I wont even recommend text to someone if they arent going to use it.
    This is why I would not fit into a sales position. Its more headache for me when someone contacts me who cant find the menu button on their new blackberry tour. Also headache when I get someone who THINKS they are a tech genius and try to upgrade to an unauthorized OS or messes up a simple download from app world.
    I wish that sales reps in stores would give a questionaire on what you use a phone for and what you require to be happy with a phone.
    I wish that kids would stop getting mom and dad or grandma and grandpa blackberrys or HTCs or Moto Qs or whatever and they have NO clue how to utilize the functions. I can tell when I get an older individual who got a phone from their kid or grandkid and they are completely embarressed and confused that they cant work the phone.
    its not their fault.
    I analyzed long and hard my folks usage before I recommended phones. My father tops 10min a month in calls and maybe 50 text ( mostly recieved from my mom )
    My mother; is 54yrs old and loves to learn new things. She's not exactly tech minded but she will try to figure it out and loves to learn to do things on her own.
    She went from a kryocera flipper phone with qwest to an Env2. She looves the qwerty keypad. She uses well over 1500 texts a month; and talks about 4000 m2m min. She uses the camera well and was delighted when I taught her to send the pictures to her online album and then to save them from there to her hard drive. She's excited about the Env3 and I've even hinted that that she could have my curve when I upgrade. She'd utilize it with her 300 emails a day.
    Its basically a need to analyze what you use and need a phone for... not what is hot and "in"
    I'm excited about the S2 but since I cant get it till april it will give me time to decide whether I WANT it or whether I want to THROW it.

AAAaaaand I'm done.
    Very, very good post. I completely agree on multiple levels. I don't think everyone needs a smartphone, I know that my mom for example would be completely lost with something like that. Good post.
    10-11-09 10:05 AM
    *takes a bow*
    I think I'm learning a thing or two from twinz.
    But completely true.
    I think of it like this. The little old lady on the other line is MY grandma... how would I treat her? Not with malise or impatience. But respectfully and knowing that the person who either sold her the phone or purchased the phone for her didnt give her that same courtesy.
    I will admit that it chaffes my panties to show my mom new things sometimes; but I keep my patience with it and let her do it... keeping the desire to hip bump her off the computer chair to myself.
    I think of that when I'm helping ANYONE. especially with things I can easily do myself via an admin site or whatnot. If I can walk them through and SHOW them that they can do it. They wont call back in... or maybe they will because they forgot how to do it... but at least they have that self service option.
    10-11-09 12:28 PM
    Here at home, my role is reversed with my 30 yr. old son. I show HIM the latest phone technology, and help guide him on what phone he needs.

But, I do feel I am the oddity in this respect.

I don't call tech support unless I REALLY have researched any issue and cannot find a solution.

Oh, and I am one of those that will put a leaked OS on my phone. I don't complain one iota if all isn't working the same or something is out of kilter..I figure it's part of the territory.
    10-11-09 01:58 PM
    Nowhere close - the Gartner Group, that tracks such things, puts smartphones at about 13.5% of cell-phone sales. I believe they are even including advanced multimedia devices, like the Rogue.

By the way - Nokia commands 49%, while RIM holds 19%, according to the May 2009 Gartner report.

Comments on the other great points will come later. Right now, I am not in the mood for posting. Getting steaks & seafood & ceviche & tortillas ready for supper & I am hungry.

10-11-09 05:24 PM
    Nowhere close - the Gartner Group, that tracks such things, puts smartphones at about 13.5% of cell-phone sales. I believe they are even including advanced multimedia devices, like the Rogue.

By the way - Nokia commands 49%, while RIM holds 19%, according to the May 2009 Gartner report.

Comments on the other great points will come later. Right now, I am not in the mood for posting. Getting steaks & seafood & ceviche & tortillas ready for supper & I am hungry.

Thats because no matter how you play it; Nokia is a superior brand when it comes to cell phones. I wish that Verizon carried more Nokias.
    The new Nokia Twist when I saw it on the verizon website looked extremely fisher price and stupid looking to me. However, when I went to the store and was able to hold it I realized that one again Nokia has made a solid and well thought out phone. I may be wrong about it because I have not had to support it yet. But really the phone is good and heavy and would put up with a lot, I believe.
    Nokia smartphones would be AWSOME on a cdma network and I'd be all over it if they were.

BTW sounds like a good dinner twinz... but you cant beat a crappy box of store brand mac and cheese... LMAO
    10-11-09 06:48 PM
    I read on some tech review site within the past week a wonderful article on selecting the "right" phone for you. It advised that you analyze your individual uses of the phone and then choose the device that was strong in those areas. I'm not sure there are a lot on these forums that really do that. They seem to want "it all", without actually realizing they may not "use" or "need" it all.
    So many people get railroaded into a smartphone who don't need one - image, misinformation, peer pressure, marketing are all in play.We see it with iPhone, but we see it more with BlackBerry.

Apple put out a device that hit a sweet spot - combining an MP3 player that is vastly superior to most phones, toys & a fairly decent phone. To counter the guy at work with the iPhone, Jenny heads to her VZW store looking for something similar. She gets an Omnia, a device which is far superior to any BlackBerry, but with a bit of a learning curve. Jenny doesn't like it, because it is "difficult to use" and she wants something that is "easy, like my friend's iPhone." She wants easy & ends up with a BlackBerry. Now she is in with the "cool people" and is happy. But Jenny got by for years with a Razr, the last "cool phone" out there. What changed? She wanted cool.

Before long, Jenny & her friend will notice the new guy's Imagio or Omnia2 & be envious of all the things he can so that they can't. They won't jump ship, because it is a Windows phone - Jenny didn't like that Omnia before, so she won't get another & her friend is already anti-Microsoft, being an iPhone person. Jenny & friend, while silently envious, might make some uneducated snide comments about the new guy's WM phone, and the new guy will snicker at their ignorance.

I think Twins did say something to that effect in an earlier post, also. Great advice, I say.
    Yes, I have said exactly that - and you have too. It is always nice to find other intelligent life on this planet.

None of us want to buy a device and then up hating it, or having it not perform to it's billing. But, rarely is anything perfect. There will always be some issues with any phone that we'd rather not be there. Choices. That is what we are given, and it is up to each of us to figure out what is best...whether it be for a phone, or a car or whatever.
    Exactly - but too often, people buy by what is cool & not by what they need.

BTW, just casual observation of people I see in public around me is that most of them carry a flip-phone from various manufacturers. A few are carrying the Curve 8330. I saw one with an HTC TP (not the new one). One lady I talked to, who is a working professional, just acquired a Razr and she seemed happy with it. She stated she had given some thought to getting a BB, but the carrier she is with did not have them. When I informed her that there was a carrier here in town that did have the Curve, and that Verizon was opening here in 9 days and she could have the choice of several BB's, she just replied that it really didn't matter to her what phone she had. I have this feeling that those of us on these boards are in the minority. Most people just don't give that much thought to the phone they will get....or to their carrier. They just go with what is the least expensive without knowing much at all about service or function.
    A couple weeks ago, I was one of the greeters at church. As is my nature, since I do telecom for a living, I watched phones in people's hands, on their sides or on their ears - some people can't even put them down on the way into church - sad, sad, sad. Anyway, in a somewhat informal survey, I counted - about 10% of the people that I saw were carrying smartphones. The rest were other devices. Now bear in mind, the area I go to church in caters to Carefree, Cave Creek & North Scottsdale, AZ. There are no poor people up here. These are folks who can afford whatever phone they want - and most of them are still using flips, clamshells & candybars.

The folks I've chatted with who don't have smartphones tell me the reason they don't is they don't want the complications - they want a phone that works & if they wanted to do computer stuff, they'd get on their computer. I let them play with mine - I get people tell me things like "oh, that is fancy" or "how do you ever learn how to make a call on that" - very seldom do these people find any interest in getting their own.

A little known fact - people in the lower half of the socio-economic side of society are far more liekly to want a smartphone than those in the upper-reaches of financial well-being.

I, myself, don't fit the mold for delving into such matters as deeply as I do. I am over 60, female and am not a corporate employee. I'm not a computer tech, nor have any training in any tech field whatsoever. I travel a lot..for business, not pleasure...and my phone is my lifeline to home and to clients, and in case of emergency, is needed to find help. I will soon be a Verizon customer, when the Altell transition is finalized next week. I am not under contract at the moment...and plan to purchase outright to get a new phone. It will not be a BB.
    Get one that does what you need it to do. Oh wait - you already were planning on that.

Very, very good post. I completely agree on multiple levels. I don't think everyone needs a smartphone, I know that my mom for example would be completely lost with something like that. Good post.
    Many people would flip out with a smartphone. My mother uses her cell phone for about 800 minutes per month - she hates any phone I have in my hand. My sister's husband is a postmaster - military vet, 20+ years USPS. He hates smartphones. He says he has too many things to think about already. I have a cousin who is a commercial real-estate broker who has tried all types of smartphones - the only one he has decided he can tolerate is an iPhone - but he got very interested in a TP2 & is waiting for it to return to stock.

Different strokes - which is why I snicker when people come here & belittle enV & Rogue-type phones. Those are more than most need.

Thats because no matter how you play it; Nokia is a superior brand when it comes to cell phones. I wish that Verizon carried more Nokias.
    The new Nokia Twist when I saw it on the verizon website looked extremely fisher price and stupid looking to me. However, when I went to the store and was able to hold it I realized that one again Nokia has made a solid and well thought out phone. I may be wrong about it because I have not had to support it yet. But really the phone is good and heavy and would put up with a lot, I believe.
    Nokia smartphones would be AWSOME on a cdma network and I'd be all over it if they were.
    Nokia's build quality is second to none. They lost ground in America because they didn't want to play the subsidy game, like other manufacturers did, which ticked off VZW & AT&T.

A half-arsed Nokia is twice a full-blown Tour.

BTW sounds like a good dinner twinz... but you cant beat a crappy box of store brand mac and cheese... LMAO
    Oh it was good - now, after all that food, wine & cheesecake, it is Scotch & a nice fat heater on the patio. Kids are in the pool, with no school for the next week.

10-11-09 11:18 PM
    I just messed w/the HTC Hero at Best Buy today and was told by a rep it may be coming to VZ. If so, I'm probably passing on the Storm II and definitely looking at the Hero. Also the three pics he mentioned are ones I'm considering as well. There are great review and even head to head videos on Youtube with the previously mentioned phones. Samsung Omnia HD (Not the 2) looks awesome as well does the HTC Touch Pro 2 and...crud, can't remember the name, but it's an HTC.
    10-11-09 11:33 PM
    There's this phone called the Imagio which is really flying under the radar. It didn't come with a known series name like the "Touch Pro" or "Diamond" or "Omnia," but the phone is packed full of almost everthing a smart phone user would want, and pretty much every Verizon application there is, the MediaFLO being the biggest bullet point.

I've said it in other threads, but I really think Android is going thrive now that Verizon seems to be backing it 100%.

Verizon will definitely be getting some Android handsets in the very near future, and if one is as high-end as the Hero (without the Rev. 0 issues), I personally would jump at it...
    10-12-09 04:58 AM
    ... but after dealing with the catastrophe that is know as the Storm for the last 10 Months, i'm extremely determined to avoid that again completely.
    It seems to me that the best way to avoid the situation you are in now is to be patient, determine what features you need and want on a device, gather as much information as possible from multiple sources about the devices you are interested in, wait for their release and see how they really perform in the hands of the buying public, visit the retail outlets and get some hands on experience with the new devices, gather more information about the reliability of the products you are interested in and then make a safe, sensible, and educated decision.
    10-12-09 07:47 AM
    It seems to me that the best way to avoid the situation you are in now is to be patient, determine what features you need and want on a device, gather as much information as possible from multiple sources about the devices you are interested in, wait for their release and see how they really perform in the hands of the buying public, visit the retail outlets and get some hands on experience with the new devices, gather more information about the reliability of the products you are interested in and then make a safe, sensible, and educated decision.
    The real issue is that for 30 days of that 10 months he had a chance to return it and didn't. No one feels bad.
    10-12-09 07:56 AM
    The real issue is that for 30 days of that 10 months he had a chance to return it and didn't. No one feels bad.
    Yes & no - there has been that thought process that has said, "BlackBerrys are the best - this device is brand-new & RIM will fix it."

They aren't & they didn't & a lot of folks got caught in the Storm.
    10-12-09 11:23 AM
    Yes & no - there has been that thought process that has said, "BlackBerrys are the best - this device is brand-new & RIM will fix it."

They aren't & they didn't & a lot of folks got caught in the Storm.
    There is also the thought process that some just can't wait to pay a premium for the newest, supposedly coolest, device out there. Then they get peeved when they become part of the debugging process. Then they want to repeat that behavior when the next device comes on the market.

10-12-09 12:34 PM
    [QUOTE]
    So many people get railroaded into a smartphone who don't need one - image, misinformation, peer pressure, marketing are all in play.We see it with iPhone, but we see it more with BlackBerry.
    I agree. For several years all I heard about was this "Blackberry" out there...used by the "business and political community". I had NO clue was it actually was, just that it was something different from what devices I was accustomed to seeing around. I think back then I had my first cell phone, which was a pre-paid Nokia, I think.
    There was "image and marketing" involved in my perception of BB. I always wondered what the fascination was with owning a BB.

Now she is in with the "cool people" and is happy. But Jenny got by for years with a Razr, the last "cool phone" out there. What changed? She wanted cool.
    Oh yes...the "cool" factor! As you state, the "cool" factor changes, faster and faster these days, it seems.

Exactly - but too often, people buy by what is cool & not by what they need.
    "Cool" also seem to be a generational thing, too. I've noticed many of the teens in this area carry the LG Rhythm.

A couple weeks ago, I was one of the greeters at church. As is my nature, since I do telecom for a living, I watched phones in people's hands, on their sides or on their ears - some people can't even put them down on the way into church - sad, sad, sad. Anyway, in a somewhat informal survey, I counted - about 10% of the people that I saw were carrying smartphones. The rest were other devices. Now bear in mind, the area I go to church in caters to Carefree, Cave Creek & North Scottsdale, AZ. There are no poor people up here. These are folks who can afford whatever phone they want - and most of them are still using flips, clamshells & candybars.
    Guess I've noticed this, also.

The folks I've chatted with who don't have smartphones tell me the reason they don't is they don't want the complications - they want a phone that works & if they wanted to do computer stuff, they'd get on their computer. I let them play with mine - I get people tell me things like "oh, that is fancy" or "how do you ever learn how to make a call on that" - very seldom do these people find any interest in getting their own.
    Probably most of these people also don't fully use the technology that their home computer can offer.

A little known fact - people in the lower half of the socio-economic side of society are far more liekly to want a smartphone than those in the upper-reaches of financial well-being.
    "Status symbol" perhaps?

Many people would flip out with a smartphone. My mother uses her cell phone for about 800 minutes per month - she hates any phone I have in my hand.
    How old is your mother? Just wondering if she was close to my age?

I'm still not certain what phone I'll get. I'll wait until the local Verizon store opens this next weekend, go in and play around with whatever they have on display. I'm in no hurry. My Curve is working fine. I won't get anything until some of the new phones drop, and have been out for a month or so. Then I'll make a decision. My town is so small, we have no Best Buy or any other national carriers. Oh, Walmart carries Alltel phones and will switch over to Verizon phones this coming weekend, too.

I really look forward to the day when phones won't be "branded", and we can choose from any device out there. Just hope I won't be too old to care by then! lol
    10-12-09 01:09 PM
    That is a good point, but in this situation is somewhat irrelevant. See, the phone was bought on launch, and given to me as a Christmas present. So in all actuality, i only had about 5 days or so to make my decision as to whether i wanted to stay or not. And seeing as how the novelty hadn't worn off, or since it was my first BlackBerry and i wasn't positive as to what they usually perform like, i had no idea i'd hate it this much.

Sorry for the rant, and useless explanation, i just want to make sure that people don't have the wrong perception and think that somewhere i developed a sense of entitlement that doesn't belong.
    10-12-09 03:23 PM
    How old is your mother? Just wondering if she was close to my age?
    I believe I am closer to you than she is.

She was born in 1932, and I came around in 1951, if that tells you anything. .

10-12-09 03:42 PM
    I believe I am closer to you than she is.

She was born in 1932, and I came around in 1951, if that tells you anything. .

Ok...I guess we are just a couple of years apart in age...1948 here.

So, you've lived through what I have...the enormous advances made in tech throughout the decades...and marveled how they have changed society...some good, some not so much so.
    10-12-09 05:12 PM
    Ok...I guess we are just a couple of years apart in age...1948 here.

So, you've lived through what I have...the enormous advances made in tech throughout the decades...and marveled how they have changed society...some good, some not so much so.
    That I have - excluded from Vietnam bevause of medical issues.

I had a mobile radio-telephone many years ago - call the operator & pay $1.50/min for a local call after an operator call initiation fee.

I am just one of the old goats around here who is a target for every young know-it-all who tries to shoot me down. Problem is, I shoot back.

Too many of these advances that people are latching onto are not good - giving up privacy & individuality never is. I still shake my head at all of the ignorant & selfish dummies who exclaim that their cellphone or smartphone is a necessity - it is because they want it to be. If these things were anything more than a convenience - often a toy to keep up with the neighbors - we'd not have made it to 2009 & would've been an extinct species centuries ago.

10-12-09 09:13 PM
    I don't want to act as though i've seen nearly as much as Twins or derpudel, because truthfully i haven't. Nowhere close. But in my short time on this earth (18 almost 19 years) i have seen what effects advances in technology can have on our planet. Both positive and negative. And i can't help but agree with the recent viewpoints that have been stated in the thread. I'm happy that we as a people have learned where to draw the line with technology (at least some people) and how to utilize it to better people across the world. But i still can't help but feel that we're not doing enough. People starving, and dying from a myriad of diseases all across the earth. The immensely impoverished that litter the streets of the world, and the financially elite that control our world are so imbalanced it's troubling. But, to many, what's my opinion matter, i'm just an ignorant 18 year old kid right? haha.
    10-13-09 12:01 AM
    Even before we climbed down from the trees, there was most probably a hierarchy in place within a group...those that had more rank/power than others. Fast forward a few million years and those characteristics are still present. In light of this, there will probably always be poverty and disease and starvation. Man needs 3 things: shelter, food and water to survive. In order to avoid extinction, he must be able to reproduce and survive long enough to continue this process. I don't see that any cell phone will meet any of these needs.

When we slowly give up our privacy and individuality, our society is threatened by handing over too much power. I've witnessed the push towards "globalization" and this scares me. Technology is advancing this as never before.

We don't "need" cell phones. I got along just fine without one for most of my life. Yes, they do make life easier and more convenient for me. Just as many other technologies do. However, if I could turn back the clock and go back to life the way it was in my childhood, I'd forfeit it all. Life was simpler then. Instead of spending so much time on our computers or peering at our cell phones, we read books more, spent more time with our families, and worried less.

Now, instead of talking to someone, we text them. Or email them. The art of conversation is being lost. Our entire social interaction is undergoing vast changes due to technology (think what the automobile did to change society).

I am not advocating that any of us turn back and climb back into the trees. Just that we don't forget that we could survive if we had to without the latest from Samsung or RIM.
    10-13-09 01:17 AM
    Um yea see uh mmmmm ya know um ya'll really got me itchin on checkin WM devices out, I'm very serious! I love being able to tweak and stuff like that so I think I will have to check'em out!

Thnx, Tripster

10-13-09 01:40 AM
    Even before we climbed down from the trees, there was most probably a hierarchy in place within a group...those that had more rank/power than others. Fast forward a few million years and those characteristics are still present. In light of this, there will probably always be poverty and disease and starvation. Man needs 3 things: shelter, food and water to survive. In order to avoid extinction, he must be able to reproduce and survive long enough to continue this process. I don't see that any cell phone will meet any of these needs.

When we slowly give up our privacy and individuality, our society is threatened by handing over too much power. I've witnessed the push towards "globalization" and this scares me. Technology is advancing this as never before.

We don't "need" cell phones. I got along just fine without one for most of my life. Yes, they do make life easier and more convenient for me. Just as many other technologies do. However, if I could turn back the clock and go back to life the way it was in my childhood, I'd forfeit it all. Life was simpler then. Instead of spending so much time on our computers or peering at our cell phones, we read books more, spent more time with our families, and worried less.

Now, instead of talking to someone, we text them. Or email them. The art of conversation is being lost. Our entire social interaction is undergoing vast changes due to technology (think what the automobile did to change society).

I am not advocating that any of us turn back and climb back into the trees. Just that we don't forget that we could survive if we had to without the latest from Samsung or RIM.
    Very well put.

Not to completely disregard what you just said, as i feel that it's all really important, i just don't really have anything else to add, because i feel that you covered most of it yourself.

But i'd like to get back to my original topic. I've recently been on YouTube and a few other websites looking at reviews/previews of some of the phones that have been suggested to me. Mainly HTC and Samsung devices, because i know what all of the BlackBerry's on the market can do. I am curious though, does anyone have an idea what the new Curve coming to Verizon will be like? I love the Curve's keyboard, and i'd like to try something like that out if possible.

But in regards to the HTC devices. I don't think that an all touchscreen device is really the way i want to go. In comparing the Imagio and Touch Pro 2, i feel that i'd be more satisfied with the TP2 than with the Imagio simply because of the Physical Keyboard. Now in comparison between the Imagio and Hero, i feel that i'd personally be more satisfied with the Hero because of it's Android OS. I know that there are privacy issues, but i feel that it has so much in front of it, that if embraced now, it can be something i'm extremely satisfied with in the long run. But who knows? Maybe if i were to get my hands on those devices i would have a completely different outlook? Who knows. But i feel that something that may be helpful for a lot of people that are like me, and are open to considering other devices besides the line of BlackBerry's available would be to outline what we need from a phone, and what and how a BlackBerry can accomplish those things. Here's mine.

What I Need In A Phone:

Email
    SMS
    MMS
    Good Camera
    Very Responsive
    Fast (In terms of processing)
    Good Build Quality
    Customizable
    Stable OS
    Good Browser
    Physical Keyboard (unless something else is absolutely perfect)
    GPS
    Reliable

Now here's my point. Out of all of the things i need, Which of those are handled better by a BlackBerry? The only one is Email. And that might even be iffy. I can guarantee, that a majority of BlackBerry owners are those like me, and if they'd make a simple list like i just did, they would realize that they're hands aren't tied, and they can go outside the world of their beloved BlackBerry.

So what is it that makes people outside of company executives, and Government employees "need" a BlackBerry? My reason. They Dont. It's the BlackBerry Mystique. The "coolness" factor that so many speak of. And you know the scary part? If RIM doesn't do something about their build quality, i feel like that whole "BlackBerry Cool Factor" might disappear a little quicker than people expect. Twins, i feel like you're on to something. And for RIM's sake, i hope they listen.
    10-13-09 01:43 AM
    I never thought BlackBerrys were cool. Children are cool. A 1957 Fuel Injected Vette is cool. The morning sunrise & evening sunset that God gives me here in the desert southwest is cool - no, scratch that, those are awesome.

BlackBerry, for me, is just another hammer on the workbench, another wrench in the toolbox. I don't expect smartphones to be like Snap-On or Fluke, but I also don't want to pay $150 for a tool that only does one thing well, at least not if that one thing is something I do only rarely. Nor do I want a 15mm Snap-On wrench in a drawer of Chinese-made off-brands. I want an entire assortment of good tools.

In the case of smartphones, BlackBerry is no longer like Snap-On or Fluke, nor is it North-American. The average value-added North-American content of a BlackBerry is less than that of most HTC or Samsung smartphones.

I want a hammer that also takes good care of screws, nuts, bolts & circuits. No one has made one of those yet, but other devices make for better hammers than do BlackBerrys. They can do more & entertain me, too.

I equate BlackBerrys with the old flip phone, in a sea of feature phones. Yes, you can text & view Web pages on that Razr, but is it really as capable as a Rogue or enV Touch? With the Razr, it is simpler to make & receive phone calls & even dial, but it does nothing else well.

There was a poll done recently that I will have to find again. BlackBerry users overwhelmingly placed email as their number one feature. Apple iPhone users chose browsing & media. WM & Palm users had no one area that stood out, but tops for WM was the ability to customize & Internet capability, followed by media, files & then email. For the Palm, the calendar & organizational functions came in first.

So I guess if all you want is a hot-rodded Razr, get BlackBerry. If you want a device that does many things besides email & enough to wow your iPhone carrying friends (they snicker & sniff at BlackBerry), you have to go with something that does so much more & more capably. Just today, I had someone on their third iPhone wowed enough with Imagio they wanted to switch to VZW for one.

As for the save the world crowd, we can each do it on our own. I don't need the government stealing my money to fund abortions in Mexico.

10-13-09 02:13 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD