I am going to Israel for 10 days this summer. What do I need to know about traveling oversees with a Verizon Storm? Is it cheaper to get an Israeli sim? What kind of sim do I need for a 9530? Verizon said they would unlock it. What is the best carrier? Can I get data? Cheap alternatives for communication both in Israel and back home?
    02-24-09 06:50 PM
    I'm pretty sure the Storm is a world phone, so you should be able to put a SIM chip in there (just make sure of this beforehand). And I'm guessing you're going on the Birthright trip, so you will probably be directed toward Israelphones.com. They seem to offer rental SIM cards in addition to rental phones. However, you will probably want to make sure that you can have BIS turned off on the SIM card for the duration, if only because you're never going to use it. I mean, if it's an option. If not, then you're going to have to get the whole phone.

One more thing: just because you signed up for the trip doesn't mean you are definitely going. They very well might waitlist you, especially with some of the funding issues coming up in the program. And if you're 18 (as opposed to closer to 26), odds are that you probably will be waitlisted.

Signed,
    A Birthright alumnus (Mayanot, Jan. '08)
    02-25-09 12:32 AM
    I can say that I know the storm IS a world phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 03:36 AM
    I go to Israel 2 or 3 times a year. The best solution for me has been to buy a sim card from Cellcom or Orange Israel. This also gives me an Israeli phone number which I can use whenever I am there.
    I also have an international data plan with AT&T for my BB so I use the sim card in an unlocked el cheapo phone (one that I had before upgrading to BB).
    This has worked for me so far.
    02-25-09 07:33 AM
    Has anyone used verizon's world plan?
    02-25-09 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD