01-17-09 11:33 AM
38 12
tools
    I'm glad I have AT&T then, as they do not REQUIRE their customers to sign up for unwanted or un-needed plans. You should be able to use the phone, any phone, for "just" a phone and not be required to sign up for a data plan... For this reason I would never sign up for Verizon...
    01-16-09 11:09 PM
    Great analogy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree completely, but that choice should be up to the consumer.. not the carrier.
    01-16-09 11:10 PM
    Just last month, I actually wanted to port a number over from Sprint to Verizon and use my old Palm Treo 700p, but without the data plan. Sure enough, Verizon wouldn't let me do it even though the data feature can easily be disabled on a Treo.

I ended up disconnecting the phone line at Sprint. Verizon lost out on another line. O well.
    01-16-09 11:15 PM
    Its not REQUIRED.. but since data rates on their NationWide plans (came out Nov 2007) are $1.99 per MB (rounded up to the next whole meg), if you plan on using the web from your phone, getting a $15 per month Vcast Vpack can end up being worth it so your data cost doesn't sky rocket!
    What happened to the thread on HoFo about data plans being required on all phones?
    01-16-09 11:54 PM
    If you just want to use the data plan and have NO minutes, then the plan is 34.99
    01-17-09 12:11 AM
    No PAYG minutes either (say .25 or .45$ each)?

According to my VZW rep, that 30$ is not standalone. The BB solution is 50-60$.
    01-17-09 12:35 AM
    As I work for verizon as well there are some phones you can use without a data plan such as palm centro and motorola qs but that's about the only ones you can get without data. However with att you need to activate data in order to be eligible for the rebate on a smart phone. It was on the fine print of tags next to the phones and when I used to work for car toys it was the same way as far as att went not to sure about verizon though

01-17-09 12:35 AM
    Maybe you need to form your own carrier company.
    01-17-09 12:36 AM
    I will unlock it for you so you can go to AT&T
    01-17-09 12:39 AM
    I will unlock it for you so you can go to AT&T
    And I will unclog the hairball in his sink and it will spurt oil
    01-17-09 12:47 AM
    If you are a Verizon customer, look into employee discounting.. Bring your paycheck stub to a corporate location and chances are you get a discount not only on your monthly bill for your calling plan, but also the Data feature you have as well.. I'm a rep for Verizon and thats how I make most of my business by qualifying customers on Employee discounts.. You could get up to 20% off monthly..
    THIS. I get 20% off my monthly plan AND the $30 unlimited data. This is one of the main reasons (along with the network and the CS) why I decided not to go with AT&T. As far as data, yeah choice is better than no choice, but really, why get a smart phone without data? And if you really want that, you can always go Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mo. For all the VZW reps, what happens if you cancel your data package? I don't plan to; I'm just curious.

Regarding the cost of the data plan: it is $30 a month added to an existing minutes/SMS plan for unlimited personal use. I believe the $45 is for BES?
    01-17-09 12:58 AM
    If you are a Verizon customer, look into employee discounting.. Bring your paycheck stub to a corporate location and chances are you get a discount not only on your monthly bill for your calling plan, but also the Data feature you have as well.. I'm a rep for Verizon and thats how I make most of my business by qualifying customers on Employee discounts.. You could get up to 20% off monthly..
    I am a Verizon customer, so I guess I should look into employee discounting... even though I don't work for Verizon?! How does this work? I'm happy to bring my paystub from my other job (nothing related to Verizon) over to a Verizon store and take my 20% off. Was that a typo Kaptainlobo, or is this some kind of deal that I'm missing out on?
    01-17-09 11:29 AM
    You can get employee discounts depending on YOUR employer. My husband works for Slumberland and that qualifies is for a corporate discount.

01-17-09 11:33 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD