I'm going to be traveling to Australia and New Zealand on vacation and I'm curious about being able to use my phone over there. I only want to be able to use it occassionally for like calling to set up an excursion or make a dinner reservation or get directions to some place, etc.
    Does anyone have experience with this and what tips or advice do you have for me? I'm curious about costs and coverage and if it's seemless or I need to do something to activate it. Thanks in advance.
    06-07-10 09:02 AM
    The global data plan is great for this.

its $65/month (pro-rated of course) if you have a calling plan. it gives you unlimited data. this is in place of your $30 or $45 / month BIS/BES plan, so if you're only over there for a couple of weeks, it'll cost you about $20-25 extra for data.

Calls on the other hand will run you ~$2/minute.. so do the math, it might be better to buy a prepaid sim for calls, depending on how many you expect to make.

Calling From New Zealand
    06-07-10 10:51 AM
    I am not sure about NZ but, when I went to Europe, for an extra $5/month over the plan mentioned above, the Global plan reduced phone calls to a still not cheap, $0.99/minute. So for approx $70/month, UNlimited data and somewhat reduced price phone calls. Again, now sure if that plan works in NZ so call those global folks and check.
    06-07-10 07:24 PM
    I am not sure about NZ but, when I went to Europe, for an extra $5/month over the plan mentioned above, the Global plan reduced phone calls to a still not cheap, $0.99/minute. So for approx $70/month, UNlimited data and somewhat reduced price phone calls. Again, now sure if that plan works in NZ so call those global folks and check.
    The rate doesn't change if you're in NZ.

CDMA Standard Roaming Per Minute Rate: $1.99
    CDMA Value Plan Roaming Per Minute Rate: $1.99
    06-08-10 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD