01-17-09 11:33 AM
38 12
tools
    Is there away around purchasing a Blackberry and using it on the verizon network w/o having to sign up for their data plan?

i have a co-worker who has a Curve, but didn't want the data plan, so he had to cancel his BB and buy a new LG phone. I told him that with AT&T you can use your BB as a phone, etc, w/o having to have a data plan..

The Verizon rep told me they require a data plan... when I told him that AT&T doesn't require a data plan to use a blackberry.. he said "I dont understand how they do that." to which I replied back "what? you mean not gouge their customers like Verizon does for wanting to use a phone as a phone without getting ripped off on a data plan?"

Can you sign up for a data plan, then cancell it and still use your BB with Verizon?
    01-16-09 03:53 PM
    I work for verizon and no there is no way around it. Even if you do an esn change the system will automatically make the change and you can not decline it. Even if you bought the phone out right and put it on the line..

The reasoning i had been told was that they have credited so much money back due to people using the data without the data plan and have finally had enough with it. This actually was instigated the day the storm was released. It was this way so that they could sell the phone for 199.99
    01-16-09 03:58 PM
    Nope... If you go through Verizon, you must have the data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 03:58 PM
    Thanks just B.S.. I'm glad I'm not with Verizon...

can my friend unlock his curve and use it on AT&T?
    01-16-09 04:02 PM
    CDMA phones will not work on GSM networks. Why buy a BB and not get a data plan? Kind of like buying a big screen high def lcd tv and using an antenna to watch tv. Sure you'll get to watch something but you won't get the full potential of the tv.

01-16-09 04:11 PM
    Thanks just B.S.. I'm glad I'm not with Verizon...

can my friend unlock his curve and use it on AT&T?
    No, the Curve 8330 on Verizon is CDMA, and ATT is a GSM network. Not compatible.
    01-16-09 04:12 PM
    Blackberry is useless without a data plan anyway

01-16-09 04:13 PM
    Thanks for the answer.. Well some people like the functionality of the BB w/o the need for the data plan.

So.. I guess there is no way to use a BB phone on the Verizon network w/o having a data plan. even if the phone were to be unlocked, it wouldn't matter???

Also, I didn't realize the Verizon phones do not use SIM cards.. weird...
    01-16-09 04:14 PM
    Why would you not want a data plan?

01-16-09 04:14 PM
    Well I can think of $44.99 reasons why I wouldn't want the Verizon data plan..
    Last edited by Rockdog97; 01-16-09 at 05:59 PM.
    01-16-09 04:24 PM
    Well I can think of $49.99 reasons why I wouldn't want the Verizon data plan..
    FYI, the VZW data plan options are $29.99 and $44.99
    01-16-09 04:27 PM
    It's really not BS at all. My plan on Verizon is $30 (they have a new one for people who use BIS and not BES). I don't know why you'd want a BlackBerry with no data plan.
    01-16-09 04:50 PM
    Thanks for the answer.. Well some people like the functionality of the BB w/o the need for the data plan.
    Well the BB was made for push email so if you don't have a data plan exactly what functionality do you have that even the most basic of phones don't have?

01-16-09 04:50 PM
    no way around it............ kinda sucks but its usefull because i recieve alot of data
    01-16-09 04:53 PM
    And what if I wanted a stand alone data plan with separate paid minutes?

That 30$ magically transfigures into 60$.
    01-16-09 05:03 PM
    The $30 and $45 BB plans do not include minutes. Different people want/need different minutes. We don't have any SMS. Our choice.

01-16-09 05:08 PM
    If you are a Verizon customer, look into employee discounting.. Bring your paycheck stub to a corporate location and chances are you get a discount not only on your monthly bill for your calling plan, but also the Data feature you have as well.. I'm a rep for Verizon and thats how I make most of my business by qualifying customers on Employee discounts.. You could get up to 20% off monthly..
    01-16-09 05:52 PM
    I'm simply asking on behalf of my co-worker. he likes the phone, the ability to sync with outlook, and other features that are on the phone - he just doens't want or need email or internet. I agree that you wont get everything out of your BB w/o a data plan, but some people dont want this feature but still love the phone.

I personally have a Bold (with AT&T) and had to cancel my data plan due to household budget issues. I would never give up my Bold just because I dont have the data plan.. I love the phone and all that I can do with it - even w/o the data plan..

but I guess if i was with Verizon i'd be hosed.. I would have had to get rid of my Bold just because I had to drop the data plan.. to me that's bullcrap...
    Last edited by Rockdog97; 01-16-09 at 06:04 PM.
    01-16-09 06:02 PM
    You can buy the phone with the data plan in order to get the better discount. After maybe or a month or so you can cancel the data plan and just say you can't afford it for a while.
    01-16-09 06:05 PM
    You can buy the phone with the data plan in order to get the better discount. After maybe or a month or so you can cancel the data plan and just say you can't afford it for a while.
    Not according to what my co-worker said. He had (acutally still has it) a Curve with the data plan, but he never used email or the internet (his wife bought him the phone).. then when he went to cancel the data plan, the Verizon rep said the phone would not work w/o a data plan. so he had to cancel his BB and data plan and buy a new LG phone (the one with the bluetooth headset integrated into the back of the phone)...
    01-16-09 06:12 PM
    You have to have a data plan if you're using any of Verizon's smartphones.
    01-16-09 06:16 PM
    Not according to what my co-worker said. He had (acutally still has it) a Curve with the data plan, but he never used email or the internet (his wife bought him the phone).. then when he went to cancel the data plan, the Verizon rep said the phone would not work w/o a data plan. so he had to cancel his BB and data plan and buy a new LG phone (the one with the bluetooth headset integrated into the back of the phone)...
    Your co-worker can easily call CS and tell them to cancel the data plan. If a rep told him that the Berry wouldn't work without a data plan and made your co-worker believe that his/her Berry wouldn't work at all, the rep lied.
    01-16-09 07:30 PM
    You have to have a data plan if you're using any of Verizon's smartphones.
    Actually, you now have to have a data plan on "dumbphones" too.
    01-16-09 08:38 PM
    Your co-worker can easily call CS and tell them to cancel the data plan. If a rep told him that the Berry wouldn't work without a data plan and made your co-worker believe that his/her Berry wouldn't work at all, the rep lied.
    Not correct as far as Verizon is concerned.

Their policy IS... All Blackberries and PDA's need a data plan.

For blackberries there is the $29.99 Email/Web for blackberry (aka BIS only), and the $44.99 Blackberry Unlimited Data plan. The only difference, the $44.99 is required if you want connect to a BES. They do not offer a pay as you go data plan for blackberries.

For PDA, there was the $44.99 Unlimited Data plan, They came out with an Email/Web $29.99 (when launched it was only available for 4 devices but expanded to include more)... There was also the "Pay as you go" which cost $0.00 per month but cost pennies per meg. (You used to be able to get the Pay as you go, then apply a data block, meaning you didn't pay for data, but it was also blocked so you couldn't use it)

Because of VZW using CDMA which relies on the phone's ESN/MEID to activate in the carrier's system, as soon as you try to activate one of these devices, you have to select an available plan. Don't pick a data plan, it wont let you put the device on your account.
    Actually, you now have to have a data plan on "dumbphones" too.
    Its not REQUIRED.. but since data rates on their NationWide plans (came out Nov 2007) are $1.99 per MB (rounded up to the next whole meg), if you plan on using the web from your phone, getting a $15 per month Vcast Vpack can end up being worth it so your data cost doesn't sky rocket!
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-16-09 at 11:06 PM.
    01-16-09 11:01 PM
    CDMA phones will not work on GSM networks. Why buy a BB and not get a data plan? Kind of like buying a big screen high def lcd tv and using an antenna to watch tv. Sure you'll get to watch something but you won't get the full potential of the tv.

Great analogy.

01-16-09 11:08 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD