Hello All,

I am new to this site but I have been a BlackBerry user for several years now. I just recently switched back to Verizon Wireless after about 4 years with T-Mobile seeing as the service does not work at my new house even though the T-Mobile US corporate headquarters are less than 5 minutes away. But anyway, I just switched from a 7290 to an 8830.

One of the reasons I bought the 8830 of the Curve was because it had a bigger battery at 1400 mAhr compared with 1100 mAhr, but after reviewing the technical data on BlackBerrys website. I noticed that the 8830 using CDMA technology gets aprox half the batter life as the GSM version.

I had always thought that CDMA technology required much less power than GSM but apparently that is not true. I also noticed that even with the smaller battery the Curve gets better battery life...oh poo.

I love my new BlackBerry anyway and the speed of the network is wonderful.

Please let me know if I am wrong.

Also as a side note. On the phones box I read that to use the phone internationally I need a data plan. Is this true? I used my 7290 on Rogers in Canada, Mobile World in the UK, and T-Mobile in Germany all without a data plan. That said its not really a big deal because I still have my 7290.
    Last edited by BlazinBWF; 12-01-07 at 11:57 PM.
    12-01-07 11:48 PM
    re: Is it true? CDMA technology uses more battery life than GSM technology?

The answer is yes! CDMA technology offers lower talk time than GSM because the transmitter (CDMA) is active all the time.
    GSM has higher talk time than CDMA based phones because the transmitter (TDMA) does not require constant transmit. The transmitter can be idle when not actually transmitting packets.

Here is a link to a good article that explains the power requirements and more of CDMA vs GSM technologies.

Mobicare

I assume that you receive a good signal via the CDMA network? If not your Blackberry will automatically up the power of your device to try to capture a weak signal - resulting in increased battery drain.
    Last edited by Berryman; 12-02-07 at 01:00 PM.
    12-02-07 12:49 PM
    kewl. now if a GSM service was as reliable as VZW i'd be good. =)
    12-02-07 08:38 PM
    I think also the battery life may not be as good due to EVDO. As far as I know, there is no GSM bberry that runs on 3G.
    12-02-07 09:16 PM
    In fact there is a UMTS/3G Blackberry, the 8707v.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry 8707v smartphone

According to RIM it's approx. battery life is:

UMTS: up to 400 hours, GSM: up to 400 hours (Standby time)
    UMTS: up to 165 minutes, GSM: up to 300 minutes (Talk time)

Talk/active UMTS figures are pretty low
    12-03-07 09:20 AM
    re: Is it true? CDMA technology uses more battery life than GSM technology?

The answer is yes! CDMA technology offers lower talk time than GSM because the transmitter (CDMA) is active all the time.
    GSM has higher talk time than CDMA based phones because the transmitter (TDMA) does not require constant transmit. The transmitter can be idle when not actually transmitting packets.

Here is a link to a good article that explains the power requirements and more of CDMA vs GSM technologies.

Mobicare

I assume that you receive a good signal via the CDMA network? If not your Blackberry will automatically up the power of your device to try to capture a weak signal - resulting in increased battery drain.
    This is incredibly interesting. Thanks for the post!
    12-05-07 06:25 AM
    When I was in Europe for vacation and in GSM mode using a prepaid Vodaphone sim card in my 8830, I noticed the battery life increased DRAMATICALLY! The battery would last a full week on a single charge, compared to a few days on a CDMA network.
    12-11-07 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD